The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2000, 12:47 PM   #1
westvirginia

I am new to reloading but already have acquired a Lee loadmaster (progressive) and a Hornady 007 (single stage w/ auto priming). I will probably end up loading a bunch of calibers but right now I have Lee carbide 3-die sets for .45 ACP, .44 Mag and a Hornady 3-die titanium nitride set for .38/.357. I have no crimp dies, but from reading here I think I should get some. (The Hornady bullet seat die may also crimp, I can't remember) I'd say I definitely need a crimp w/all but maybe the light .38 special loads. What do you all think? What dies to get, etc. I think I have a pretty good handle on the loading process and I'm looking forward to really getting things going. I just don't want to damage any expensive firearms or (more importantly) any people!
(BTW, FWIW, I bought the Hornady Saturday and by last night I already had fifty cases prepped for primers, powder and bullets. I can't get the automatic priming system to seat the primers, but I worked without it. I have owned the Lee since early October and have yet to get a usable loaded round from it. The carbide in the sizer has chipped at the bottom, I can't get the auto primer feed to work reliably, and now the indexer has locked up, necessitating its disassembly once again!)
Old April 17, 2000, 06:00 PM   #2
kframe19

Your Lee die sets will also crimp your loads.

This is done by making the crimping die part of the bullet seating die.

You screw the die up and down in the press to give you the amount of crimp you want.

The Lee instructions should describe it in a little more detail, but, like just about everything else Lee writes, it isn't the greatest dialog.