The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Vittles

Reloading .45 200 gr Plated RN

Hi, hoping to get some help here. I am new to reloading and am trying to find a load for some 200 gr plated lead round nose bullets. I am using titegroup powder and once fired brass with CCI LP primers. I have looked on Hogdon reloading center and did not find any load data for what I want to do. Lyman manual was no help either. From what I have found, I was thinking of starting with 4.7 gr of powder to keep the velocity around 800 fps. What I don't know is how you figure out the overall length of the completed round. What are some reloading manuals I can look at? By the way, I just want to end up with target loads for paper.

thanks!

Vittles

Last edited by Vittles; November 4, 2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Forgot information
Old November 5, 2014, 01:06 AM   #2
steve4102

OAL is always firearm and bullet specific, never manual specific. The finished loaded round must fit-feed-fire.

Our moderator here Unclenick has put this illustration together for us.

Once you find #3, keep reducing OAL if necessary until the rounds cycle smoothly through the action.

Old November 5, 2014, 09:03 PM   #3
mmb713

I load Xtreme's 200gr plated RN for my 45 Auto pistols almost exclusively now. I determined my OAL by gradually seating a bullet into a case and measuring bullet diameter at the case mouth. When the diameter went from .451" to .450" the entire shank of the bullet was within the case and only the ogive was outside of the case, just like on factory hardball ammo. If the bullet is seated longer part of the shank will be outside of the case and could potentially get jammed into the rifling of a barrel with a short leade. If it is seated shorter you will be crimping onto the ogive and could have headspacing problems. With Xtreme's 200gr plated RN the OAL is 1.265". At this OAL it will headspace properly in any 45 Auto chamber and will have a good crimp.

Xtreme told me to use jacketed bullet data with their plated bullets, although on their website they recommend keeping velocity below 1200fps. You will not approach this limit in 45 Auto with any published data. Other people say to use lead data with plated bullets. Hodgdon's reloading data center shows slightly higher charges for a 200gr LSWC with Titegroup than it does with a Speer JHP. I would use the jacketed data and start with 4.7gr and load up to Hodgdon's max of 5.2gr and look for best accuracy.
Old November 5, 2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Thoroughly covered in just two posts.

Nice work guys.
Old November 7, 2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Vittles

Thanks for the great advice and patience with a noob! I have received less helpful advice in other forums.