The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 19, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
SanctusBells

Join the NRA! (as little as $10/year)

It really is high time for everyone concerned about maintaining our Second Amendment rights to join the NRA. The NRA is far from perfect but it's by far our best and strongest voice in WDC.

All the whining, anger and bitterness needs to be suspended for a while. It can't be used as an excuse for apathy during these current times. If you can't or don't want to hack the $35/year dues, you can join for $10.00/year sans the monthly magazine.

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/s...aignID=nranews

Click on "Junior, Distinguished and Other Memberships" if you want to sign-up for the $10.00/year membership.

It takes about 90 seconds using a credit or debit card.
Old December 19, 2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Nickel Plated

To be honest I kind of don't get the whole "Join the NRA for cheap mentality" These kinds of organizations run on money.
If you're trying to find the cheapest way to join and then think that your petty $10/year membership alone is enough, it's really kind of pointless.

I'm not saying that people have to give up a week's paycheck every year to keep the NRA going, but if all you can spend is $10/year, you're better off just sending it straight to the NRA-ILA instead of blowing it on memberships.

Just MHO
Old December 20, 2012, 03:29 AM   #3
SanctusBells

They also "run" on the number of members they have. If someone cannot afford the $35.00 then go for the $10.00 membership. Far too many simply don't join at all.

No, they really aren't better off sending it to the NRA-ILA. This really isn't the time to debate/whine/critique. It's time to join the NRA.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:24 AM   #4
philobeddoe

Life member, declined free gifts and periodicals, waived all mail ... they spend no money on my membership, and my membership is fully paid ... now any money I send is strictly a donation.

Boosting membership numbers is important, so if $10/year is all you got, I say join, and if you've got an extra ten bucks, sign up a friend.

I just don't see how it hurts.

Allegedly membership has been growing dramatically since last week, the number I heard was 8k/day.

Good. More is better.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
These kinds of organizations run on money.
If you're trying to find the cheapest way to join and then think that your petty $10/year membership alone is enough
Hey, it's better than not joining at all. There are 4 million NRA members, which is about 2.6% of actual gun owners in this country. We've already got apathy.

Joining the NRA is great, and it helps support the shooting culture. However, regular membership dues don't go towards fighting legal and political battles. Those activities must be supported by direct donation. Consider donating to the NRA-ILA to help.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Come and take it.

NRA will make compromises. This is unacceptable. So I think the money is better spent on the GOA. Just my two cents.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Race Bannon

Join them both.
Old December 20, 2012, 11:01 AM   #8
buck460XVR

Quote:
It really is high time for everyone concerned about maintaining our Second Amendment rights to join the NRA.

No, the proper time woulda been years ago or when folks first had ANY concerns and interest in their 2A rights and responsible gun ownership. Waiting till the last minute or joining now when the threat is already at the door is one reason we are experiencing this threat. Same as the panic buying going on right now for ARs, Hi-Cap mags and ammo. Had folks bought them during the calm, there would be no shortages or the price gouging we see now. The time to look for a life boat is before the water is up to your armpits. While I agree the NRA is the best organized defense we have and anyone with any interest in gun ownership at all should already be a member, I have little sympathy for those that hoped the rest of us that supported the NRA in the past would pay the way for them also.
Old December 20, 2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

One can quibble but as a long time member - have you ever heard anyone say they fear the GOA?

Get the point?

Join both if you wish.
Old December 20, 2012, 11:16 AM   #10
leadchucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe
Life member, declined free gifts and periodicals, waived all mail ... they spend no money on my membership, and my membership is fully paid ... now any money I send is strictly a donation.
Boosting membership numbers is important, so if $10/year is all you got, I say join, and if you've got an extra ten bucks, sign up a friend.
I just don't see how it hurts.
Allegedly membership has been growing dramatically since last week, the number I heard was 8k/day.
Good. More is better.
Been an NRA member for quite a few years. I do want the periodical so I can keep up with what they're doing. I've always opted not to receive the free gifts, offers, other mail, etc., when the opportunity arose. It may help a little

I don't have a lot of spare cash for political contributions, so I haven't contributed much to the NRA/ILA. Now I'm going to try to find a few extra bucks to send them, maybe even some of my ammo money.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Come and take it.

before you cast a little coin in the way of the NRA take the time to ask a few veterans who came back with post traumatic stress disorder who tried to buy a gun what they think about a law the NRA helped to pass.

A formal apology to those veterans is needed if the NRA is really serious about getting membership up.

-------------------------------

grandfathering in gun bans seems safe enough for current gun owners but consider this.

After the assyrians were defeated outside of Jerusalem, the babylonians sent ambassadors to Jerusalem. Hezekiah gave them a tour of the palace and the treasures. The prophet told him that after Hezekiah died, sometime in the future, Jerusalem would fall to the babylonians. Hezekiah wasn't terribly upset about it because he thought "I will enjoy my life without having to live to see it".

That may be true, but it is a bit shortsighted if you feel strongly about your children having the same freedoms you had.

-----------------------------------

The NRA must understand there cannot be compromise on this issue. Anyone who is a member of "the people" has the right to keep and bear arms. It may not seem like the best policy right now, but we need to trust the forefathers who set the old boundary markers.

Last edited by Come and take it.; December 20, 2012 at 01:25 PM.

Tags
join , membership , nra