The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Medicpelle

Browning Model 30 Question

Recently picked up a Browning Model 30 in great shape but I am not familiar with this gun. The gun came with two barrels, 26" and 30". Neither barrels look to be able to accept a traditional threaded choke. Are these barrels pre-choked as in diameter or is there a certain choke that I would have to purchase?
Old January 11, 2018, 11:24 PM   #2
Virginian

That should be a BPS. I thought they all had choke tubes but I guess some early ones did not. The fixed choke designation will be denoted by the number of stars on the barrel near the receiver. I would bet one is Full and one is IMP Cyl. If it fits and feels good to you, it is a very good pump gun. Make sure you can reach the fore end easily because if you hold it way back your hand will block the ejection - the notch in the bottom rear of the fore end.
Old January 12, 2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Medicpelle

Thank you for the reply, The 30" has one star and the 26" has two stars. I would guess that the 30" is full and the 26" is IMP.
Old January 12, 2018, 07:01 PM   #4
BigJimP

I don't think its actually a Browning manufactured shotgun...I think its probably a Stevens or a Westernfield - produced on the Browning design. It may have a patent saying Browning on it ...but I don't think Browning actually produced a model 30.

( Back in the day )...I think those guns were sold thru Montgomery Wards or Gambles..( at least out here in the Western US ).

If they used the Browning Choke marks for fixed choke barrels...one star is Full and 2 Stars is Modified.

Screw in chokes did not show up until much later than that gun was produced / they started on some models in the early 80's.
Old January 14, 2018, 11:49 PM   #5
Scorch

The Browning Model 30 was what the BPS was called before it was the BPS.

And FWIW, Browning is a marketing/distribution company, they do not make anything.
Old January 15, 2018, 01:11 AM   #6
MGMorden

Could be either. As noted the BPS used to be called the "Model 30", but Sears also marketed the "Ranger 30" as well that was a rebranded Stevens 520. Because it was a Browning design and had a Browning patent number on it I've commonly seen people refer to those as a "Browning Ranger 30" (since these generally don't have "Sears" or any of their other store brand monikers on them).

If you can't post a picture easiest way to tell would be that the Ranger 30 ejects shells out of the side of the receiver while a BPS/Model 30 ejects out of the bottom.