The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 8, 2016, 12:26 PM   #1
MrBorland

Contempt for the Target...

A friend of mine is/was a top shooter, and used the term to describe mentally shutting down for an "easy" shot, a phenomenon that's bit me a time or 2.

Shooting and golf have a lot in common, and at the Masters yesterday, Ernie Els showed us what happens when you show contempt for the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefULut6YrA

Just a reminder, then: Don't show contempt for the target! Ever or for any reason. Each shot requires your total mental participation.

Thanks for the reminder, Ernie!
Old April 8, 2016, 04:12 PM   #2
9x45

USPSA's Front Sight magazine, March/April, just had an article about managing the mental game of competition shooting. And that is true, because shooting is 95% mental, 50% physical and 5% actual shooting. If you shoot competition it adds up to 100%........... A miss is still a miss, whether it's competition, self defense or golf. Shoot fast, but don't miss.

Like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0emhNkG9GPA
Old April 8, 2016, 06:04 PM   #3
MrBorland

It's not all that unusual to see a USPSA/IDPA shooter shoot the tough part of a stage well, but get mentally lazy for the easy stuff because they believe it's a "gimme" - particularly when the "gimme" is at the end of a stage. Regardless, this "contempt for the target" is often very costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x45
shooting is 95% mental, 50% physical and 5% actual shooting
The mental aspect is huge. And though I don't know how I'd precisely divide the mental, physical and shooting, but I will say you need 100% from each.
Old April 9, 2016, 07:56 AM   #4
4EVERM-14

The mental part of the game is huge. Staying focused is the mark of a serious competitor. One needs to be able to turn the focus on and off at will. On when the shooting starts and off to relax between stages. I don't think one can stay 'On' all day.
This is one reason I believe junior shooters,once they understand the game, become good shots. There is nothing in their brain to distract them. No worries about work, the mortgage, car payment, remembering their wifes birthday or to bring home milk.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old April 9, 2016, 09:55 AM   #5
9x45

It's also because they have perfect vision, super fast reflexes and unrestricted movement. The down side is they think about the opposite sex every 14 seconds..... So their stages runs are always less than 14 seconds.
Old April 9, 2016, 12:42 PM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
A friend of mine is/was a top shooter, and used the term to describe mentally shutting down for an "easy" shot, a phenomenon that's bit me a time or 2.

Shooting and golf have a lot in common, and at the Masters yesterday, Ernie Els showed us what happens when you show contempt for the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefULut6YrA

Just a reminder, then: Don't show contempt for the target! Ever or for any reason. Each shot requires your total mental participation.

Thanks for the reminder, Ernie!
When people who don't shoot ask me about it (and I don't want to frame it within a hunting or SD context, something they won't understand generally) I tell them it's just like high-speed golf.
Old October 13, 2017, 01:18 PM   #7
otasan

That is why I like bowling-pin shooting - only center hits count to drive the pin back three feet and off the table.
Old October 14, 2017, 05:54 PM   #8
ShootistPRS

Relaxing your concentration happens a lot when shooting metallic silhouette. If you start at the pigs go to the turkeys and then the rams you have made all the "hard shots" and then shoot the chickens... they are closer and easier targets but NONE OF THEM are easy. I have seen many matches lost on the chickens.