The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 9, 2016, 08:08 PM   #1
Mstangret

Scope recommendations

Just purchased myself a new rifle (Howa Mini Action in .223) was wondering what scopes people would recommend for target shooting @ 100-200 yds. Want to keep the price around $200. Thanks
Old September 10, 2016, 10:27 AM   #2
msk26ny

For a about $ 200 price range, I would recommend a Banner scope. They are made by Bushnell, are good quality & I have used them over the years & no problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old September 10, 2016, 10:54 AM   #3
mikejonestkd

200 yards is a chip shot for most rifles. You don't need premium glass, but you don't want to go cheap either

I'd take a good look at the Leupold VX-1 in that price range
Old September 10, 2016, 01:45 PM   #4
jmhyer

I agree that it's hard to go wrong with anything in the $200 range for shooting at that distance. Look for a variable power (up to 9-12x) with a 40+mm objective from makers like Leupold, Bushnell, Nikon, Vortex, Burris, or even Redfield. Any of those should serve you well.

The main thing to be sure of is that it's properly mounted. Unless you feel very comfortable doing that, I'd suggest having a pro do it. Proper mounting and bore sighting shouldn't cost much at all. Then do your sighting in from a solid rest with the ammo that you intend to shoot regularly.
Old September 10, 2016, 03:12 PM   #5
Old Bill Dibble

I like the Nikon 223 series for up close. Entry level around 200
Old September 12, 2016, 10:32 AM   #6
rpseraph

I recently put on an awesome Vortex Crossfire II AO. For 100-200 yds, even out to 300 or 400 yards you'd be good with a 3-9 power. Otherwise if your eyes aren't the best, even maybe 4-12. I got a 4-12 because it was on Sale
Old September 12, 2016, 04:50 PM   #7
Mstangret

Hey so I went over to my local dicks sporting goods to check out a couple of the scopes mentioned, I saw the Leupold Vx-1, the Nikon p-223, and the Nikon prostaff. all in 3-9x power with the exception of the prostaff being 2.5-10x. Tbh I couldn't really tell the difference between scopes when it came to glass clarity and eye relief. I blame the fact that its kinda hard to picture how the scope mounts on your rifle without actually mounting it. The guy behind the counter was very knowledgeable and recommend the Leupold Vx-1 based on his experiences. Theres also a $50 rebate on the scope ($199 retail) not to mention I have a 20% off coupon which means I will be getting a pretty good price for the scope in the end. The guy also said that I wouldn't be disappointed with the Nikon p-223 ($199 no rebate) considering the turret is for the .223 round, exactly what I would be shooting. In the end the leupold is the better deal and is lighter however I found the turrets on the p-223 much better than the leupold's. Will most likely buy the scope at Dick's due to the 20% coupon I have. At this moment its kind of a toss up between the Vx-1 and the p-223. Anyone own either or have opinions on them?
Old September 13, 2016, 07:24 PM   #8
603Country

I've had a Nikon break and a Leupold break. With the Leupold I just sent it back to them, they fixed it and sent it right back. Things didn't go that well with the Nikon. If it's a tie, the win goes to best customer service, which is Leupold.
Old September 13, 2016, 08:18 PM   #9
jmr40

At $200 I like the Burris FF-II best. But it is followed closely by Leupold VX-1 and Redfield Revolution.

Nikon, Vortex and several others make $200 3-9X40 scopes of very similar lense quality. At that price point and with 3-9X40 scopes competition is fierce among manufacturers to produce a lot of quality for the dollar. It is the other features such as eye relief, weight, length, reticle design, ruggedness, etc., that give the edge to the 3 I recommended.

Stay with a 3-9X40 scope. Anything any bigger will cost $100 more to get the same quality. If it is the same price as either of these with more magnification, it isn't nearly as good.
Old September 14, 2016, 03:45 PM   #10
ronl

I'd go with the Leupold, especially considering the discounts available. Only CS better than that is Vortex.
Old September 14, 2016, 09:03 PM   #11
ms6852

Based on the discounts you get with the leupold I would by that one. Since your distance is going to be between 100 to 200 yds the turret knobs should not be the deciding factor as it will only a few clicks from one to two yards.

Take the savings and buy more bullets.
Old September 14, 2016, 09:16 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

Based on the posts I read about leupold customer support, it would be hard for me to go with a different brand if Leupold made a product at a competitive price.
I received a burris banner on a rifle in a trade. Never mounted it on a rifle or box tested it, but the optic quality is nice.
Cabela's brand scopes used to have a lot of quality, but haven't been impressed with them lately.
I have one of their diamond reticle scopes for deer hunting inside 200 yards. It works quite well.

Tags
scope