The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 13, 2013, 10:45 PM   #1
wolfe 21

Bought my first glock today...

Like it says, I finally crossed over to the darkside. Found a NIB G17 Gen 4 @ the LGS on my weekly trip. Been thinkin about one for a while and finally decided to buy it today. Figured it'd b nice to ne as familiar with the platform as possible.
Anyway, I just wondered what I should know about these guns as this is my first. Haven't even shot it yet & I'm already lookin at upgrades & 33 round mags
Old April 13, 2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

Now you know you should have posted a pic of your new Bang bang before you post a new thread on it! We wanna see it
Old April 13, 2013, 11:20 PM   #3
BarryLee

Quote:
I'm already lookin at upgrades & 33 round mags
The 33 round magazines are great I bought one about a year ago and love it for range use.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 13, 2013, 11:50 PM   #4
LockedBreech

I finally got the fire a G17 G4 recently. It must have been brand new because the recoil spring was very stiff. Functioned perfectly and comfortably, though. Enjoy, and get us some pics!
Old April 14, 2013, 12:16 AM   #5
BuckRub

IMO Ghost 3.5# connector and competition spring kit (awesome). That's about it as far as I'm concerned. Ps- Don Hume Jit Slide holster.
Old April 14, 2013, 02:21 AM   #6
wolfe 21

thanks for replies. Unfortunately, I don't have a digi-cam. All my money goes into the guns....
Will look into the springs and connector, but I prefer the safariland SLS holsters since I'm only an open carry/range use person..

James.
Old April 14, 2013, 11:59 AM   #7
RBid

All I've done to upgrade mine is to use a Sharpie to black out the rear sights. I want Fiber Optic fronts at some point, and a light for my 19.

Given how the pistol handles out of the box, I don't see a need to do anything else to it.
Old April 14, 2013, 12:17 PM   #8
BuckRub

Why don't you just pull your sights off. Haha. That's funny, so you're an instintive shooter (with pistols ). Lol
Old April 14, 2013, 02:29 PM   #9
mumblyj0e

welcome to the dark side

I love my g26. It goes *almost*everywhere with me. It's a bit chunky for some occasions.

I would like to issue a word of warning, however, about the 33 round mags. It's probably more of a problem for me with the shorter 26 handle than it will be for you but I've found that they are no help when it comes to accuracy at the range. The added weight and the fact that it flops around like a WASR mag not only feels odd but seems to throw off the group by a wide margin every time. They had some in stock at cheaper than dirt a couple days ago for $30 but I would not recommend spending any more than that at all. Auction sites still have the price jacked way up.
Old April 14, 2013, 03:36 PM   #10
wolfe 21

yeah, I figured to wait until this latest round of psycho buying was over before adding anything to my collection as far as mags. When P-mags are back into the $10-15 range and I can get the Asian military mags for around $10 I'll probably stock up. For now, I think 3 17 round mags should be plenty... I'll pick up a 33 rounder or two if I can find them in the sub $20 area just to have em, but I don't have any illusions about them being practical. Just tacti-cool.....
was thinking about adding one of the poly mag wells, the ghost trigger, extended slide stop and maybe fiber optic front sight with a 10-8 rear. But I'm gonna shoot it a lot first. Might not like it enough to want to put any more money into it. My last 1911 purchase is becoming a jam-o-matic and I was really drawn to the glock reliability everyone talks about, even if the grip is at a FUBAR angle....

James.
Old April 14, 2013, 05:54 PM   #11
led0321

Re: Bought my first glock today...

Nice...welcome to the Glock world
Old April 14, 2013, 06:03 PM   #12
pat701

What was your panic days cost? It don't LIKE low powered ammo
Old April 14, 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
mumblyj0e

It's ridiculous, especially 9mm. Somebody wanted to trade me 250 9mm steel case for 450 7.62 x 39 and I almost considered it.

I finally FINALLY found some 9mm fmj, brass case, for 28 cents/round in 110 round value packs and grabbed all the boxes they'd allow me to buy.
Old April 16, 2013, 01:29 AM   #14
icearms

Where did you buy it? I have been looking everywhere for a glock and my distributor says "nothing for like.....forever". Me thinks they are not being very forthcoming.
Old April 16, 2013, 06:23 AM   #15
Ajtozzi

We get Glocks on on a pretty regular basis. Usually about 7-10 a week.
Old April 16, 2013, 08:58 AM   #16
jglsprings

Quote:
Anyway, I just wondered what I should know about these guns as this is my first.
One of the "tricks" - if you want to call it that - is taking advantage of the trigger reset on follow up shots. The first pull of the trigger has a rather long pull until the break. As you release the trigger after the shot just let it move forward until you feel the trigger "click" - or reset if you will - then stop the forward motion and you are right on the break for the next shot.

I didn't explain it well, look for glock trigger reset on google.

Commas save lives...
Old April 16, 2013, 10:14 AM   #17
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRub View Post
Why don't you just pull your sights off. Haha. That's funny, so you're an instintive shooter (with pistols ). Lol
Was this in response to my comment about blacking out the rear sights on my Glocks?

I still have a front dot, which is now faster to acquire (no white static), and which still frames perfectly in the rear notch. I still use the sights. There are actually companies that sell all black rear sights (Dawson Precision, for example). I find that this works better, for me. No loss of accuracy, faster sight picture acquisition, and easier tracking of the front sight during shooting.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:14 AM   #18
Theohazard

Quote:
Where did you buy it? I have been looking everywhere for a glock and my distributor says "nothing for like.....forever". Me thinks they are not being very forthcoming.
They're not being very forthcoming because they have no idea when they'll get more. Glocks, like almost every other gun on the market (even five-shot revolvers) are sold out at most firearm distributers across the country. That means they could come in a few weeks, a few months, or a few years; there's just no way of knowing exactly when.
Old April 16, 2013, 01:52 PM   #19
RBid

"Back order" basics:

- in the firearms sales industry, there are Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers. Most manufacturers prefer to sell to Distributors, who then sell to Dealers. Some manufacturers (Kimber, for example) sell directly to dealers.

- "allocation" = prioritizing high volume clients. Unfortunately, this means that giants like Walmart often get priority for things like ammunition.

- when we say that things are "back ordered" at the manufacturer level, we mean that dealers have submitted orders to distributors (mostly for general inventory), and those distributors have submitted orders to the manufacturers, with such volume that the manufacturers require X amount of time to fill a fresh order, placed on the date at which the backlog is quoted.

So, "Glock is 11 months back ordered" doesn't mean, "you can't get a Glock for 11 months". It means, "if you place an order today, it should arrive in about 11 months".

An important note is that things come in batches. High volume items are produced pretty frequently. Low volume items, less often. In one case, a manufacturer told me that a particular item was "a low priority", which would be produced "late in the calendar year". This conversation happened in January, about an order that had already been outstanding for a couple months.

What this means to the consumer:
1. Dealers will have "stuff" coming in, but getting specific items may be a challenge.

2. That "stuff" will appear all over town, then dry up for awhile, then reappear, then dry up.

This will likely be the case for the next 6-9 months, assuming no more mass shootings before the market corrects.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:34 AM   #20
Laz

For you folks wanting a picture: I'll bet it looks a lot like a Gen 4 Glock 17.

Nice pistol, btw. I've been thinkin' on one meself.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:56 AM   #21
Cheapshooter

Congrats. Glock is a great gun. My first, and only so far, Glock is a G20 I bought a couple years ago. Didn't have a Glock, or a 10MM. Two birds as they say. Now I want a 17 next because it was the one that started it all. Besides, you can't have too many 9MMs.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 17, 2013, 10:59 AM   #22
RBid

Old April 17, 2013, 12:52 PM   #23
Grant D

Please, let me be the first to offer my deepest sympathies, for your loss......of taste!

Just kidding! I own three plastic pistols myself.

Congrats on your new purchase.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:46 PM   #24
ClydeFrog

Glock & roll...

Well, this isn't www.Glocktalk.com but we'll do our very best, .

I'd check here for gear, tips, guides, Glock stuff & kits...
I'm not a Glocker yet myself but I may buy a NIB(new in box) Glock 19 Lipsey's FDE format or a Glock 30S .45acp.
Many gunners love the Glock. I'd suggest keeping your Glock 17 stock but Id add the new Trijicon HD 3 dot night sights; www.Trijicon.com .
A "plug" with the Glock tool is a smart add-on too, . Many tactics & weapons instructors like James "Yippy-Ki-Yay" Yeager advise against gadgets & doo-dads.

See: www.brownells.com www.glockbooks.com www.customizeyourGlock.com www.glockstore.com www.glockworx.com www.robarguns.com www.bearcoat.com www.Mahovskysmetalife.com

Robar Gun's has a "Norton's" special on coating/treatment & the popular Metalife SS treatment is only $78.00 US for the top part(slide, barrel, internals). To get a metal spare mag treated with the Metalife SS process is only $10.00 ea which is decent. You could send them a few extended Glock 9x19mm pistol magazines with the parts. Gun writer & tactics trainer: "Chuck Taylor" speaks highly of both the Glock 17 9x19mm & the Metalife SS treatment.

I'd add for your Glock only use high quality factory made rounds for carry or protection. No reloads or hand loaded ammunition.
Top rated 9mm or 9mm Luger rounds include; the Hornady Critical Duty +P 135gr, the TAP, DPX, Speer Gold Dot +P JHP 124gr, the Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP, the Golden Saber bonded +P JHP 124gr, the Corbon PowRball, the MagSafe SWAT, the Winchester PDX-1 9x19mm.

Keep your Glock clean & check it often for damage or problems. A gunfight is a bad time for repairs, .
ClydeFrog
Old April 19, 2013, 11:30 PM   #25
wolfe 21

Thanks for all the information, its truly impressive the following these pistols have generated. I will look into the sights suggested above and hopefully improve my knowledge of this weapon.
As to home defense or personal protection, I've got a 590 Marine that I keep around for that and I don't have a CCW. So, pistols are really just for the range and maybe open carry while hunting or farming (usually single six or 22/45). I mainly bought this for familiarizing with the platform.

oh, and price was $525 & tax. Same as before this nut storm, so I figure I did ok.