The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Valerko

45 long colt

Loaded some 45 LCD for my circuit judge rifle.
200 grain cast bullets, cci large pistol primer and Hodgdon UNiversal 6.4 grains
Then I did few with 7grains of powder Both loads sounded like they just spit the bullet out. Tried fom factory 230 grain bullets and they sounded and kicked like magnum loads compare to mine.
After taking casings out of the gun , I've noticed , what looked like, unburied powder inside ,just few flakes.
Shoud I try different primer ( magnum) or just increase the load.
Max load in manual shows 8.8 grains. I was gonna try 8 and see what happens
7 grain loads seemed a bit better then 6.4. But not a whole lot
Old April 28, 2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Hammerhead

Welcome to the forum.

I like Universal, but it does not perform well at low pressures in large cases like the .45 Colt until you reach maximum pressure. Magnum primers probably won't help as they tend to pop the bullet out of the crimp faster than a standard primer. If you want to stay with Universal I would recommend bumping the charge up closer to maximum and ensure you have a solid roll crimp.

I have given up on Universal in the .45 Colt and have switched to Trail Boss for light loads and Unique for full power loads. Unique can be very sooty until you reach charges near the top of the chart, but once you do it's a very good powder.

With Unique and Universal you can feel the difference if you tip the rifle back before the shot so that the powder rests against the rear of the case. They will burn better that way too, but it's a poor compromise.

I have very good luck with 7 grains of Trail Boss under a 200 grain LSWC in my H&R carbine, very clean, consistent and accurate.
Old April 28, 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
velocette

8 grains of Universal or Unique is the go to load for .45 Colt under a 250 grain bullet. It approximates the ballistics of the original black powder load. Your load is way under that. You probably are not generating enough pressure to get the powder to burn properly.

Roger
Old April 28, 2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Valerko

Thank you for advice.
I loaded few rounds with 8 grains and seemed Better , but still not it.
May give another powder a try.
Old April 28, 2012, 07:40 PM   #5
hodaka

Unique and Trail Boss work well for me in a Blackhawk and a Taurus Rifle.
Old April 29, 2012, 01:23 AM   #6
TXGunNut

8 grns Universal is a nice load for 45 Colt, almost as nice as KIK FFFg.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 29, 2012, 05:47 AM   #7
Pilot

I've been using Tight Group for .45 Colt, and .45 ACP with success. Yes, it is a fast burning powder, but it meters well, and works well for light loads for me. This is just for punching paper.
Old April 29, 2012, 10:04 AM   #8
bossman

I agree that Universal Clays works best at the upper end load data. I think you started way to light. When I load Universal at low levels I always get unburnt powder left over. And show some respect to the 45 Colt get a 255 gr bullet.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old April 29, 2012, 11:20 AM   #9
TXGunNut

And show some respect to the 45 Colt get a 255 gr bullet. -Bossman

And drop the "Long", you'll get more respect from folks who know the proper name of the cartridge.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 29, 2012, 02:25 PM   #10
rclark

Quote:
And show some respect to the 45 Colt get a 255 gr bullet
+1. Actually the 250g RNFP is the standard with the 255g SWC not far behind. 200g are for the SASS crowd (IMO) with some Trail Boss behind them to make them feel like .22s.... Just enought to get out the end of the barrel and go 'ting' on the close in large steel targets.

8.0-8.5g of Unique/Universal are pretty much standard for .45 Colt. I use 8.5g. I also like 20g of IMR 4227 under a 250-255g bullet. Don't have any data for the 200g bullet in .45 Colt.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 29, 2012, 04:29 PM   #11
crowbeaner

Try the Lee 452-255-rf over 10.5 gr. of AA#5. Most 200 grain bullets don't have the proper back pressure to obturate the case properly and may cause gas blowback into the action (and your face).
Old April 29, 2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Uncle Buck

Quote:
And drop the "Long", you'll get more respect from folks who know the proper name of the cartridge.
It is your gun and your call. Obviously by calling it a Long Colt, everyone knew what you were talking about.

Sometimes when you go to buy ammo and ask for .45 Colt, people think you mean .45ACP. Saying Long Colt will save you some trouble. Unless there is a "Purist" there who insist on schooling you on proper gun terms.

I have .45 Colt cartridges that say .45 Long Colt on them.

Either way, I do believe that by bumping up the charge a little more to what the other folks have recommended, you will notice a lot better performance.

I use Universal and 700-X in my .45 Long Colts cartridges, as well as some black powder. Have fun, shoot straight and keep the powder dry.
Old April 29, 2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Valerko

I took your advice and loade few round in 8.5 grain range .
Couldn't beleive the difference.
It feels and sounds pretty good now.
Thank you very much guys , love this forum.
And sorry, next time I'll order 250 grain bullets. Dint wanna offend any cowboys here. Lol
Old April 29, 2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Sevens

Quote:
Unless there is a "Purist" there who insist on schooling you on proper gun terms.
He used one of these with his post: , he was well within the boundaries of good taste with his suggestion. Not at all different than calling it a magazine rather than a "clip." Learning, using and embracing the correct terms serves our hobby, lifestyle and image quite well.

Your reply to his suggestion wasn't delivered in an overly obnoxious manner -- but I've got no problem stating that I agree with him and would make the same suggestion that he did.
Old April 30, 2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Uncle Buck

Guys, I guess that was a poor attempt at humor and there was no disrespect meant in the reply.

If offense was taken by anyone, or even considered obnoxious, my apologies.
Old April 30, 2012, 10:35 AM   #16
Edward429451

People are way too thin skinned on this board. (shaking head smiley)
Old April 30, 2012, 11:07 AM   #17
snuffy

Quote:
Try the Lee 452-255-rf over 10.5 gr. of AA#5. Most 200 grain bullets don't have the proper back pressure to obturate the case properly and may cause gas blowback into the action (and your face).
+10 on the above post! Actually I tried AA#5 behind some 200 grain lead boolits of my own manuf. These were fired in a Rossi levergun. During firing, I was getting gas blow-back along with unburned powder granules in my face. If not for my always present prescription glasses, I would have been getting it in my eyes.

Cases displayed the classic very dirty exterior and very low pressure signs. The remaining shells will be pulled apart. I'll be changing to a quicker powder for these loads, probably unique.

The lee 250 RNFP loads that I also tried with AA-#9 worked real well. That little levergun is a lot of fun to shoot, and I can load those shells for around 5 bucks a box.

Also tried were some of the lee 300 grain RNFP, those are gas-checked boolits, so they're a bit more expensive. Those made the rifle a pain to shoot, it's curved steel butt-plate digs in pretty good.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 1, 2012, 12:46 PM   #18
Wyoredman

Hey all, I have been experimenting with some 225 gr RNFP bullets in my TC pistol and have settled on 9.5 gr Unique over standard primers. It is a fairly hot load, but works well in the Thompson pistol. I don't think I would use it in a standard revolver, though.
Old May 1, 2012, 04:13 PM   #19
markr

Anybody who knows the"Difference" between the term Colt and Long Colt, and why there are two terms for the same round should't care about either expresion. Who cares? I don't. I don't care if everybody knows that I know the difference.

Washed up 11B1P
Old May 1, 2012, 04:51 PM   #20
dagger dog

When you get your 255 gr. bullets, a 8.5 gr Unique load is just about MAX for non Ruger-Contender loadings, so start low and work up !

Stay safe have fun !
Old May 1, 2012, 05:52 PM   #21
rclark

Actually, according to Brian Pearce most modern .45 Colt revolvers are good for Tier 2 loads (20,000psi) . Rifles from what I understand are stronger yet... but don't quote me on that as I don't own one in .45 Colt... yet....

Here is his article for 270g bullets (data is good for 250-255g as well). Check out the Unique loads for Tier 2 .45 Colt loads.

Brian Pearce on the .45 Colt
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.