The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 15, 2012, 08:44 AM   #1
longfellow

Bullseye platforms

Are Bullseye pistols built upon the cam lock style of the High Power, BDA, Glock and many other models? All I've seemed to come up with in popular literature is the exclusive use of the link system of the 1911.
I am just looking for some information on the current thinking regarding applicability of the two platforms for building pistols for which accuracy is the highest priority. Are other features of the 1911, such as durrability, trigger design, ability to accurize..., driving the use of the 1911 for Bullseye pistols?
Any Bullseye shooters or Pistolsmiths out there want to comment?
Thanks.
Old February 15, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
10s&Xs

I'm not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll speculate on your question.

The vast majority of .45 pistols I've seen on the line are built on the 1911 platform. I think the original reason for this was the availability of parts (being a military issue pistol) and the ability to custom-fit the barrel/bushing combination for maximum accuracy. The reason it's remained the platform of choice - it may just come down to the fact that it works, and no one has come up with a more popular solution.

There are a number of smiths building bullseye pistols with the Beretta 92 now and achieving exceptional results with them. That's good for centerfire and EIC matches, and a number of shooters I know have switched over. But, if you're going to shoot outdoor 2700 matches, you have to shoot the .45 anyway.
Old February 15, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
frumious

I don't shoot Bullseye (or any other type of competitive shooting) but I have read about it kind of a lot here. You need to look at the rule book but it seems the copy at that site is broken. Get this one instead. Section 3, equipment and ammunition. It doesn't seem to specify the platform at as low a level as you are describing.

I think the reason 1911's are so popular is tradition...accurizing them has a long history. I don't think there are that many folks who accurize Glocks (just as a "for instance"), and those that do might not be able to get them as accurate as an accurate 1911.

-cls
Old February 15, 2012, 05:30 PM   #4
10s&Xs

As frumious pointed out, the rules don't specify what type of pistol, just the caliber, trigger weight, sight radius, etc. There are people who shoot conventional bullseye (and do quite well) with revolvers - .22, .38, and .45.
Old February 20, 2012, 06:43 AM   #5
darkgael

Quote:
Are other features of the 1911, such as durrability, trigger design, ability to accurize..., driving the use of the 1911 for Bullseye pistols?
Yes.
Interestingly enough, with all the newer .45s available - and from quality manufacturers - one rarely sees any of them at Conventional Pistol matches. The 1911 dominates the field.
Pete