The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 24, 2010, 07:30 AM   #1
musicmatty

Question

I recently spotted a used pump action Winchester in a gun shop..it has a wood stock and front end with chromed everything else and a very short barrel with rifled sights. I think it said police or defender or something of the sorts on the barrel . The shop was selling this used shotgun for just under $600. Seems like a bit to much for a used pump action Winchester??

Any thoughts on this?
Old November 24, 2010, 09:30 AM   #2
silvercorvette

I have no idea what a Winchester costs, but I bought a new 870 for less than that, I am guessing on this but I think it was about the mid $300 range. This was a few years ago so I am sure they cost more but a lot less than $300 new. And the 870s and Mossbergs 500? seem to be the most popular police shotguns.

I took some measurements, length with stock folded is 29 inches, barrel length seems to be the shortest legal length 18 inches

I haven't measured the length but it is very short with the stock folded

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=199853836

and I just bought this nice Browning double auto a few days ago for $500

Last edited by silvercorvette; November 24, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old November 24, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3
zippy13

Could this be one of those rare Winchester 1200's that RMC51 is coveting?
Old November 24, 2010, 02:54 PM   #4
musicmatty

I just visited this gun again today..it's a Winchester Stainless Police 12Guage.
There asking $600. for this used Gun..I offered them $400 and told them to call me if they wanted to sell soon. The young guy seemed annoyed that I offered $400..he said I was low balling them for the gun. I told him that I was just making an offer and they didn't have to accept it There is one that just sold on Gunbrokers for $450. I think my price is more than fair..especially if this gun has been sitting for some time in the shop
Old November 24, 2010, 07:19 PM   #5
silvercorvette

Any reason you are set on the Winchester? The 2 most popular guns are Remington and Mossberg.

The department I worked for used 870s, they were never cleaned and abused on a regular basis. They had over 100 rounds a day go through them at the rage every day of the years with the exception of 3 or 4 holidays. They had been in service for 30 years when I retired in 1990 and I bet they are still going strong
Old November 24, 2010, 07:24 PM   #6
.300 Weatherby Mag

$400 is a lowball offer.. $600 is about market price... The stainless models command quite a premium over a regular 1300 defender... They stainless models are very sexy, I should know ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=200818102
Old November 24, 2010, 07:27 PM   #7
musicmatty

Yes, I am a Winchester man..I've tried them all and the Winchester speaks very clear to me. Ya know..some people love Gibson Guitars and others like myself have to play a Fender Telecaster because it speaks to me
Old November 24, 2010, 08:15 PM   #8
silvercorvette

I like them all and when it come to home defense shotguns it's Remington, but I prefer winchester when it comes to lever action rifles. Many people into cowboy style compete use Marlins because they seem to hold up better but I love Winchesters.

By all means get Winchester if that is what makes you happy I know what it is like to want a specific make gun. I could have bought a ruger SAA revolver for 1/2 the cost of a Colt but I had to have a Colt. Good luck in finding your gun.