The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 14, 2018, 06:02 PM   #1
CDR_Glock

Do you have your own personal/home range?

I have had an archery range for 6 years but I have been tired of lugging a lot of my AR-500 steel targets.

I have a Texas Star and Dueling Tree which are quite heavy and cumbersome for lifting in and out of the car.

I checked with local laws and I have a bit of land so I set up my own range.

I have a Last Stands Target stand that has several sized AR-500 plates. The dueling tree which can be transported since it’s not too heavy (55 lbs). The Texas Star which would not be fun lugging to the range and calling for a cold range every other minute. I have a few other target systems such as Arntzen targets but I’m debating just bring those to the range versus keeping them outside.

Anyone else have their own range? I was inspired by Hickok45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 14, 2018, 06:30 PM   #2
peterg7

I have a gully out my back door that I shoot in, for handgun I hung a 12” steel plate on a shepherds crook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 14, 2018, 06:40 PM   #3
Zeroed

That place there looks good. I like that dueling tree target. Does it re-set after a hit?
We have a pit range. Ground is flat, sides are easy 40' high on all sides, with entrance road curved and ramped. Have double bench-rest tables set-up at 100, 200 and 300yds. Could go further, but haven't saw the need in it so far. Have 2 pistol ranges, 1 is 25yds, the other is 50yds. Nothing special on targets or frames. We've had a really nice shooting house set-up with double bench-rests that accommodated a chrono on each side. But the neighborhood thugs tore it down one weekend. Put it up again, they hit it again.
We let it go for about 4 years and brought it back to life last year. I guess the little thugs either moved or they're in jail, either way, we've not had any other problems in the past year. I plan on putting in auto re-set targets. Going to build them, so I won't go into details on it.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:26 PM   #4
CDR_Glock

Do you have your own personal/home range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroed View Post
That place there looks good. I like that dueling tree target. Does it re-set after a hit?

We have a pit range. Ground is flat, sides are easy 40' high on all sides, with entrance road curved and ramped. Have double bench-rest tables set-up at 100, 200 and 300yds. Could go further, but haven't saw the need in it so far. Have 2 pistol ranges, 1 is 25yds, the other is 50yds. Nothing special on targets or frames. We've had a really nice shooting house set-up with double bench-rests that accommodated a chrono on each side. But the neighborhood thugs tore it down one weekend. Put it up again, they hit it again.

We let it go for about 4 years and brought it back to life last year. I guess the little thugs either moved or they're in jail, either way, we've not had any other problems in the past year. I plan on putting in auto re-set targets. Going to build them, so I won't go into details on it.

Yes, a Dueling Tree and a Texas Star. The Dueling tree paddles go side to side so they auto reset.

I have a bunch of AR-500 plates but I don’t want anything left outside that could be used without authorization. I’ll leave it in the UTV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 17, 2018, 06:27 AM   #5
Old Stony

I set up a range complete with covered shooting tables, etc.... I put out regular target frames at 7, 25, 50, and 100 yds. I also put out some steel targets to bang away on, but nothing fancy. I have hung old plow discs, pipes, steel plates, etc., but nothing that couldn't be torn to shreds and thrown away.
I have friends and acquaintances that ask to use it and often times they leave their cardboard backers and targets there to be blown around the range. Often they shoot at the closer steel even, and I have a sign there asking for them not to do it.
Having your own range can be a pain and end up in extra work for you if you let anyone else use it.
Old February 17, 2018, 06:59 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Sadly, no. I can think of several different body parts I'd give up to have my own home range, but haven't figured out how to make that trade.
Old February 17, 2018, 03:20 PM   #7
NHSHOOTER

I am with you Spats..no range for me, I did have a nice sandpit range for a few years until my friend tired of it and sold it, new owner said NO shooting..Now I go 25 miles and only have 100yd range..
Old February 17, 2018, 08:35 PM   #8
gw44

My sons and I set up a range 20yrs a go out back of the barn, 25-50-100-200yd targets I use it a lot !!!
Old February 18, 2018, 10:43 PM   #9
1MoreFord

Once upon a time, almost. I was a member of the board of directors of a public shooting range that was on the way home from work. That gave me a key to the range and I used it often. Sadly the city cancelled our lease.
Old March 3, 2018, 09:26 PM   #10
zplinker

My rifle range is just outside the door of my metal building, so my cement bench with chrono and front rest, etc., sits inside, out of the weather. For handgun, all outdoor, we only go to 50 yds., but I did have to 'close' it, due to an extremely careless PPC shooter who was part of our group. Now its just a couple of us, but unlimited shooting. For fun, I have a 14" plate, at 260 yds., good handgun practice.
Old March 21, 2018, 05:27 PM   #11
CDR_Glock

I added a few IDPA Stands and another rack of plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 17, 2018, 08:35 AM   #12
DMK

I have a range in my back yard. It's setup against a heavily wooded hill, much like Hickok45s, but it only goes out to about 25yards. With that, it's definitely got enough berm up above to stop any rounds from going over.

I have paper target stands made up of two stakes each with chicken wire strung between them. I set them up at varying distances and in about a 30 foot spread.

I used to shoot pistol quite a bit, but I have one anti-gun neighbor down the road that keeps calling the cops. My immediate neighbor is cool about it though and the cops are cool about it. Lately I just shoot 22 rifle back there to save everyone the hassle.

I hope to get a suppressed pistol soon and then I can go back to shooting handgun back there again.
Old August 17, 2018, 03:54 PM   #13
thallub

My current range has target holders at 50, 78, 125 and 200 yards. There is a steel small caliber swinging target at 78 yards.

Old August 17, 2018, 07:37 PM   #14
DMK

Quote:
current range has target holders at 50, 78, 125 and 200 yards
Nice! I'm jealous.

Our public ranges here don't even go to 200yds. The local rational is it's too thickly wooded here to need practice for longs shots like that.
Old August 17, 2018, 11:03 PM   #15
drive_sideways

Growing up we had a 100 yard range in my parents back yard, shooting into a hill. Worked perfect for sighting in our rifles.

My buddies family has a 400 yard field we could really test our limits on.

And now, my wife and I just moved into a new place where I could set up a 600 yard target across a couple of fields onto a partially cleared hill side even with my back deck if I so pleased, behind that target is a good 4-5 miles of nothing but hills and woods. Might set up a target way up there for kicks and see how my wife’s new 6.5 creedmoor I picked up yesterday does...