The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 3, 2018, 06:09 PM   #26
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged
Basketball and Tennis aint brain surgery and it sure aint combat.
You appear to have missed my point. My point was simply that sometimes a trainer might not be as skilled or as accomplished as a student is at a particular something, but that trainer may be better than the student at analyzing a person’s technique and helping them improve, regardless of the student’s skill level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged
What Tom Brady does or does not do- is not in the same universe with what we are discussing here.
There are precise physical mechanics involved when throwing a football well, just as there are precise physical mechanics involved when shooting a firearm well. Just as Tom Brady benefits from a coach who helps him refine his throwing mechanics, a top-level shooter can still benefit from a trainer who helps him refine his shooting mechanics.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:37 PM   #27
FireForged

I get all that brother... what I am saying is that games are game and the consequences of gameplay are universes apart from the potential consequences of brain surgery or combat. People are generally a little more critical of the instruction they receive in regards to life-safety issues. If you arnt.. that's fine. I am, and that is what I was trying to convey.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:44 PM   #28
Theohazard

Fair enough. I don’t think my point conflicts with yours, or vice-versa. I think we’re each making different — but equally valid — points.
Old July 3, 2018, 06:57 PM   #29
hdwhit

Quote:
JohnKSa wrote:
"...who wouldn't love to make a living doing something they love doing?"
Over the years I have found that the things I love doing, I love doing on my own terms. When I have tried to convert them into money-making ventures, the need to have a schedule, keep business records, deal with customer service issues, etc. has sucked all the joy out of them for me and I ended up hating what I had formerly loved.

It depends entirely upon the person, but making a living doing something you love may not turn out to be all it is cracked up to be.
Old July 3, 2018, 07:05 PM   #30
hdwhit

Quote:
JohnKSa wrote:
...Kyle Lamb in the May 2017 issue of Guns and Ammo...
I agree with the quote you posted.

I think the essential quality that gets overlooked at lot of the time is that a firearms/marksmanship instructor - first and foremost - has to be able to convey his/her knowledge to the student in a way that the student can grasp, practice and then put into action. And it doesn't matter if somebody's neighbor thought they were the best instructor in the world, if they can't teach a particular student, that student should look for someone else.

Someone may have been an Army Ranger or Navy Seal, but if they aren't able to teach ice how to melt, they are worthless as an instructor and someone looking to invest their money in instruction should look elsewhere.