The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 1, 2005, 10:48 PM   #1
Te Anau

Tell me about Mossberg bolt action shotguns

A local shop has a very nice 20 gauge Mossberg bolt action shotgun with one mag for $75.00.It has an adjustable choke and appears to function perfectly.The stock is a typical nice looking wood,but the trigger guard is a type of plastic that extends rearward of the trigger guard itself and is about 6-7" long front to back.The gun is 95% of new I would think and has a little red or green dot for safe or fire positions.When were these made, how many rounds does the mag hold (are spares available?),and I apologize for not having the model number.
Old October 1, 2005, 11:49 PM   #2
rugerdude

I believe my father had one of these (it was stolen) but he saw one at a gunshow recently and he really liked his. The magazine holds 2 shells I believe, maybe 3.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old October 3, 2005, 06:03 AM   #3
OkieCruffler

It's probably a 185 series if it has a selectachoke on it and the long plastic fingerguard. Most I've seen were 2 3/4" chambered and had a 2 shot mag. $75 is pretty much the going rate around here. Makes for a good grocery gun.
I had a newer model 385 with a 3 inch chamber and a fixed full choke. Patterned tighter than any full I've ever seen. I used it for late season dove when they get alittle smarter and for deer hunting on public land where it was shotgun only. Worked extremely well in both roles. When I started driving to school it stayed behind the seat of my old ranchero in case a chance popped up to do some hunting after school. Those were different times.
My dad has used a 183 model .410 as his only shotgun for at least 30 years for everything from barn rats to duck. Both of those guns were abused and neglected, but never failed.
Old October 3, 2005, 07:41 PM   #4
Te Anau

Thanks.It does have a 2 3/4" chamber.