The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2019, 01:27 PM   #1
SPEMack618

Belgium Browning A-5

I came into possession of a A-5 Magnum with the long 28" barrel.

I'd like something a bit shorter to improve handiness in the field.

My question is does anyone know if there was ever a barrel threaded for screw in choke tubes made for this gun?
Old June 15, 2019, 07:58 AM   #2
Auto5

I once lucked out and found a 26" barrel at a gun show for $60, but that will probably never happen again. I've seen several early models that have been fitted with a Poly Choke or Cutts Compensator with screw in tubes (like my 1947 "Brownington"). While the very idea makes me cringe, a capable gunsmith should be able to shorten and thread your barrel for choke tubes cheaper than the current prices of another barrel.
Old June 15, 2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Virginian

Quite a few Japanese manufactured barrels came with screw in chokes. I believe they moved the manufacturing of all Auto 5s to Japan about 1977. You might be able to find one on ebay or elsewhere. It is relatively easy to have a barrel shortened and fitted with choke tubes, but make sure you get a quality job. I will vouch for Briley's and Mike Orlen for their work.
Old June 15, 2019, 11:40 AM   #4
Ricklin

Agreed

Virginian already mentioned the guy I would use.

Easy to do, a heavy cardboard shipping tube, no problem sending just the barrel to Mike.
Might shoot him a message first. If you have calipers you can measure the OD and the ID of the muzzle.
He may know already based on the gun what can be done. The wall thickness of the barrel determines the type or the possibility of having it tubed.
Old June 15, 2019, 01:30 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Browning will sell you a 26"(that's as short as Browning goes) A5 barrel with changeable chokes. Cheap they ain't though. MSRP is $499.99US.
Old June 16, 2019, 07:43 AM   #6
Virginian

An A5 barrel is not an Auto 5 barrel. The new A5 is an inertia action; totally different from the classic Auto 5.
Old June 16, 2019, 09:45 AM   #7
Ricklin

Rehab

I have an old Remington 31 that I may send barrel to Mike. Still deciding.

It's an old dime a dozen 30" full choke, I would guess no more than a box of shells have been through it, virtually no wear. Very nice for it's age, it has a few pinprick pitting spots on receiver and that's it.

I'm thinkin cut back to 28" and choke tubes. I'll refinish the stock and call it good.

Either that or reassemble and sell as a project gun. It would be nice cut down for HD too, no dis-connector like a model 12.

I have very little in to it, and I don't need another 12 gauge pump.
Old June 16, 2019, 04:30 PM   #8
giaquir

I vote Briley chokes as well ,worked well for me. Browning A5 Light 12,thin wall barrel