The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 22, 2019, 06:30 PM   #1
Roamin_Wade

H&R Pump Shotguns

I wanted to check out H&R's website and they now make a pump shotgun! If they've always made them, that's news to me. Does anyone have any field reports they'd like to share on how these guns worked afield? Thanks...
Old February 22, 2019, 09:58 PM   #2
Blindstitch

They've been making them for some time now. The only problem with the Pardner Pump that I know of is the price of the Mossberg Maverick. It's identical to the Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870 debate.
Old February 23, 2019, 12:42 AM   #3
Drm50

I don't know if H&R ever actually manufactured a pump shotgun. The older H&R branded pumps were made in France. The same gun was marketed under several house brands and
Colt. I think Marlin did too. I think the last line Pardner was contracted also.
Old February 23, 2019, 08:27 PM   #4
kymasabe

I had one briefly, worked well, was a solid gun, but weighed a ton.
Old February 23, 2019, 10:59 PM   #5
Cirdan

I have one. 12 guage, short barrel (18.5"), open cylinder.

It's good. Solid (heavy) so they didn't scrimp on the metal. It's an 870 clone made in China, and is imported by the same company that owns Remington.

Shooting has been great. With the open cylinder and short barrel, the pattern spreads wide pretty quickly, but I knew what I was buying. The version I purchased isn't for birds or skeet. It also kicks like a mule, no surprise.

For some strange reason, it doesn't take Remington chokes, but Mossberg instead (I've never used one).

I'd agree with Blindstitch that there isn't much price difference between this and the Maverick. At the same time, I think that version of the Maverick is actually manufactured in Mexico, so neither one is a US gun.
Old February 23, 2019, 11:17 PM   #6
BigBL87

Think of it, essentially, as the Remington 870's equivalent to the Maverick in the Mossberg 500/Maverick relationship. Now, unlike the Maverick it isn't actually made/sold by the same company, but the Pardner Pump is basically a budget clone of the 870 to the extent that some parts will interchange. You can use 870 barrels on the Pardner if you buy/make a spacer, for instance. Everything I've read about them has been positive, mostly that they aren't super refined but they simply work. Really, the Pardner Pump, Maverick, and Steven's 320/350 are all good budget shotguns.
Old February 28, 2019, 02:19 AM   #7
jmstr

My H&R Pardner Pump Protector has a receiver made in China, but a barrel made in USA.

It took a Remington Model 870 stock, but the older butt screw length. The newer one [off my 2015 870] had a screw hole and bolt that didn't work well.

I also have an 870 Riot gun forend attached.

There are directions on making an adapter for converting the system to a standard 870 barrel.

The inside was VERY rough- but a lot of work on my part slicked it up to be more slick than my factory 870.

The Shotgun receiver has a rear 'hump' that is more like an Auto-5 than an 870, but I like that about it.

I believe about all the internal parts in the action are interchangeable- but they might require a tad of work. I have just slicked up my parts- not replaced them.

I have the 12g Protector, and am seriously considering the 20g pump, as I use 20g a LOT less, and I like the idea of spending less than $200 for it, compared to $350+ for an 870.

I have nothing against Mossberg, but own no Mossberg shotguns. I just prefer trigger-group mounted safeties, as that is what my other pump shotguns have.

The Maverick may cost about as much [or less], and could be lighter. However, I am not lugging it through fields for hours- so that isn't an issue: recoil absorption is.