The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2015, 09:41 AM   #51
B.L.E.

Quote:
Single shot shotguns KICK,
That has nothing to do with being a single shot and everything to do with being too light and being poorly fitted.

I can shoot 200 trap birds with my 8.3 pound Browning BT99 trap gun without a bruised shoulder or cheek.

If you plan to do any form of clay bird shooting, where you shoot the gun 100+ times in a row, weigh the gun you plan to buy, it it weighs less than 7.5 to 8 pounds, put it back on the rack and buy something else.

Those 5-6 pound guns are good for hunting, where you carry the gun all day but only get off a couple of shots.

Guns that are a joy to carry tend to be murder to shoot, and vice versa.
Old December 13, 2015, 11:23 AM   #52
JERRYS.

get an old westernfield or copy thereof. they made them in 20 and 12 ga. theyre bolt action two shot magazine fed with poly chokes. you can find them for $150 or less.
Old December 13, 2015, 02:52 PM   #53
FITASC

Quote:
Guns that are a joy to carry tend to be murder to shoot, and vice versa.
Exactly! And another reason that field guns make poor targets guns and vice versa
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 15, 2015, 07:32 AM   #54
darkgael

field

Hey....fellas....the OP stated that he was/is looking for "a general usage" gun.
While I appreciate the BT-99, the Krieghof, the Ljutic and the rest of those beautiful (and expensive) guns....they are not "general usage" shotguns.
When I am trudging the ups and downs of the PA uplands, i carry a six pound gun, not a nine pound gun. I have shot ATA trap with a Savage 220.....reloads help but I still would not want to shoot 100 or 200. I would, even less, want to carry my BT-99 on a grouse hunt.
Pete
Old December 15, 2015, 10:03 AM   #55
FITASC

If I am up and down the uplands, I'm not carrying a 12 at all, but a 6-6.25# 20. It will handle anything in the uplands. That makes it a general usage gun. Those H&R guns are not worth the pain and suffering and poor performance.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 15, 2015, 02:18 PM   #56
kismet

My personal experience (and ONLY my personal experience) is that my misses are most often not the shotgun's fault.

Your mileage may differ.

Have good holidays.
Old December 15, 2015, 07:34 PM   #57
dgludwig

QUOTE: Hey....fellas....the OP stated that he was/is looking for "a general usage" gun.

The op hasn't responded to his thread for the past six years. My guess is that he's already made his choice.
Old December 18, 2015, 11:16 PM   #58
kismet

Yeah, OP may have satisfied his curiosity, but other folks like to discuss the singles.

It's all good.
Old December 27, 2015, 12:11 AM   #59
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Best single bbl. shotgun

J.C. Stevens .410-.12.ga
Old December 27, 2015, 03:51 PM   #60
T. O'Heir

Your money or mine? Your's it'd be a Perazzi. Think 5 figures. My money? It'd be a Cooey for $100Cdn.
Old January 2, 2016, 10:50 PM   #61
Glenn Kelley

T O'Hier ,
The Cooey 84 /840 were sold in the US as Winchester 37A and 370 .
The Winchester 37 had one advantage over the Cooey in that the hammer and latch were reversed so that you don't have to reach over the latch to thumb the hammer .
My turkey gun has been an 840 shortened to 28" and tubed with a Limbsaver pad added .

The quandary is that an Ithaca 37 weighs 2 shells more .

Glenn
Old January 3, 2016, 12:24 AM   #62
JWT

For the money I'll take a BT-99. Trap only. Certainly not for hunting with no safety.
Old January 3, 2016, 12:33 AM   #63
B.L.E.

No safety, no problem, just carry it broken open 'til you need to shoot, the way you shoot at the trap field.