The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 19, 2013, 06:04 PM   #76
Hawg

Quote:
You guys with the sporter 1903's are making me jealous. Most of the ones i've even seen were beat to hell and back. All the ones you guys have shown are amazing looking. I'd be glad to have any of them.
You should have seen mine to start with but we won't talk about what it cost to get it looking and shooting like it does now. I'll just say its a good thing it will never be for sale because I'd never get even a third of my money back.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:42 PM   #77
mxsailor803

Hawg - I could only imagine. Which then again, many of us that re-do any of these old rifles never plan on selling them.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:10 AM   #78
tahoe2

DUV-41 German Mod98k

Well it's not sportered, but the stock was duffle-cut when it was brought back by a buddies granddad so many years ago.
It was found in the back of a closet wrapped in a GI blanket, something had spilled on it during storage; the blanket had to be peeled off the rifle.
She has a rusted/pitted barrel with strong grooves and no import marks (not an RC)
So after some elbow grease and a light sanding, some TLC and Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil ( 7 coats).
She groups pretty good with Hornady 170 grn RN's. Haven't hunted with her yet but this fall will be her first outing, considering that group. 89697 89698
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jacob shoot 3 034.jpg (267.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg jacob shoot 3 030.jpg (224.9 KB, 53 views)
Old May 27, 2013, 05:18 PM   #79
9mmfan

Quote:
In Texas, with a rifle, when you hunt you can only hunt center fire and 5 round capacity
I am curious about this. I am not currently a hunter, and am legitimately looking for clarification. I just pulled this off of the Texas Parks and Wildlife website:
Quote:
Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).
Old May 27, 2013, 05:45 PM   #80
tahunua001

9mm I have posed such comments to texan hunters and all responses have been to the effect that there is no ammo capacity limits in texas for hunting. I'm thinking that the member that made that statement was confused about something else.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:02 PM   #81
9mmfan

Thanks, wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.
Old May 30, 2013, 06:32 PM   #82
csmsss

The only real limitation on Texas hunters (besides the federal migratory waterfowl restrictions) is the unfortunate size of the game in most parts of the state. Even a 30-30 is probably overkill for just about anything in the state except for feral hogs and the (very, very) occasional black bear.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:29 AM   #83
mike7.62

My SKS will get the job done.
Old June 3, 2013, 11:15 AM   #84
tahunua001

WOW... I had always heard the stories about tiny deer down south but I never actually saw a 2 point buck that can fit inside the rack of a 4 wheeler... nice job with the SKS though, meat is meat.