The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2013, 07:46 PM   #1
wbw

SIG 2022 question

Does anyone know the differences between the SP2022-9-B model and the SP2022-9-BSS? I'm looking at SIG's site but still not quite sure.

Thanks for any help.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Contrast Man

I believe the ss indicates night sights. Also, note that the sp prefix means only a 10 round magazine while the E prefix indicates an unrestricted magazine.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:01 PM   #3
wbw

Thanks so much Contrast. Big help. Didn't realize there was an 'E' version. I'm actually looking for the 10 rounder in anticipation of Maryland's laws changing.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:47 PM   #4
Saudadeii

Yep, he's right. I have the "B" model with the 10 round mags.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Karrill

Yep, E2022-9-B model here, it comes with one (1) magazine that holds fifteen (15) rounds. Also comes in a cardboard box, with one extra backstrap size, a gunlock, and surprisingly did NOT include a spent casing.

Really good for the $400 price range though, Im very fond of mine.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:12 AM   #6
wbw

Kerrill - Thanks for your reply. You just reminded me that I need a spent case here in Maryland. The 2022 that I'm buying is out of state off of Gunbroker, so it may not have a case included.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:24 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

Include the price of a second mag, like every gun comes with, and you have entered the price territory of nearly every great polymer handgun.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:55 PM   #8
wbw

I'm the OP. The SP-2022 that I'm buying comes with two mags, two grips and a plastic case. I won't say what I'm paying, but it's a whole lot more than $400. I'm in the Baltimore area and prices here are always a good bit higher than what everyone on the forums seems to pay. Some could be stretching the truth. Who knows. But the SP2022 is what I want and no one near me has any. So I bought from Gunbroker. I'm happy, and that's all that matters.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Contrast Man

True, it is priced lower than most Sigs and a bit lower than the common polymer striker fireds, but it still is a Sig. Granted, I don't own one, but this seems to be the closest you can get to a 229 without spending $700-$800 for one. If its what is wanted, there's really not a whole lot to compare it to, save an FNX which is around $600 if I remember correctly. Even then, if its what works then good choice and happy shooting!
Old February 6, 2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Saudadeii

@wbw.. You are absolutely right. In the end, being happy with your purchase is all that matters.

True, prices vary from dealer to dealer and region to region. I paid $389 plus tax and DROS for mine from a local dealer in mid Dec. Bought 2 spare mags at $40 each early Jan (same dealer).

Gone through 200 rounds so far with no problems (other than bad aim). I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!
Old February 6, 2013, 09:33 PM   #11
wbw

Saudadeii, you got a great price. I would be embarassed to tell what I'm paying. Plus I've got to pay a transfer fee. At least it's coming with two mags.

Glad you're liking yours. I've already got a 229 so I know that SIG makes a nice pistol. Looking forward to the 2022.
Old February 7, 2013, 11:49 AM   #12
RC20

They are great guns and all of them have gone up in the current madness so its relative. If you want one then you have to pay the price.

As a mag for any handgun has gone up, having the second one is a adder. Basically whats used to sell as a $400 gun (and worth a lot more) is a $500 gun with a second magazine (now, used to be you could get two more but...)

The SP2022 shoots well and is as reliable or more so than anything out there.

I have a third magazine and I may put that up for sale.

I have sold a semi auto carbine for a lot more than I paid for it. The guy wants it and is happy to pay what it costs now.

I think in a year this will have subsided but I could be wrong.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Karrill

wbw, Im glad youre not worried about the price. I paid 460ish out the door, but you definitely have more accessories than I do, and fwiw, I would happily pay more for this gun

Contrast Man, interesting mention, I paid 680 after tax for my FNX-9, so you were right on the price there. IMO, the FNX competes more with a HK (based on features and build), but it is also one of the few sa/da polymer guns in the sub 800 range.

In that group, there's also the berettas (px4 and 92s if you want steel frame), the walther P99AS, and the FNX. I have all of them, and prefer the SP2022 by a fair margin, but they are all winners in one way or another. I personally am more accurate with the SIG, both on first shot and subsequent shots, regardless of followup speed. I typically shoot the SIG at a range of 5-10 yards further out than I do other guns, and maintain the same or better grouping.

The gun is strangely perfect for my hand / grip. Like a natural extension of my arm. Your mileage may, and probably will, vary.
Old February 7, 2013, 04:03 PM   #14
t45

$449 here w/one mag. I really like the SP2022 platform (40cal). It fits me well and is more accurate than I am. On a side note, I bought my wife a SR9 for the same price ($449). I must say its a shooter also.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:49 PM   #15
RC20

I never had any real bias on pistols, at least when I was younger and the eyes were good I could pretty much shoot them pretty good (revolvers or the semi autos)

Some do suit better than others, and odd as it may sound the SP2022 does not feel as good to me as the HKs (and have shot the P30 a fair amount and like it)

I am still as accurate with the Sig though. I shoot it as good as the HK (some days ones a bit better and another day the other).

Happy with the Sig due to the overall package and the price. It matches up equally with guns at higher and in some cases much higher price. DA is better than all the ones I have tried and the SA is very close. Controls I like a lot and in right location and feel.

Then it comes down to if it suits you well or well enough. I may get an HK someday but no regrets on the Sig.

Ideally I would like to mix and match, but then I guess I would have to be a gun mfg!
Old February 8, 2013, 07:58 PM   #16
dave9969

I own the E version of this pistol in 9mm
When I got it, it was in the plastic case with 2 magazines. I paid 410 for it over a year ago. I have added 2 more mags for a total of 4. I replaced the poly guide rod recently, with remarkable results in accuracy improvement.
I have put several THOUSAND rounds down this pistol at the range.
Other than the guide rod, it looks the same as the day I got it new an removed the paper wrapper around the grip.

I believe eventually this gun will go down as one of the great polymer frame guns. much as the glocks were an unknown when they arrived on the gun scene 20 years ago, I believe this will be as well. It has earned my respect at the range, and every single person that has ever shot it agrees, its an amazing gun. Give this pistol some time, it will grow on you.