The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2011, 08:20 PM   #1
grousechaser

Length of pull question

I want to buy a new pump gun in 28 gauge. It comes standard with a Pachmayr recoil pad. I don't feel it is necessary to have it because the recoil is minimal and I don't want a rubber pad catching my hunting vest or jacket when mounting for upland birds
The maker has offered to install a standard butt plate if I provided it but naturally that would effect the length of pull. Should I be concerned at all?
Where would I get a butt plate that would fit?
Old January 13, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2
darkgael

Butt plates

It would help to know what make gun you are buying. Failing that, try Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/1/3/shotgun-butt-plates
If needed, you can add spacers to achieve the correct LOP.
Pete
Old January 13, 2011, 09:00 PM   #3
grousechaser

Ithaca Model 37 28 gauge. How do I determine if the butt plate I obtain will fit properly?
Old January 13, 2011, 09:22 PM   #4
zippy13

Quote:
Ithaca Model 37 28 gauge. How do I determine if the butt plate I obtain will fit properly?
Take the gun to a pro for a fit evaluation. Or, compare the gun's stock dimensions with your dimensions from a pro's try gun. Buying a new gun is like buying a new suit -- you're probably gonna need some alterations.

Back in the day, guns came with a butt plate. If you wanted a recoil pad added, you also got the opportunity to add to the length-of-pull. Frequently adding a recoil pad required removing some of the original wood to obtain the proper length-of-pull. Responding to market forces, guns with high recoil were equipped with factory recoil pads. Then some bean counter figured out that it would be cheaper just to install recoil pads on all of the guns and order shorter stock blanks. There's no reason your 28-ga should have a recoil pad other than the maker is saving wood.

Your worries about the recoil pad binding on your hunting vest may be overblown. Most comp guns, used in un-mounted, events have recoil pads and they don't bind. You need to select something between a straight smooth pad used for International Skeet and curved high grip pad used for American Trap.

One solution is to install an adjustable butt plate/recoil pad adapter. There are a lot of them in use, but they are all a little unsightly. Otherwise, do a catalog search (Brownells) for a butt plate and spacer combination (or recoil pad) that will give you your desired length-of-pull.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:28 PM   #5
grousechaser

Thanks Zippy. That helped. I might just go with the factory pad and see how it feels.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:35 PM   #6
oneounceload

IF the current LOP and other measurements actually FITS, then your fear of having a rubber recoil pad snag is easily remedied by placing smooth electrical tape on the face of the pad to create a slick surface.

28's aren't THAT much lighter recoil than a 20, especially if the 28 is built on the smaller, lighter 28 frame
Old January 14, 2011, 07:01 AM   #7
grousechaser

Thanks. That is very helpful.
Old January 14, 2011, 12:09 PM   #8
darkgael

Nice

Grousechaser: I took a look at the Ithaca website and the Model 37 28 gauge.
What a nice looking gun.
Have you decided what exactly you are going to have them put together for you?
http://www.ithacagun.com/28gauge.html

Pete
Old January 14, 2011, 12:24 PM   #9
zippy13

^^^ +1 and,
Please, don't forget to post some pics when you get your 28. It's very seldom that we get to follow the ordering of a custom gun around here.
Old January 14, 2011, 12:27 PM   #10
BigJimP

I second the idea of letting the mfg build it to his normal specs - and shoot it awhile ...and see how it feels and how it fits you before you start changing thngs on it.
Old January 14, 2011, 08:16 PM   #11
grousechaser

Thanks for your input and interest. I plan on ordering the Ithaca 28 gauge in the next couple of weeks. I've pretty much decided on the A Model but upgrading the wood to "AA" for an additional cost of $175. I figure the total cost will be close to $1200. I grouse hunt almost exclusively and I am looking for a lighter gun as I get older. I have been using a Winchester Model 96 over/under choked skeet/skeet for the past 30 years and I wanted the ability to use a tighter choke and maybe a few more rounds for the rare occasion when I bust out two or three birds and they go out "a bit". I love the 96 but I wanted a smaller gauge which would be easier to carry. I'll keep you advised as I place the order and wait. Pictures to follow.