The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 16, 2009, 07:49 AM   #26
MajorWhiteBoy

i was just looking over my .38 one night, it was late, i was tired. put it in the safe, went to bed.....got up early the next morning, put my gun on, went to do some errands, came home...

and saw the bullets sitting on my desk.

never say never, but i check my gun each time i leave now.
Old August 16, 2009, 08:12 AM   #27
Glock Holiday

I've driven out all the way to the range with a couple of my Glocks and some rifles only to find all the magazines were for the G19 and so I didn't get to shoot my G17 once while there.
Not as funny as blasting the game bird with buckshot but I thought I'd share.
Old August 16, 2009, 11:42 AM   #28
onthejon55

Im glad you didnt need it because the resulting click would have probably been deafeningly loud! Only suggestion i can make is keeping a spare in the car in case you discover you forgot the mag after you leave home.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:36 PM   #29
1Oldman

Just me but a "stupid mistake" is one that you don't learn from. I believe you learned from this one. Guess that is why I also do a chamber check with my XD everytime I carry it. It has the loaded chamber indicator but I still check all my firearms the same way before they go into the holster and out the door. Sometimes habits are a good thing.
Old August 17, 2009, 04:15 PM   #30
Daugherty16

Change the first round once in a while

I carry a Beretta 9mm, with one up the pipe. When cleaning, inspecting, verifying function, i eject the mag and then rack the slide to pop out the loaded round. When ready to load again, i drop one into the chamber and thumb off the slide release. I was always taught never to close the action by hand, or "baby" it, because it's intended to use spring tension to seat everything just right.

So last time i popped out the chambered round, and found the bullet had settled down about 1/4 inch into the brass, shortening the overall length and leading me to wonder what effect that might have had if i'd actually had to shoot it. Maybe none, but the lesson was learned.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old August 17, 2009, 05:24 PM   #31
Starcheck55

Quote:
i eject the mag and then rack the slide to pop out the loaded round. When ready to load again, i drop one into the chamber and thumb off the slide release
I'm confused...are you putting the ejected round back in through the ejection port like a single shot bolt action rifle?
Old August 18, 2009, 09:48 AM   #32
raimius

No mag

Quote:
It's funny to see that happen at a match. Even with load and make ready commands , I've seen folks start to 'shoot' with an empty gun.
I did that at a three-gun competition. I shot rifle and shotgun, then moved to the pistol. (pull the trigger)...why didn't the hammer fall?--why does this feel so light?--Oh crap!

It is interesting to see how fast you can do a speed load.