The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 10, 2014, 07:05 PM   #1
k511

Tula Toz o/u shotgun

Was out at an estate sale today and bought a small group of firearms for a good price...in this group there is what I've determined to be a tula toz shotgun... everything is pretty self explanatory on it except this switch on the side of the receiver, can anyone tell me what it does? I haven't gotten a chance to get out and use it to find out...
Old April 10, 2014, 09:12 PM   #2
SDC

It LOOKS like a TOZ-34 (which should be marked in Cyrillic, if you take some close-up pictures of the markings), and this lever should be part of the take-down assembly; there's a manual in Russian at http://akbnn.ru/manual_toz34.php , and it warns that this lever should be in-line with the barrels during use.
Old April 11, 2014, 10:37 AM   #3
PetahW

The lever on the right side of the TOZ-34 receiver, which the manufacturer calls the "thumbpiece", allows the barrels to be separated from the receiver when it's rotated downward.
(The forend is non-detachable, staying with the barrels)

Old April 11, 2014, 06:09 PM   #4
k511

Appreciate that info guys.
Old January 9, 2015, 06:19 PM   #5
dmills87

Can anyone decipher the markings on my TOZ-34?

Could anyone help me date my TOZ-34 based on the serial? Also, do any of the markings provide information regarding the choke sizes? Any other info that someone might be able to share from the markings would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks.

Old June 5, 2015, 09:26 AM   #6
SDC

Dmills, you've got a TOZ-34E (the "E" standing for "ejector"), chambered for 12 Ga 2 3/4" shells (the stamp shows "BYM", which shows the Cyrillic abbreviation for "bumazhny", or "paper" shells, but it'll take our standard 12 Ga x 70mm shells). There should be some more stamps on the sides of the lug that might show when this shotgun was proofed, but you'd need to take the barrels off the receiver to be able to see them. The choke stamps show "Chok" over "Poluchok", which translates to full over modified, so this is a hunting gun. I hope this helps.