The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 12, 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Pops1085

Rifled barrel or smooth bore?

I just got an excellent deal on a used Remington but the only downside is that it has a rifled barrel. If I was going to keep this gun around for HD, casual small game hunting, and maybe small bird hunting (grouse are very common in my area and make for a really fun time) would I be foolish to trade barrels for a smooth bore 21" barrel with rifled sights on it? I have rifles for dear hunting but another friend said hang on to the barrel because they are hard to find.
Old April 12, 2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Pahoo

Buy an additional barrel/barrels ??

Quote:
would I be foolish to trade barrels for a smooth bore 21" barrel with rifled sights on it? I have rifles for dear hunting but another friend said hang on to the barrel because they are hard to find.
Not foolish but I would agree with your friend about hanging on to it, at least for a time. Your rifled barrel is worth more than a smooth bore. Take your time and look for a used barrel. You did not mention the model number so I'm assuming that after market barrels are available. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 5, 2013, 09:45 AM   #3
customaquatics

yea you said there hard to find? so it must not be a 870.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

Get the smoothie!
Old May 8, 2013, 12:16 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

For HD the rifled barrel isn't bad. Makes a nice wide buckshot pattern.
Old May 8, 2013, 03:45 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Hunting small game and upland is best done with a smoothbore, but NOT with rifled sights - a simple bead, a barrel about 26"or so will do the job. Too short of a barrel and you will be missing from behind as you stop your swing
Old May 18, 2013, 10:53 AM   #7
abherbitter

Slightly off topic here but does anyone know of the KSG (Kel Tec Shot Gun) is rifled or smooth?
Old June 1, 2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Creek Henry

The Kel Tec? Whichever is cheaper
Old June 1, 2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Noreaster

Randy Wakeman had a write up on using shotshells and rifled slugs from a rifled barrel. He found a deal on an 870 with a rifled barrel and used non sabot rounds in it. If you can find it on the net it's worth a look.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:00 PM   #10
publius

Keep your barrel and go to the next gun show and buy yourself a 26" smoothbore. You should be able to get a used one for less than $100.00 Probably way less
Old June 3, 2013, 10:48 AM   #11
natman

The rifled barrel is great if you want to shoot sabot $lugs out of it.

Otherwise, it's pretty much useless for anything else, including HD. The last thing you want is a big doughnut pattern spewing buckshot everywhere except where you aim.

If you don't intend to shoot sabot slugs, trade / sell it and get a smoothbore.
Old June 3, 2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Nathan

Quote:
The rifled barrel is great if you want to shoot sabot $lugs out of it.

Otherwise, it's pretty much useless for anything else, including HD. The last thing you want is a big doughnut pattern spewing buckshot everywhere except where you aim.

If you don't intend to shoot sabot slugs, trade / sell it and get a smoothbore.
+1 this trade is usually pretty easy to do. With some smooth talkin', you might be able to get an 18.5" smooth bore for HD and a 28" interchangable choke barrel for little money added.
Old June 5, 2013, 03:05 AM   #13
theblakester

Rifled barrel or smooth bore?

The rifled barrel is worth more than a smooth bore barrel. Shooting "shot" out of a rifled barrel will throw a wider spread and usually make a somewhat donut shaped pattern. I wouldn't want a wide pattern for HD and I certainly wouldn't want a donut shaped pattern. If u only get 1 smoothbore barrel, I would suggest getting one with a choke system to to satisfy your hunting needs. All that being said, I also have rifles, but I really like my scoped rifled barrel for large game hunting at around 100 yards.
Old June 5, 2013, 11:04 AM   #14
L_Killkenny

I have a large disdain for rifled shotgun barrels. Their intended ammo, sabot slugs, cost too damn much and they aren't good for anything else. On the flip side for your intended needs I wouldn't get a smoothbore with rifle sights unless you are gonna use it for deer/big game hunting. Get the shortest barrel you can find that will accept choke tubes (a must!) and a bead on the front (another must!) and you be well ahead.