The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2009, 07:40 PM   #51
jhgreasemonkey

Quote:
Strap a bayonet to it, and fire it out of a longbow.
While this is a highly regarded traditional method, some less experienced hunters are put off by the "rainbow like" tragectory of the projectile and general range limitations of 5 to 10 feet. Not to mention in the hands of an unskilled bowman wear and tear to the bow can be substantial. In rare cases serious injuries have occured.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:50 PM   #52
ninjatoth

Quote:
While this is a highly regarded traditional method, some less experienced hunters are put off by the "rainbow like" tragectory of the projectile and general range limitations of 5 to 10 feet. Not to mention in the hands of an unskilled bowman wear and tear to the bow can be substantial. In rare cases serious injuries have occured.
Not if it's a hickory bow B****!
Old October 25, 2009, 08:00 PM   #53
jhgreasemonkey

Well said good sir. If used in combination with a bow made from true hickory smoked sausage the red rider bb gun if fitted with the proper bayonet serves as a truly devistating hunting weapon capable of the most obscene stopping power on thick skinned and dangerous game.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:14 PM   #54
ninjatoth

you really must make sure to take a screw out of the butt plate and install a nock,then you should use only turkey feathers for the fletching,since they are the only ones big enough(note:the red ryder should be used first to harvest the turkey)Now,you can attach the bayonette to the muzzle with duct tape,or electrical,and you are ready to go.Since it is such a big projectile,it is possible to shoot it up to 500 yards and still see it in flight,great on long range shots!The energy produced is somewhere along the lines of a .700 nitro express,but don't worry,use hickory,hickory will withstand the forces.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:41 PM   #55
TED STEIL

Now you really should install a heavy duty bipod , have a BOSS system
adjustable recoil reducer & get a rangefinding,tactical nightscope, then you will be able to take those real long shots, no matter what distance,light conditions and also be able to dial in back pressure in order to optimize differnt BB types. I would also put some black duct tape over that stock medallion- so as not to spook your game due to glaring off of it.
Old October 29, 2009, 12:11 PM   #56
Brasscatcher84

Maybe in a few years, you won't even need the Red Ryder or the wrist rocket. I hear obama has plans to sit down with the deer and talk them into giving themselves up!
Old October 29, 2009, 01:04 PM   #57
MTT TL

Red Ryders are as outdated and unsuitable for deer as all Lever action 30-30s.

What you need is a select fire weapon like one of these.

Be sure to check out the video

http://www.airgundepot.com/eaa-drozd.html
Old October 29, 2009, 01:39 PM   #58
awaveritt

I have used my red ryder for 37 years on whitetail deer and I have never lost one. It creates EXPLOSIVE hits on broadside shots and will cleanly take deer up to 700 yards. Remember, its not the gun, IT'S THE MAN!!!! (or woman)

If you do your part, the red ryder will come thru

This just in:

Now You've done it! Just got word the administration is moving to outlaw red ryders.

Last edited by awaveritt; October 29, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old October 29, 2009, 02:50 PM   #59
ninjatoth

Quote:
Now You've done it! Just got word the administration is moving to outlaw red ryders.
I heard that they were limiting the number of bbs the gun can hold.It's no longer 200 bbs,it is a 10 round bb clip.
Old October 29, 2009, 02:54 PM   #60
ninjatoth

I had a smoothbore co2 bb pistol that I used to put 5-6 bbs down the barrel and fire all at once.That by definition is an illegal shotgun.I no longer have it and good thing,the ATF would probably be here by now to kill me.
Old October 29, 2009, 03:42 PM   #61
Big Bill

Go with the single shot RR; otherwize you'll be wasting too much ammo and you know that ammo is expensive these days. You know, if you were a real sportsman, you'd use the black powder RR.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old October 29, 2009, 06:09 PM   #62
Buzzcook

If a pointed stick was good enough for Og it's good enough for me.
Old October 29, 2009, 06:43 PM   #63
DRice.72

Well great! Here I have been sweatin over which slugs to buy for my shotgun, what range to shoot for my gun! All this time here this post sat holding all the answers! A RR BB gun! Gah! (Takes ammo back to store)
Old October 30, 2009, 07:11 AM   #64
Yankee Doodle

You're all a bunch of Sissies. My 93 year old grandmother used to be an avid Wild Boar Hunter. Her method was to taunt the Boar into charging, and then beat it to death with her walker. She then rammed her entire arm down its throat, grabed it by the anus and pulled back sharply. This turned the animal inside out, and eliminated the need to skin it. It also made for an easy gutting job.
Never mess with old folks, they know more than you do.
The old lady passed last month while working out at the gym. She had a heart attack while benching 400 lbs. I guess that 6 sets of ten reps was too much for her dear old heart to handle.
She will be missed.