The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 9, 2021, 01:41 PM   #51
wild cat mccane

"Ruger only" loads isn't about power.

It's about the AOL and the cylinder size.
Old June 9, 2021, 01:46 PM   #52
stuckinthe60s

as more and more stupid people buy guns, id say the revolver has a niche for those who cant figure out the mechanics of a semi auto w/o shooting themselves or someone else by mistake.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old June 9, 2021, 02:17 PM   #53
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
or those who cant figure out the mechanics of a semi auto w/o shooting themselves or someone else by mistake.
And semi's are for those people who can't manage to learn how to shoot a snub nose DA properly!
Sorta like people that can't drive shift with a clutch and steer at the same time.

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; June 9, 2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old June 9, 2021, 02:41 PM   #54
totaldla

I can't get 44mag power in a package better to carry than the alloy SW329pd. I don't own any other revolvers anymore.
Old June 9, 2021, 02:54 PM   #55
stinkeypete

Are golf clubs irrelevant when you can just walk over and put the ball in the hole with your hand?

Are fly rods irrelevant when you can just buy fish at the market?

Is a red sports car convertible irrelevant when you can just call an Uber?

I think lots of people are missing the point- I believe this is a sport website. The number of professionals that actually fire handguns against bother human beings are vanishingly small here. Navy Seals don’t have long discussions about stuff like this online.
Old June 9, 2021, 03:05 PM   #56
mk70ss

Revolvers ARE relevant now and will be for many years to come for more reasons than I could list here.
Old June 9, 2021, 06:03 PM   #57
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
"Ruger only" loads isn't about power.

It's about the AOL and the cylinder size.
The "Ruger only" ,45 Colt that I am referring to are loads were developed in the 70s for use ONLY in the large frame Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. They are the standard .45 Colt OAL, 1.600" (or slightly shorter, depending on bullet nose profile).

they got the name "Ruger only" because at the time, there were no other revolvers (including no other Rugers) in .45 Colt that would safely handle the above factory standard pressures.

So, yes they ARE about POWER.

And, yes, its the cylinder and frame size that allows them, the large frame Blackhawk has the same frame and cylinder size as their .44 Magnum, and will handle .45 Colt loads that rival .44 Magnums.

As far as listing things that can go wrong with revolvers and semi autos, there are a number of things that can go wrong with both designs, and listing most of them for revolvers and only some for semis isn't a fair comparison.

Quote:
Auto the chamber too tight for the AOL of a round, a bad recoil or mag spring. About it.
that is just 3 things, and FAR from being "about it".
Old June 9, 2021, 07:08 PM   #58
Kurbsky

Yes, this is a sport website and I like it that way. I don't go to the military guns websites where I noticed people tend to be rude. And I agree that shooting revolvers is a pleasant sport. I really don't want it to become more outdated or rare kind of sport like shooting black powder guns, for example. I wish someone would come up with new interesting revolver models that look different. I think Kimber is moving in the right direction.
Old June 9, 2021, 08:00 PM   #59
Ruger45LC

I think so. Granted I'll admit that I no longer carry one so I might be of the opinion that they don't make the best carry guns these days, but I absolutely love revolvers. When seemingly everyone is trying to be uber tactical it's good sometimes to just take a step back and enjoy a revolver, it's hard to explain but most here already understand it.
Old June 9, 2021, 08:19 PM   #60
FireForged

Until the advent of personal force fields which can defeat fast moving projectiles, I would consider it a little silly to deem them anything other than relevant toward self defense. Of course they are relevant, it doesnt matter what year it is. A club is relevant and you dont get much more primitive than that.
Old June 9, 2021, 09:08 PM   #61
5whiskey

At 40 years old, I’m probably on the young side of average age for this forum. With that being said, I am an old soul. The more I age, the more I have an appreciation for how my parents and grandparents did things. I admire and appreciate revolvers more and more as I age because of their history in gun development. Elmer Keith playing around with revolvers is very much a part of where we are today. Most police work that has been done, has still been done with revolvers. And yes, there is something to be said for an all steel and wood well fitted revolver. A cookie cutter semi just can’t compare in fit and finish. You wanna hunt with a handgun? Revolvers are where it’s at. I understand most people’s idea of hunting is still hunting in a tree stand for deer with a rifle, but there are many other methods. Ever run hounds that treed or cornered black bear? You better be in shape keeping up with them... and a magnum revolver is awful handy as a sidearm. Wanna discuss power/accuracy abilities beyond 50 yards? Revolvers will generally lead that discussion.

When we talk of the one dimension of CCW/SD use, revolvers very much appear ancient. While some people may not see any reason to own or carry a pistol other than traditional SD from criminals, that doesn’t mean that those reasons don’t exist. As for SD against criminals... revolvers are adequate. Semi autos have gotten extremely small, reliable, and capable. I dare say their advantages for average everyday CCW are hard to ignore. But... this still doesn’t make a revolver irrelevant (ever for SD). But then again, I shave with a straight razor so there’s that. Straight razors aren’t irrelevant either .

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old June 9, 2021, 10:21 PM   #62
Sgt127

I’ve got, several, revolvers. If I’m out hiking in the desert. I’ll have a stainless revolver. Either a 3” 65. A 2 3/4” Speed Six or even an SP101. Loaded with 158 GR hardcast. Two speedloaders. One with hardcast. One with snake shot.

There is nothing on 2 legs, 4 legs or no legs I can’t defend myself against.

I carry the same gun where I live. My threat level here is very low. Again, a good .357 will get me through.

I’ve carried a gun just about every day of my life for close to 40 years. Always reassuring. (Off duty) rarely needed.

I think people live a fantasy of long protracted gunfights. Multiple assailants. Scooting and shooting. Multiple mag changes. I suppose it could happen. Realistically, it won’t.

I’m guessing if you are fighting that many bad guys, you’re not gonna survive into the second mag swap.

A revolver and a speed loader will allow the vast majority of gun carriers to survive the vast majority of gunfights they might actually get into.

If I suddenly stop posting. Maybe I was wrong. So be it.
Old June 9, 2021, 10:45 PM   #63
Virginian

I have owned over 45 center fire semi automatic handguns. Having finally admitted I am not a semi auto kind of guy, I now have zero. I have eight revolvers; six center fire. I feel confidant we will be relevant enough when we need to be.
All the armchair experts with 9mms and or "combat" shotguns are welcome to do their thing, just like I used to do fast draw.
Old June 10, 2021, 04:40 PM   #64
shafter

Revolvers do what they've always done just as well as they ever have. Maybe even better since bullet technology has come a long ways.

However, I do believe that semiautos make a better choice for self defense in most cases.
Old June 10, 2021, 05:04 PM   #65
Don Fischer

Imagine you and your better half are attacked by a hood somewhere. He has a gun or a knife, what ever. would you just let him do his thing or would you like a knife to fight back with or would you prefer a revolver? The down side of the revolver for me, and I much prefer revolver's, is less fire power and other than detective special types, hard to conceal. decide what one to like best and learn to use it. or as in my case I went with fire power and concealability. I don't shoot semi autos as well as my revolver's but I don't expect to ever have to make a shot much over ten feet and with the target the size of a chest, it's point and shoot. Have to pretty much try to miss!
Old June 10, 2021, 05:21 PM   #66
Centurion

I'm still thinking that revolvers at close range, for fast draw and shoot, are far better options than semiautos.
Old June 10, 2021, 05:41 PM   #67
stinkeypete

Quote:
Imagine a hood has a gun or a knife..
Imagine he has a knife and takes your gun from you. It happens more than you think. Imagine your assailant is in wait and has the element of surprise. Now you have armed a criminal.

Imagine the thirty bucks in my wallet is a fraction of the cost of a call to my lawyer. You’re welcome to your stance on this and it’s your right.

I have shot infinitely many more pinecones than bad guys. Which of us is being realistic?
Old June 10, 2021, 07:21 PM   #68
101combatvet

Are knives relevant? I carry one every day. If I can't shoot you, I can stab you to death. Are pencils relevant?
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor [7 Courses]
Old June 10, 2021, 07:56 PM   #69
USSR

Relevant? It's a retro thing. My revolvers feel right at home with my dial telephones and picture tube TV's. My wife calls me her dinosaur, and I'm quite alright with that.

Don
Old June 10, 2021, 08:13 PM   #70
Sgt127

USSR...
We have a theme song...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6YkAnv8inQE
Old June 11, 2021, 07:23 AM   #71
USSR

Thanks for that link, Sgt127. Gotta love Joe. Saw him with the Eagle's Hotel California tour.

Don
Old June 11, 2021, 08:57 AM   #72
pete2

I carry a 642, I'm sure it'll shoot 5 times. No magazine to fall out or fail. No slide to jam on a goofy round or just because it's a semi. I know you don't want to hear it but it's based on my experience. I shoot a lot more auto than revolver these days. There is just more to go wrong with the semi. I do have 2 or 3 semis that have been 100% up to now. I have a Beretta that is almost 100%. Had the bottom fall out of a mag., failure to load first round from slide stop, engaged safety on reload a couple times(it's a decocker only now). A revolver can let you down too, unburned powder under then extractor can be a problem, had that happen one time, had to shoot it single action. It's just that I've had a whole lot fewer malfunctions with revolvers than semis. The only place a semi shines is they hold more ammo.
Old June 11, 2021, 09:28 AM   #73
101combatvet

If you can't kill someone with five-six shots, you need more range time.
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor [7 Courses]
Old June 11, 2021, 11:46 AM   #74
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
I carry a 642, I'm sure it'll shoot 5 times. No magazine to fall out or fail. No slide to jam on a goofy round or just because it's a semi. I know you don't want to hear it but it's based on my experience. I shoot a lot more auto than revolver these days. There is just more to go wrong with the semi. I do have 2 or 3 semis that have been 100% up to now. I have a Beretta that is almost 100%. Had the bottom fall out of a mag., failure to load first round from slide stop, engaged safety on reload a couple times(it's a decocker only now). A revolver can let you down too, unburned powder under then extractor can be a problem, had that happen one time, had to shoot it single action. It's just that I've had a whole lot fewer malfunctions with revolvers than semis. The only place a semi shines is they hold more ammo.
Totally agree.
Old June 11, 2021, 11:47 AM   #75
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
If you can't kill someone with five-six shots, you need more range time.
Absolutely right!