The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 13, 2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Hdonly

SKS Chinese type 56 coming

Just bought a gunsmiths special $249 Chinese type 56 from J&G. Some folks say they got some nice rifles. Some not so happy. I say, roll the dice and take what you get. Hope I got lucky though. Be here next Tuesday. Already have a nice Norinco. I just thought I might need another SKS.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3200153.JPG (81.4 KB, 1174 views)
Old April 13, 2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

I hope you get a great one! Love my SKSs.

Be sure and post pictures.

TK
Old April 13, 2017, 10:56 PM   #3
Model12Win

The SKS is one of the finest battle rifles ever devised. Hope it's a peach!
Old April 14, 2017, 12:14 AM   #4
Hdonly

Here is my first one. I don't really care how rough the next one is. I do hope it is as good a shooter as this one. I won't do anything to the one I get from J&G. Just clean it up and leave it the way it is.

Old April 14, 2017, 04:23 PM   #5
Cary Gunn

Dang me, Hdonly,

You've sure "prettied-up" that commie gun. The engine-turned bolt seems to jibe with the nicely refinish wood. I really like the result.

Does she shoot accurately enough to justify the scope? Lemme know.

Nice work and happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --
Old April 14, 2017, 08:25 PM   #6
Hdonly

Thanks for the compliments, It will shoot minutes of bunny rabbit at 50 yards. My eyes have gotten so bad that iron sights have become history. I did have to weld and file the cover to fit good and tight to keep the scope on target. Also installed a recoil buffer hoping that it helps keep the cover tight longer. Overall it is a nice shooting rifle with a fairly decent trigger.
Old April 16, 2017, 10:26 PM   #7
sixgunnin

Quote:
The SKS is one of the finest battle rifles ever devised.
I hope your kidding right?
Old April 17, 2017, 07:00 PM   #8
TRX

I never thought much of the SKS until I wound up with one. The 10-round fixed mag, the funky stock, and way the action is mounted so far forward in the stock... I came into an SKS more or less by accident.

I live that freakin' thing. It's light, well-balanced, and points naturally for me.

Somewhere I have a 1980s Shotgun News with an ad for three SKSs for $79.95. Of course, the reason they were cheap was that 7.62x39 was rarer than an honest politician.
Old April 18, 2017, 02:05 AM   #9
Hdonly

TRX, I was the same way. Had not even considered owning one. A man that I worked with got to talking about his. The more I listened, the more I thought about it until I just went ahead and bought one. I have several rifles, but that SKS (the one I have pictured that I still have) is as much or more enjoyable to shoot as any. It is unique in feel and sound. I just love the heck out of it.
Old April 18, 2017, 08:07 AM   #10
Model12Win

Quote:
I hope your kidding right?
No, I'm not.

For it's time (end of WW2), it was a lightweight, incredibly reliable, quickly reloaded, intermediate range carbine that was forged from the street fighting of WW2. The SKS is a phenomenally rugged and dependable rifle. It was only later overshadowed by the AK-47 because of its 10 round box magazine but has the advantage of using lightweight stripper clips to carry ammo and it can be topped off during a lull. The AK does not have these benefits. Also the SKS is much more accurate than an AK.

It was and continues to be one of the greatest combat rifles ever.
Old April 18, 2017, 02:14 PM   #11
Blindstitch

I bought mine for sentimental reasons because my grandpa wanted to test it as a deer hunting rifle. We lived out in the boonies and it was raining one day so he ran out and posted a target and we went to the bedroom and sighted in the short little scope out the window.

I don't remember how many shots it took but at every shot the casing launched forward, hit the window frame, bounce and few times and came back and hit him on the top of the head.

I know we got i sighted in and then I didn't see it out again for a long time. When he went to live in the VA home 3 years ago I bought it for $225 with 400 rounds of hunting ammo not FMJ.

It's now the only semi rifle that I have but I almost wish I could get a hold on one of those canadian 5 round magazines.

It's more than accurate to shoot deer but I think the cheap 7.62x39 on the market makes the sks and ak shoot wider groups.

Old April 18, 2017, 08:33 PM   #12
Hdonly

I have shot several different brands of ammo. Accuracy does change with brands although some lots of Tulammo have done well. I have had pretty good accuracy with PPU ammo. From all I read, casting and reloading your own is where it's at. I have bought dies and now trying to decide what mold to get. Here where I live, a 50 yard shot is about as long as you will get in these woods. SKS is more than accurate enough for that. I have a Winchester 94 in 30-30 I like real well also. My new(old) SKS got delivered today, but I didn't get a call from my FFL dealer yet. Probably too late in the day for him to get through everything. I will call him in the morning. I am ready to clean it up and shoot it!
Bye the way, that is a nice looking SKS you have there. My new one won't be that nice looking I don't think.
Old April 19, 2017, 11:00 PM   #13
Hdonly

Got the new(old) SKS in today. All the numbers match. The bore looks brand new. The blue is gone and the stock is beat and cracked. I am going to keep the stock though and glue and pin the crack. It has about four different names? carved into it so I have to keep it original. It had enough cosmoline on it to grease my truck and my tractor. I used mineral spirits and it just melted away. About an hour and a half of brushing the metal and the stock. I was please how easy it was. I think I will just leave the stock as is for now. Overall I feel the rifle is in pretty good functional condition. My only problem is the carbon built up in the gas tube. The piston will only move easily about a quarter of what it should. I have been trying a few different bore cleaners and brass brushes. It is slowly coming along.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-04-19-222813.jpg (59.3 KB, 958 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-04-19-222736.jpg (57.4 KB, 879 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-04-19-222725.jpg (60.7 KB, 944 views)
Old April 19, 2017, 11:57 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

In today's world, I'd say that's a win.

If I were attacking it, I'd soak the gas tube in Bore-Tech Eliminator for the carbon. Seems to be the best thing I've come across. That, or nuke it with acetone and MEK.

Man, I miss the days of the $69 Chi-com, or $129 Russian SKS ... in barrels and crates at every pawn shop and gun shop.
Old April 20, 2017, 01:20 AM   #15
Hdonly

Yessir, I just wished I had bought a crate full back then. But I still have more guns than I can shoot in a day, so I guess it's ok! haha
Old April 20, 2017, 10:28 AM   #16
tangolima

Mine was from Yugoslavia. Not the clunky one with grenade launcher mind you.

Accuracy remained disappointing, although I tried different things I could think of to improve. As a last resort before giving up, I recut the crown, although it didn't seem to have anything wrong there. It made a huge difference. It can shoot better than 2moa at 100yd on regular basis.

It is a good rifle. I like it, but despise the AK.

-TL
Old April 20, 2017, 11:09 AM   #17
Hdonly

It is amazing how a very minor imperfection at the crown can throw accuracy out the window. It is the last thing the bullet sees though. I also like an SKS much more than an AK. I tried to convince my brother to buy an SKS instead of an AK. He didn't listen though. I will have to show him where he went wrong when I go visit him.haha

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-04-20-073746.jpg (55.6 KB, 894 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-04-20-073902.jpg (52.1 KB, 941 views)
Old April 22, 2017, 09:47 AM   #18
Hdonly

Got the good camera out. From what I have been reading, this is a 1962 Chinese with a replacement stock on it. Found in Albania and covered with Albanian trench art. Some names carved in the stock are unreadable. Tried to glue the crack up with Elmer's Carpenter glue. It came apart as soon as I slid the cover latch down. I carved it out a little and re-glued it with epoxy. I ordered a replacement stock for $20 . Just a little afraid that this stock may come apart while shooting. This old stock has a lot of character though so I will keep it. Going to wait on the replacement stock before trying to shoot it. I still can't get over how nice the bore looks compared to the outside of the rifle. All matching numbers in the 7 million range.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4221236.resized.JPG (196.2 KB, 1282 views)
File Type: jpg P4221237.resized.JPG (235.6 KB, 901 views)
File Type: jpg P4221239.resized.JPG (219.5 KB, 905 views)
Old April 23, 2017, 11:19 AM   #19
Tidewater_Kid

Very interesting rifle. Thanks for posting all the pictures. I'm sure it will be a good shooter.

TK
Old May 3, 2017, 08:04 PM   #20
Hdonly

Finally got to shoot my new Chinese-Albanian SKS today. First 12 shots at about 45 yards. Iron sights and without my glasses (I broke them). I am sure I can do better when I get my new glasses and can actually see the target. Still not bad for a beat up 55 year old battle rifle and a 62 year old blind fat man. Tulammo hollow points. And it also shot the PPU RNSP ammo without a hiccup. No slam fires. No failure to fire. No failure to feed. Just a great old rifle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg priv_partizan_rnsp.jpg (72.6 KB, 1334 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-05-03-194656.jpg (52.6 KB, 848 views)
Old May 3, 2017, 10:36 PM   #21
tangolima

Jolly good! That makes me want to shoot mine. It has been sitting in the safe since more than a year ago I fired it.

I few things I have been wanting to tinker. The ejection is a bit over zealous. Couldn't find a stronger recoil spring. Don't want to drill bleed holes in the gas tube. An idea borrowed from after-market Garand gas valve may work.

-TL
Old May 3, 2017, 11:11 PM   #22
Hdonly

This one throws brass forward and to the right about 6 or 7 feet. My Norinco throws to the right and a little rear.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:31 AM   #23
tangolima

I don't mind brass get thrown far away. But on mine, the ejector is beating up the brass head.

-TL
Old May 4, 2017, 10:30 AM   #24
Hdonly

I am happy to say that both of my SKS rifles eject the brass with very little damage. This new one actually leaves no marks on the brass. My Norinco does leave a little mark, but nothing to be concerned about. Guess I got lucky twice.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:56 PM   #25
Buckeye!

Gotta love those SKS's !!!!