The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 5, 2017, 08:02 PM   #1
Spats McGee
Staff

The Test of Time, Part II: The DeSantis Econobelt

The Test of Time, Part II: The DeSantis Econobelt

If you read my last review, you know a little bit of my history. My first actual gun belt was an Aker B21. Several months after I bought my Aker B21 that I mentioned in that post, I decided that I couldn’t wear just one belt every day. A lot of guys can, because they work in jobs where matching your belt to your shoes really isn’t an issue. I wear a suit to work. I wear a suit about 4 days a week, and while it’s unlikely that I would be ostracized for ill-matching belts and shoes, doing so would bother me.

In any event, since I had a brown belt, I went on the hunt for a black one, at a time when I was severely constrained by finances. Somewhere along the way, I discovered the DeSantis Econobelt. DeSantis describes it as “. . . . a combination bonded leather and other synthetic materials . . . . designed as an under-belt for the NYPD officers[.] It is available in black only with a black powder coated buckle.” In other words, it’s meant to be sturdy, not pretty. It’s meant to be hidden under another belt. As of this writing, an Econobelt is priced at $28.99. It was about $25 when I bought mine, and I found it on sale even cheaper than that. As I recall, I paid around $15 plus shipping.

There’s an old saying in retail: “You can have it good, fast, or cheap. Pick any two.” My DeSantis Econobelt apparently has a problem living up to that. I’ve been wearing this belt for ~5 years. I wear it as my black dress belt, and it has worn exceptionally well for such an inexpensive belt. Black belts, like black cattle, are pretty hard to photograph, but I can tell you that after ~5 years, it shows very little wear. It shows only minor cracking and warping. The buckle shows no wear whatsoever. And not one soul has ever commented on whether it's a "real" dress belt.
Old December 6, 2017, 07:51 AM   #2
rebs

Are you using it as just a dress belt or do you conceal carry with it ? I missed your first post.
Old December 6, 2017, 09:01 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Both, actually. I use it for cc in dress clothes.