The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2010, 10:58 PM   #1
usmcxd

Shotgun Pistol Grips

Does anyone know if the same Hogue Tamer Pistol grip works on both the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870?
Old February 25, 2010, 11:11 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

the mounting shape are different on both...
Brent
Old February 26, 2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Icopy1

No, it won't work on both. Also, if you put a PG on a Mossy, it makes activating the safety very difficult.
Old February 26, 2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Uncle Ben

Very good point by "Icopy". A pistol grip is not worth using, IMO. It makes the shotgun less controllable and less versitile. If you want to hold the gun low, just tuck the butt under your arm to your side.

Leaving the buttstock on will leave you the option to shoulder the gun if needed, for MUCH better control (especially for recoil/follow up shots) and much better aiming accuracy, if needed.
Old March 3, 2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Rem870Fan

I've just added an ATI combo pistol grip/buttstock on my 870 and it works great. I have the leverage and flexibility of the pistol grip with the recoil control and accuracy that comes from a standard stock. For $40 buck I highly recommend it.
Old March 3, 2010, 07:33 PM   #6
New_Pollution1086

PGO (pistol grip only) shotguns are inaccurate and uncomfortable to shoot.

just my honest opinion.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old March 4, 2010, 03:46 PM   #7
zombieslayer

Let me start off by saying that I'm not into the "tactical" thing. But my 500 with PG is awesome. I've been shooting it for 3 years and can even hang with the local boyscout troop at the skeet range. It takes some practice, but a really short 12ga that's easy to stash has some merit, imho. Mine stays loaded with 00buck in my truck or by my bed, fwiw. I also own other 500's. This ones just so handy...
Old March 4, 2010, 04:45 PM   #8
TxGun

I agree that PGO shotguns are far less versatile than guns with a full buttstock. But I disagree that they are uncontrollable and/or that they are painful to shoot. I do not find them to be either. In fact, at defensive ranges, i.e., out to 20' or so, I find a 12 ga. PGO shotgun to be easily controllable for accuracy, especially with reduced recoil buck, and actually fun to shoot. I have occasionally shot up to 20-25 rounds at a time with no problems whatsoever. My brother and I bounce plastic milk jugs all over his rural backyard, out to 25-30 yards or so, and rarely miss...maybe 'cause there's usually a wager involved . In any case, it's not a field set-up, or a target set-up, and obviously if you make those kind of comparisons you'll be disappointed. I find them to be a good option for a truck/travel gun, for example, as they are easier to maneuver inside a vehicle. Again, good for certain specialized applications, IMO. But certainly not versatile enough to replace your full stocked gun. And all JMO.

Last edited by TxGun; March 4, 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old March 4, 2010, 06:41 PM   #9
ubersoldate

Everything has its place.
I have two shotguns, mossy 500a1 and a remington 870 police magnum.
I have the hogue tamer in the remingtons case. I like to put it on when the gun is going to be a home defense weapon.

They are not meant for the field, they are nothing but a tool, and work very well for home defense in tight quarters.
If you cant shoot one, cant work the safety, or cant hit a target with it, then I would suggest not using one. I have none of those problems but then again, I have shot thousands of shells through mine and feel very confident shooting from the hip or faux sighting.
I PREFER one on my home shotgun, but once I leave the house to head to the desert/range/comp to shoot, I go back to either my speedfeed or costa mesa.
Although I do like having the short POG for a truck gun while 4 wheeling in the desert, takes up no room in my jeep and means business with snakes...
Like I said, everything has its place.
Old March 4, 2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Scattergun Bob

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANOTHER PGO THREAD

HAVE FUN BOY'S, I'LL PASS ON THIS ONE, THIS TIME.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Old March 4, 2010, 08:34 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

PGO shotguns are large,inaccurate, hard to control arms that are way less effective than the same model with a normal stock.

Net Ninjas to the contrary, in 99% of the time crisis management will go easier and safer with a shotgun employing a standard and good fitting stock.

If it's a toy for you to play with( and that's OK as long as that's understood) a PGO is your choice to make.

If it's a tool to protect your family and self, nothing beats a standard shotgun well known to you from frequent and regular use.

What must be added to a shotgun is wear marks.

NOTE: In all these nigh constant squabbles between the PGO fans and those of us who regard them with jaundiced eyes, I've yet to meet anyone who was paid to shoot shotguns with a PGO other than myself.

I fired hundreds, possibly thousands of rounds off with 870s equipped with folders as demonstrations for new shooters. I observed hundreds of people try and qualify with them. Not ONE had as easy a time doing so as when they shot from the shoulder.

BTDT, and you can keep all the PGOs......
Old March 4, 2010, 09:28 PM   #12
SigP6Carry

ICopy is right. The only reason I refuse to put a operated pistol grip on my Mossy for HD purposes is the safety. I keep my Mossy loaded on safe, and with a separated pistol grip, I just wouldn't be able to accentuate the safety. You're better off with the standard pistol grip that the shotgun comes with, anyway. It's got less edges and chances of catching on anything than a pistol grip does. Just my opinion, though.