The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 7, 2021, 05:22 AM   #1
simonrichter

Cutting edge .22lr bullets

Finally, there appears to be a lead-free option for .22lr: https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/...e-bullets/22lrhttps://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/...e-bullets/22lr

Apart from cutting out the lead, I'm pretty sure that these bullets will penetrate far better, eliminating one of the few advantages .25 acp had over .22lr in terms of tiny SD pistols.

Alas, it seems that only the bullets as such are marketed for reloaders. Which raises two questions: Who the heck reloads .22lr? I didn't even know this was possible... And secondly, is there maybe some manufacturer producing the whole package, complete rounds already loaded with these full copper bullets?

thx for your insights
Old November 7, 2021, 08:16 AM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
Finally, there appears to be a lead-free option for .22lr:
When I was a kid and into my twenties, shooting galleries at carnivals used sintered iron frangible ammo. Good luck trying to find it now.
Old November 7, 2021, 08:23 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Forum member stagpanther has been experimenting with those bullets, IIRC.

They can also be used in cartridges like .22 Hornet.

As for loading/reloading .22 Long Rifle: https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...2-reloader-kit
Jeepaholic
Old November 7, 2021, 09:32 AM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
Forum member stagpanther has been experimenting with those bullets, IIRC.

As for loading/reloading .22 Long Rifle: https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...2-reloader-kit
Jeepaholic
I did--but I thought you were messing with them too (or were you doing lead bullets only?)? OK--it's coming back to me--we both bought those crappy fed arms pre-primed cases?
Old November 7, 2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have been tinkering with loading .22 LR, but only with lead bullets. Those all-copper projectiles are too pricey for my needs.
Jeepaholic
Old November 7, 2021, 12:44 PM   #6
simonrichter

so there are no production rounds featuring these bullets?
Old November 7, 2021, 12:57 PM   #7
stagpanther

I believe Cutting edge does offer loaded ammunition but in my experience only the smallest of their bullets will be marginally stabilized in most 16 twist conventional twist 22lr bores. Also be careful of mixing the two different types of bullets in the same bore. In other words, for all practical purposes, unless you're prepared to buy a custom barrel specifically for copper projectiles (and headspace it, tricky thing with 22 rimfire), I'd pass on it. But that's just my opinion. Otherwise buy a custom-made rifle, but you'll be spending boucoups dinero for it.

Last edited by stagpanther; November 7, 2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old November 7, 2021, 05:06 PM   #8
stagpanther

Ooops! just noticed this is handguns, though I suspect the twist thing still holds true. Sorry bout that. Right off the bat I doubt cartridge length of their bullets would be compatible with most handguns/magazines--their projectiles must be fitted only to the base of the drive band. Their smallest 32 gr might work--I dunno.

Last edited by stagpanther; November 7, 2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old November 8, 2021, 08:06 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote the above. These are heel-based bullets, so they would not be suitable for .22 Hornet. They might work, but the heeled base would require seating them deeper than they are intended to be seated.
Jeepaholic
Old November 8, 2021, 04:29 PM   #10
Rob228

No experience with these BUT the NROTC unit that I instructed at (Boulder) was restricted to using lead free .22 ammo on the campus PD range. I don't recall the brand but it did not shoot well (Remington 541's and Smith and Wesson 41's) and was very expensive. Ended up moving off campus to the Longmont PD range and there was much rejoicing.
Old November 8, 2021, 06:52 PM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
No experience with these BUT the NROTC unit that I instructed at (Boulder) was restricted to using lead free .22 ammo on the campus PD range. I don't recall the brand but it did not shoot well (Remington 541's and Smith and Wesson 41's) and was very expensive. Ended up moving off campus to the Longmont PD range and there was much rejoicing.
My personal opinion is that conventional 22lr barrels will not work well with solid coppers because the way the bores are cut it is intended that the softer lead engraves more deeply into the rifling and the bore is also just barely more narrow than the bearing surface/drive band on solid coppers. Just my opinion though.
Old November 14, 2021, 01:04 PM   #12
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrichter View Post
Finally, there appears to be a lead-free option for .22lr: https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/...e-bullets/22lrhttps://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/...e-bullets/22lr

Apart from cutting out the lead, I'm pretty sure that these bullets will penetrate far better, eliminating one of the few advantages .25 acp had over .22lr in terms of tiny SD pistols.

Alas, it seems that only the bullets as such are marketed for reloaders. Which raises two questions: Who the heck reloads .22lr? I didn't even know this was possible... And secondly, is there maybe some manufacturer producing the whole package, complete rounds already loaded with these full copper bullets?

thx for your insights
I wonder how those will function in semi autos?

CCI makes a complete package fully function in semis, all copper hollowpoint for hunting

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953365521?pid=365521