The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 3, 2020, 08:46 PM   #1
dontcatchmany

I thought I had purchased my last gun...lol!

Last week I got a Ruger SP101 3" in 327 Magnum. Great shooting gun and it handles all the ammo comfortably that my LCR 327 is a bit uncomfortable with. Said that was going to be my last.

Well, today I was at a range shooting the SP101 and a gentleman came over to me(there were only three of us shooting).

He laid a Glock 20 (10mm) and a Chiappa Rhino 300 on the counter and asked if i wanted to shoot them....he seemed proud of them.

I first shot the 10 mm which was my first time with a 10 mm. I have 4 40 S&W guns and totally enjoy them. The Glock 20 was a breeze to shoot. Virtually no recoil or flip. I was totally surprised. 10 rounds were within 3 inches at 10 yds. In spite of its supposed power the 10 mm was better shooting than the 40 S&W.

Now I go to get a 10 mm out of my mind....aaarrrggghhh!

Then I picked up the Chiappa. My first time with one....actually the first time I have even seen one. I have 4 357 Magnum revolvers and I enjoy shooting them and have no problem with their recoil even the snubbies.

The Chiappa in 357 Magnum made the round a cream puff. I do not know what 357 he had it in, but I was amazed at the way it handled the round.

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh! Now I have a Chiappa on my mind.

When does it stop?????

Life is hell! LOL!
Old March 3, 2020, 10:04 PM   #2
TXAZ

On reading the title of your thread, for some reason the word heresy came to mind...

On the other hand, buy it you like it and can afford it. After all, you can't take it with you.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 3, 2020, 10:13 PM   #3
osbornk

I've bought my last gun 5 or 6 times so far.
Old March 3, 2020, 10:47 PM   #4
libiglou

I go to the range almost every Saturday morning with a friend then meet up with other people that are there the same time we are. All of us have extensive collections that we let each other shoot. It makes my weekend and sets me up in a good mood regardless of whats going on in my life. There is no greater pleasure than opening that safe and selecting what I'm shooting for the day. I gave up "last gun syndrome" a while ago. I'm good for 2 or 3 a year although money has gotten tight lately(somehow trumps tax cuts didn't apply to people living in NY) so its probably going to be only one this year. Life is too short so enjoy your hobby
Old March 4, 2020, 06:52 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

I have maybe one left if the right deal comes along. I’d like a .327 mag with a 3” barrel. Not too many people giving these up for a decent price. It’s not so much the money spent on new guns that’s killing me, it’s the cost of the ammo even though I handload.
Old March 4, 2020, 08:36 AM   #6
AgedWarrior

It is an addiction, I tell you! Last November I was thinking that I was quite content with the guns I own...I think I was trying to convince myself! Since then I bought my wife a S&W .22 compact that she liked. Then, about a month later I bought a Howa mini-action in 6.5 Grendel because...well because I like the cartridge and another rifle is good... And then this week I bought a Ruger Mark IV Target because it would be fun to shoot .22’s with my wife more often since she now has a new one...of course I already own a Ruger Standard Model, but I could justify this because it is easier to take down for cleaning. And that was all in a period of about four months! It is an addiction!
Old March 4, 2020, 09:17 AM   #7
Forte S+W

Quote:
I first shot the 10 mm which was my first time with a 10 mm. I have 4 40 S&W guns and totally enjoy them. The Glock 20 was a breeze to shoot. Virtually no recoil or flip. I was totally surprised. 10 rounds were within 3 inches at 10 yds. In spite of its supposed power the 10 mm was better shooting than the 40 S&W.
Are you sure they were full-power 10mm loads? I ask because unfortunately most factory loaded 10mm ammo is "10mm Lite" or "10mm FBI" loads which are essentially just .40 S&W loads in a longer case.

A lot of folks are unaware of this and make complete fools of themselves by bragging about how powerful their 10mm is compared to 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP, complete with arrogant/condescending comments about how it's a real man's weapon and .40 S&W stands for .40 Short & Weak or Short & Wimpy, only to post a picture of their uber powerful 10mm sitting amongst boxes of 10mm Lite ammo.

So yeah, it might have less recoil than your .40 because it's a heavier gun shooting loads of equal power.
Old March 4, 2020, 10:52 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Every gun in the last two years I've bought has been my last gun!
Old March 4, 2020, 11:27 AM   #9
dontcatchmany

I do not know what the load on the 100 or the Chiappa was.

If I got either I would test it to its max, but right now I am going to stick with what I got and might even sell a couple.

Have no need for the 10 mm.

Already have 4 guns in 357 magnum and they all shoot well.

And dang it, I am approaching 72 yo and can not keep up with what I have and would need to build an addition to the house and get a new safe and, and, and........but, still...
Old March 4, 2020, 11:58 AM   #10
ms6852

Last time 2 times I said I was not buying anymore firearms I ended up with a Sharps 45/70 rifle and a Springfield TRP 10mm long slide. I'm not going down that rabbit hole again.
Old March 4, 2020, 12:52 PM   #11
Wyosmith

There are no guns handguns out there that I am obsessed to acquire anymore. In fact I have sold a few. Per 1950 S&Ws still hold a place in my heart, but are usually priced at a point I am not unhappy not having them. I have those I really wanted so others are in the class of "it would be nice, but nothing I'd enjoy enough to make me spend that much".

There are still 2 rifles I'd love to get before I am too old to hunt anymore.

One is a Remington M14 or 141 in 35 Remington with a perfect bore and chamber.
the other is a Ruger M96 in 44 mag, again with perfect chamber and bore.

All other guns I wanted to get are in my safe, so I am no longer really looking.
Old March 4, 2020, 05:05 PM   #12
DaleA

Quote:
I am approaching 72 yo
And with all your experience there are still good things that catch your eye/capture your imagination. Isn't this a great hobby?

And to repeat what others have said go ahead and get it if you want it...this isn't a rehearsal this is the real thing.
Old March 4, 2020, 05:37 PM   #13
Kemikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh! Now I have a Chiappa on my mind.
A few weeks ago, I go to the range on my way home from work, as I am occasionally wont to do. I'm not even looking at the gun counters; I have no plans or interest for any more guns at the moment (and safe space is getting critically tight, too, for that matter). Just beeline for the range counter.

Where the rental guns are. And apparently they have a Rhino for rent now. Dammit. Well, I've been wanting to try one for years now. Might as well.

...Aaaand now I'm waiting for the phone call from my local shop to notify me that my 30DS is in...

It doesn't end, evidently.
Old March 6, 2020, 02:34 AM   #14
rep1954

You’re right honey that was my last gun and this is my newest gun. What, yes that was my newest gun but now it is my last gun isn’t that what it was supposed to be?

Last edited by rep1954; March 6, 2020 at 02:40 AM.
Old March 6, 2020, 09:22 AM   #15
Bozz10mm

Last year my wife informed me that I had bought my last firearm. I don't know how she could predict that.
Old March 6, 2020, 09:55 AM   #16
Ed4032

I just need one more, but really I can quit anytime.
Old March 6, 2020, 08:43 PM   #17
Kemikos

Pssst! Hey, you! Yeah, you! You wanna buy a gun? Just one more? C'mon, everyone's doing it! What are you, some kind of square?
Old March 6, 2020, 09:20 PM   #18
cslinger

I’m collecting the whole set myself.
Old March 9, 2020, 08:15 PM   #19
dgludwig

Quote:
When does it stop?????
When you answer the Grim Reaper's knock on your door.
Old March 11, 2020, 11:01 PM   #20
Prof Young

Not until . . .

You'll have to come to my funeral and ask someone there what my last gun purchase was.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 12, 2020, 05:32 PM   #21
ifithitu

I thought I had bought my last gun about five guns ago.
Old March 12, 2020, 08:59 PM   #22
Rangerrich99

I no longer say things like "this is my last gun." The best I can do it seems is to control the accumulation of firearms to a slow trickle for a year or so. Then the spigot must be opened up to a more respectable level for a couple years, then try to roll it back again, rinse and repeat.
Old March 15, 2020, 07:04 PM   #23
TimW77

Last Gun

Don't believe in a "last" gun only the "latest"!!!

Figure my actual last gun will be purchased the day I die or the day before...

TW
Old March 17, 2020, 09:57 PM   #24
zoo

Look at it more inline with buying bananas.

Not sure what that means but thought I should throw it out there.

Zoo
Old March 18, 2020, 04:09 PM   #25
dgludwig

Buying guns in bunches?