The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2020, 09:31 AM   #1
Willie Lowman

Red dots on pistols

I recently bought a Glock 34 MOS gen 5. I mounted a trijicon SRO with a CHPS mounting plate and had extra tall Dawson Precision sights mounted.

My intention is to shoot the Carry Optics division of USPSA when things warm up and matches resume.

So far I have only shot this pistol once at an indoor range but I was very happy with the groups I shot. Iron sights always look fuzzy to me indoors or in poor light. The dot was was a much better aiming method. The range I was at strictly forbids "rapid fire" so I don't know how this set up will work out for target transitions or the fast pairs that USPSA will require. I plan to go out to my farm and do some shooting as soon as we get a weekend with halfway decent weather.

So have any of you tried a dot on your pistol? What optic are you using? How do you like it?
Old February 16, 2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Areoflyer09

My EDC is a Glock 19 with a HoloSun 507c on it. I wouldn’t go back to just iron sights on it.
Old February 16, 2020, 05:21 PM   #3
TunnelRat

I’m using a Type II RMR (3.25 MOA) on a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS with the stock plate and blue loctite. I’ve been happy with it so far, but I only have 500 rounds with it installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 16, 2020, 05:47 PM   #4
Lohman446

Following as I’m considering picking up an MOS G19
Old February 16, 2020, 05:53 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Following as I’m considering picking up an MOS G19

FWIW, I’m very happy with mine. An interesting note is the MOS models, and the regular G45 IIRC, have a cut in the slide to the left of the breach face if looking from above. The case rim actually fits in it and is held tighter against the breach face as a result. When the slide reciprocates and contacts the ejector the end result is much better ejection, even compared to my other Gen 5s. It fixes what for me was always one gripe I had with Glocks.

Old February 16, 2020, 07:26 PM   #6
mk70ss

Loving the red dot on my Hellcat so far
Old February 17, 2020, 08:01 AM   #7
labhound

Two G19 gen 4 mos with Burris Fastfire lll red dots. I use them for IDPA matches.
Old February 18, 2020, 11:12 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

My buddy has one on his tricked out Glock. Brand unknown, but once you get the hang of it, its very accurate and enjoyable to shoot.

I also have one on my AR pistol... not a handgun per se, but again, I really enjoy shooting that gun and find the Holosun easier to use than on the Glock.

No sure that I would outfit any of my handguns with one, but I can still see the front site and rear site okay but a few more years may change that.
Old February 18, 2020, 11:27 AM   #9
ammo.crafter

Go dot!

Without "the dot" I would no longer be competing due to senior citizen eyes.

Installed Vortec on Colt 1911, Sig sp2022 & Ruger MK 1. Consistentantly finish in the top 3 at matches, if not 1st place.

Once you become accustomed to the sight picture, you will never return to iron sights.
Old February 18, 2020, 11:40 AM   #10
Lohman446

To those that EDC red dots: please forgive the dumb question because I don't have one, how much do they interfere with the holster and have they necessitated changes in your daily carry habits?
Old February 18, 2020, 12:25 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
To those that EDC red dots: please forgive the dumb question because I don't have one, how much do they interfere with the holster and have they necessitated changes in your daily carry habits?

Out of an effort for future proofing all of the holsters I had ordered for some time had red dot cuts done on them. This really just involves removing any material that might go up and over the slide, as is done for some sweat shields. It’s usually a cheap option (like +$5) and hasn’t affected my comfort. Most kydex makers give the option.

As far as changing my carry, it hasn’t as of yet. I still carry strong side IWB (between 2 and 3 o’clock). The RMR is pretty low profile so it doesn’t really print.

Old February 18, 2020, 12:58 PM   #12
Areoflyer09

Quote:
I run a Proto-M holster from Black Arch, it’s cut for the optic. I don’t notice the optic at all when I’m carrying it though and the Holosun 507c isn’t as small as the RMRs.
Old February 18, 2020, 01:29 PM   #13
Sharkbite

Any new holster i order, i get it with the red dot cut. Ive cut material off some older holsters that did not have the cut. The results are the same as a factory made cut...no issues.
Old February 20, 2020, 08:24 AM   #14
OhioGuy

I will never go back to not having a red dot on a pistol. Yeah, it took a lot of dry fire reps and presentation practice to find the dot in the window, and lots of live fire to not lose the dot between shots. But once I'd broken it in (meaning, broken myself in!) I just can't go back.

Inside of maybe 25' (?) I don't see any speed advantages over irons, provided the front sight is easy to spot. I can ghost the front sight over the target with both eyes open and get reliable center-mass hits. Beyond that it starts to get confusing to my eyes and I lose either the sight or the target. Red dots allow you to look where you need to look, and have holes magically appear where the dot is.

I think a lot of people think the sight will make them "more accurate" and are disappointed when they can't hit anything. If you can't shoot accurately with irons you'll never shoot accurately at all. But when trigger discipline and grip are mastered, the dot takes it to another level.
Old February 20, 2020, 08:26 AM   #15
OhioGuy

Quote:
So long as the holster is cut for the optic, there's no interference at all

No effect on how I carry, and no effect on concealment.

I'm really interested to see how well the new Sig Romeo Zero sights hold up and perform, given their cost-cutting measures. If they're reliable and rugged enough for daily carry, then they've set a new bar at $200.
Old February 21, 2020, 02:12 AM   #16
raimius

Within 10 yards, you'll probably be slower for a while. At distance, the dot makes things MUCH easier/faster.
Old February 21, 2020, 04:14 PM   #17
stephen426

@mk70ss,

Could you please post a pic of your Hellcat in your carry rig? I am curious if the red dot makes it harder to conceal (like a long grip would stick out). I just bought a Hellcat and am pretty happy with it. I was thinking of adding a light and laser to mine like I did with my Glock 43, but there aren't that many options out there yet as the Hellcat is still pretty new. Thanks!
Old February 21, 2020, 10:52 PM   #18
TunnelRat

Red dots on pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine2Five View Post
Battery life on the DP Pro is rather dismal compared to Aimpoint and RMR...

Results / feed back on this have been mixed. I would like to hear any feed back you have Doc.

For myself, shooting the through RMR is like shooting Indoors with sunglasses on. I'm not a fan of the tint or the small window.

The tint helps highlight the dot. I don’t find it that bad personally. The window being smaller I find more annoying than the tint. But part of that is likely the inverted arch of the housing, and that’s what makes the RMR as durable as it is.

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 22, 2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old February 22, 2020, 01:44 PM   #19
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Within 10 yards, you'll probably be slower for a while.
this is why I mounted the extra tall irons. As I raise the pistol I am lining up the irons so I can have the dot in the window faster.
Old February 23, 2020, 11:19 AM   #20
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote: Within 10 yards, you'll probably be slower for a while. At distance, the dot makes things MUCH easier/faster.

Good Point. I have trained with point and shoot skills so long, I found the Red Dots to not be of much help, actually slower at 0-15 or so yards I might put one on one of my larger non carry guns in the future. Not interested in adding any more weight or bulk than I have to for EDC. Barely use the sights as it is.
Old February 23, 2020, 11:23 AM   #21
TunnelRat

There is some bulk, but the weight is practically nothing. Handling the same pistol with and without the optic and I can’t really tell the difference. On a smaller pistol it might be more pronounced though. I don’t think the optic will ever replace point shooting. I have found that being good at point shooting actually helps with finding the dot without using the irons as reference.

Old February 23, 2020, 11:11 PM   #22
223 shooter

Quote:
So have any of you tried a dot on your pistol? What optic are you using? How do you like it?
I also have a Gen5 G34 MOS and use a Vortex Venom on it. The G34 really shows its accuracy potential with the red dot.
Old February 24, 2020, 06:38 AM   #23
OhioGuy

I'm using three different red dots.

On my CZ P-07 I have a Trijicon RMR Type 2, 6 MOA, auto-dimming. It's built like a tank. I switched the battery at 2 years because I had the sight off the gun and figured, eh, why not. But it was probably still fine. I zeroed it when I bought it. I have not zeroed it since. I think I could drive over that sight with in a Peterbuilt and it would not lose its zero. I've run it through three all-day outdoor shooting classes, it's been dropped in the dirt and gravel (part of the training -- unloaded!) and come home covered in dust. It's immortal.

On my Walther Q5 Match I'm running Vortex Viper 6 MOA sight. Costs half what the Trijicon and is no less accurate. I also have not re-zeroed it since I got it over a year ago. I've swapped it between that gun an a Ruger Mark IV .22 and maybe it's just luck, but the zero doesn't seem to be affected.

On my Walther PPS M2 I have the RMS-c sight that shipped with the gun. That's 3 MOA and auto-dimming, but I find it's never really as bright as I'd like it to be. I don't know whether a 6 MOA version of the same would improve matters or if it's really more about brightness. I haven't lost zero on that either. It's well made and very light, but the plastic window scratches if you look at it wrong. I've thankfully only picked up a single scratch from bouncing brass, but you can see on Walther forums where people's windows are all scratched to hell and back. But still, for CCW purposes it seems to be pretty well executed.

I hope to see and maybe use the new Sig Romeo Zero sight. It has manual brightness levels, but is activated by motion so the battery can last a very long time.

In no case has any sight affected my ability to use or conceal the gun. After my solid experience with the Vortex Viper, I don't think I'd hesitate to use it as a carry optic. I don't think it (or anything?) would survive like the Trijicon would, and I can see why police and militaries use that brand.

But today, if I had to recommend an optic for carry and general training based on my own experience, I would not hesitate to recommend the Vortex Viper (I'm sure the Venom is just as good, the Viper is just a little more compact) for any double stack gun.

For single stack -- I dunno -- unless the new Sig has some serious flaw, I'd probably go with it. It's half the price of the Shield and also has a polymer window -- if it's going to get scratched up anyway, you could buy two Sigs for the same price and probably be better off.

You *can* put a regular red dot onto a single stack pistol, you can find where people have used adapter plates to put an RMR onto a Glock 43 or whatever, but they look kinda goofy...
Old February 24, 2020, 07:08 AM   #24
mk70ss

Stephan426.... here you go

Old February 24, 2020, 10:54 AM   #25
stephen426

Thanks mk70ss. Does it conceal easily? That sight hardly adds anything at all. I was concerned it would affect the overall height, making the gun hard to conceal.