The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2020, 10:04 PM   #1
triplebike

Another Gun??? - Ruger SR22

Swore I was done. Thought I was satisfied with my current firearms. Yesterday I go to my LGS/range for a little shooting and I notice a very nice looking used SR22. Upon inspection it looks brand new inside and out. Mags looked hardly used. It was priced right so I asked them to put it aside for me & I would be back today to decide whether to purchase or not. Went back today LGS owner was there, we got to talking and he made me an offer I could not refuse, $179. The gun is now on layaway & I'll pick it up in a few days. This is the 5th Ruger firearm I've purchased within a year! (guess this makes me a "fanboy") I swear this is the last one. It has got to stop.
Old February 26, 2020, 11:37 PM   #2
riffraff

I own both a long and short slide model with a good pile of mags bumped to 17 rounds (2 kits are required to do this)..

They are a .22lr so are never going to be never-fail like a quality cared-for 9mm but they are great, no more jamomatic than say a 10-22..

The ammo I've settled on are 40 grain round nose cci mini mags, not for the 40 grain rather hollow points are pointless (well literally ).. though I'm not sure I can say it runs any different on the 36 grain that comes only in hollow point. That's all I stock for all .22lr guns and they all like it.
Old February 27, 2020, 12:52 AM   #3
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
I own both a long and short slide model with a good pile of mags bumped to 17 rounds (2 kits are required to do this)..

They are a .22lr so are never going to be never-fail like a quality cared-for 9mm but they are great, no more jamomatic than say a 10-22..

The ammo I've settled on are 40 grain round nose cci mini mags, not for the 40 grain rather hollow points are pointless (well literally ).. though I'm not sure I can say it runs any different on the 36 grain that comes only in hollow point. That's all I stock for all .22lr guns and they all like it.
I have the +5 mag bumps, but what's the other kit to get the extra 2 rounds?
Old February 27, 2020, 06:56 AM   #4
kozak6

Honestly, the SR22 isn't on my list because the backwards safety makes me unreasonably grumpy and because it's notably less accurate than the MK and 22/45 series.

However, a good .22 lr pistol is arguably the most entertaining pistol to shoot there is. And in my opinion, it's important to have spare pistols for logistics purposes and so you can shoot with friends.

Despite my initial consternation, I guess the safety doesn't matter so much on a plinker DA/SA at $179. I would have bought it too. Well done.

Let us know how it shoots .
Old February 27, 2020, 07:45 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

At $179, that's a hard deal to beat. Congratulations!
Old February 27, 2020, 08:58 AM   #6
PSP

$179 is a great price. Used guns are probably closer to $250. I 've enjoyed the SR22 very much. So far I have not found any ammo that causes problems. My pistol has been remarkably reliable. I added a cheap laser to it a while back and that adds to the fun factor. The mags are the easiest to load that I know of. Enjoy!

Thread needs a pic...
Old February 27, 2020, 12:32 PM   #7
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I have the +5 mag bumps, but what's the other kit to get the extra 2 rounds?
So looking at it now there are different kits, but in short the Wingman kit and the Taylor Tactical Kit, which are made to be used together to get 17.. believe Wingman got me +3 and Taylor +4..

Looking at it now though, there is an updated Wingman kit for +5 and multiple kits by Taylor tactical, but Taylor advertises only 16 rounds while mine hold 17... sooo something changed but investigate those 2 kits.
Old February 27, 2020, 12:36 PM   #8
riffraff

The safety on an SR22 works like the decocker on my Sigs, so provided I don't leave it on (which I don't) it is very similar to other DA/SA exposed hammer pistols.

It is very nice having a decocker on this style of pistol.
Old February 29, 2020, 07:20 PM   #9
Ruger45LC

I had a threaded SR22 a few years back, it shot well but I found that I liked shooting my Buckmark better so I sold it, but it was a good gun for sure.
Old March 1, 2020, 12:04 AM   #10
doofus47

It's a good find for 179.
Love mine. My daughter is ridiculously accurate with it.
Happy Shooting
Old March 1, 2020, 04:04 AM   #11
Carl the Floor Walker

I have owned a SR22 since they first came out. Ran like a top, but had severe issues with galling of the slide. Had it back to Ruger on a number of occasions. Ruger replaced the slide twice. Since then no problems.
The SR22 I own is one that will run 22.cal ammo of any kind I have put through it. Extremely reliable. In fact I cannot recall when it had a failure. I am sure I have had one, just so reliable I do not remember.
It is kind of a strange 22.cal. It does not seem to get dirty or no where near as dirty as others. Seems almost clean after use.
I use if for training for my other guns. Fast point and shoot. Accuracy is not this guns strong suit. But good enough for what I do.
For accuracy, believe it or not the Little Phoenix HPA is fantastic. I do a lot of drills where I place 2" glow pasters lined up with three to a row, and 9 rows down. Then as fast as I possibly can, I shoot, try and nail all . The Phoenix excels in this drill for instance.
I prefer the Phoenix HPA22 over the SR22. In fact have two of them. And cost about half the price.
I also do not like the Ruger trigger. The amount of free play before the break is weird. Feels like the trigger spring is broke or not working. Really wish Ruger would come out with a DAO style trigger.

What is my favorite 22.cal for sheer fun? The LCR. And has been a huge aid in my small barrel training which I love to shoot. Pocket guns, revolvers and Micro 9mm's.

All said, Congrats to the OP, I am sure he will have a lot of fun and good training with the SR22 and he sure got a great deal. Ruger customer service has been top notch.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; March 1, 2020 at 04:19 AM.
Old March 1, 2020, 04:22 PM   #12
triplebike

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. With every used gun I've ever purchased, the 1st thing I do is replace the recoil spring assembly. Since I don't know the actual history of the used firearm I feel it's cheap insurance. I purchased and have already received a TANDEMKROSS captured recoil spring. Looking forward to shooting the Ruger SR22. This was purchased as a purely "fun gun" for plinking.
Old March 1, 2020, 06:31 PM   #13
SGW Gunsmith

Being up here in Northwestern Wisconsin we have a bunch of 'ol grizzle bear guys who trap all sorts of critters with "long pointed teeth", and even a few of those trappers now smell the same as the "black & white striped" rascals they catch.
I had one customer who had lost the ends of his left hand fingers, middle, ring and pinky on a sort of 45° angle in a "conibear" trap. Can't even imagine what words that produced. He wanted a NEW .22 pistol.
I sold 'ol John a Ruger SR22 a couple years ago. He wanted a compact .22 pistol for short range argument settling with any critters not happy with the current situation. Next thing I knew, four other trappers were in my shop lookin' for one "jus' like it". None have had any complaints concerning reliability.
Old March 2, 2020, 08:54 PM   #14
triplebike

Got it, shot it, love it!

Picked it up this afternoon, since my LGS is also a range, got to shoot it immediately. Swapped out the stock recoil assembly with a tanderkross recoil assembly. I fired approximately 375 rds, all kinds of ammo, mostly bulk and it ate each and every one of them without a single problem. I simply can't find anything I don't like about this gun. The DA trigger is long (as it should be) and the SA is totally acceptable, quite good actually. Accuracy is also quite good, I shoot at a 3 inch circle with my handguns at 12yds for practice & I had no problem putting all rds in the "red". I have no problem with the sights whatsoever, but will flip the rear blade to solid black which I prefer. I always liked the eurgos of the SR22 which fits my hand exceptionally well. After today I know that I'm really going to enjoy this " FUN GUN"! By the way this makes Ruger 5 for 5 for outstanding guns purchased by me.
Old March 2, 2020, 09:30 PM   #15
Drm50

I’ve had the Ruger, S&W, Walter and SIG Mosquito 22lrs. While they all functioned reliably except for SIG they didn’t have the degree of accuracy I wanted for field carry. They had pinker accuracy. They aren’t target pistols. I don’t have use for any of this type pistol.
Old March 7, 2020, 02:50 PM   #16
tallball

Mine did not fit my hands well and I was very disappointed by its trigger, but I am also a trigger snob with enormous hands.
Old March 8, 2020, 10:31 PM   #17
Cosmodragoon

The SR22 is a really fun little gun. I normally carry DA/SA so it's nice to keep in line for plinking and fun. As far as the manual safety goes, I don't use it. I see manual safeties as totally unnecessary on DA/SA guns. I actually feel that they make guns less safe from a defensive standpoint. Luckily, we aren't talking about a carry gun here. This is pure fun in an attractive and ergonomic package.

Sure, the trigger could be a little nicer. Treating this as a training aid, especially for young shooters interested in DA/SA, there might be some value in keeping it as is. Barring that, is there an upgrade available?