The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 4, 2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Rickenbacker53

Reloading For Best Accuracy N Handguns ???

I am going to be shooting for accuracy at the local club ..$$$ is involved.

45ACP 40 SMITH AND 45 COLT WILL BE THE CALIBERS. HANGUNS - WHAT DIE SETS OR COMBINATION OF DIES WOULD YOU RECOMMEND OR SUGGEST. I'VE DONE ENOUGH READING TO SEE EVERY COMPANY HAS THEIR FORTE IN DIES .

FOR EXAMPLE LYMANS EXPANDER DIE IN 2 STEPS..ANYONE KNOW..HORNADY'S MICRO STEM ON THEIR SEATER DIE. IS JUST STICKING WITH REDDING COMPETION SET THE WAY TO GO??STILL NEED A GOOD NECK EXSPANDER. RELOADING WITH HORNADY LNL AP - DILLON 550 & ROCKCHUCKER ..

ANY IDEA WOULD BE GREAT OR WHERE TO LOOK
Old April 4, 2009, 07:03 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

A high master bullseye shooter that I know loads his 50yd [.45ACP] ammo on a Rockchucker with twenty five year old dies. If there is $$ involved that's what I would do.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old April 4, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Use good bullets. The best dies on the market will not make a cheap plated, bulk cast, or FMJ shoot with dollar winning accuracy. Hornady XTP and Nosler JHPs are well thought of.
Old April 4, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
melchloboo

I compete in Bullseye, I know the community fairly well. Every press known to man is used. The press and dies make no difference in accuracy. They all have accurate powder throws nowadays, and they all seat OAL pretty accurately. There is no press that is known to make "bad" rounds. However, there are presses that are known to have fewer hangups in operation than others. They hall have pluses and minuses.

Just like the gun, its the operator behind the press that determines how consistent the rounds coming off it are.

That said, if you want to reload rifle some day you may want to research the presses carefully. But for pistol, as I say, it doesn't matter.

So don't worry, for pistol you will never have your press as an excuse why you're not hitting the x at 50 yards.
Old April 5, 2009, 05:31 AM   #5
darkgael

+1

Quote:
I compete in Bullseye, I know the community fairly well. Every press known to man is used. The press and dies make no difference in accuracy. They all have accurate powder throws nowadays, and they all seat OAL pretty accurately. There is no press that is known to make "bad" rounds. However, there are presses that are known to have fewer hangups in operation than others. They hall have pluses and minuses.

Just like the gun, its the operator behind the press that determines how consistent the rounds coming off it are.

That said, if you want to reload rifle some day you may want to research the presses carefully. But for pistol, as I say, it doesn't matter.

So don't worry, for pistol you will never have your press as an excuse why you're not hitting the x at 50 yards.
Yep. What he said.
Pete
Old April 5, 2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Rickenbacker53

Thanks Thats What I Wanted To Know

I recently acquired 3 sets of Redding Competition Dies sets so cheap that I couldn't pass them up. I haven't used them so I was thinking about doing the Ebay route with them. Things seem to sell for much more there than anywhere else. I could get alot of nice comments for what they will bring if a set of my Lee or hornady dies will do the trick. Besides I paid Lee prices for them so even getting just the regular price for them would be profitable. In the Redding dies defense I have heard they are very smooth. It's hard to know if what your reading is all hipe or not. Dillon, Lee , Hornady, Redding, they all boast the best. So what is and isn't true is questionable with-out have hands on experience. That isn't always economically feasible.

Thanks again for your opinions
Old April 6, 2009, 03:15 PM   #7
melchloboo2

When it comes to dies there are maybe a few things to consider:

1. Generally nowadays you want carbide because then you don't have to lube the cases, although some people still do anyways.

2. Will they fit on your press? While for the most part they all fit each other, there are exceptions...I believe the dillon square deal dies are unique to it, but I could be mistaken.

3. Will they "work" on your press, in the sense that if you have a 3 or 4 station press, a 5 die setup might not work for you. And is the way they are set up how you want to do it? For example, I use 4 stations to do my 38 specials; 1) deprime, 2) prime and resize, 3) bell and powder, 4) seat and crimp. For 45ACP I break up 4 into 2 steps, because lee has a crimp die that serves as a second resizing/test as well to make sure the round will probably feed ok.

I would say you should make up your mind on the press and then decide what you want to do about dies. If you buy a used press with dies its a moot issue, try both and decide.