The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 29, 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
maxman894

Wake up call of knowing your target and what's behind it.

Something that happened at my school Friday night. A little wake up call of knowing what is behind your target.

http://wmfd.com/newsboard/single.asp?Story=47411
Old August 29, 2011, 03:26 PM   #2
jibberjabber

glad no one was killed
Old August 29, 2011, 03:31 PM   #3
maxman894

Amen to that. There were more cops there in 5 minutes than most people will ever see in their whole life.
Old August 29, 2011, 03:38 PM   #4
chadstrickland

Glad nobody was hurt
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old August 30, 2011, 07:52 AM   #5
TailGator

Fortunate indeed that no one was seriously hurt. I would be interesting to know what "hit but not wounded" means.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:06 AM   #6
kadima

When the residual cynetics of the bullet are such that you feel the bullet hitting you but don't get wounds.

K.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Catalyst

Feeling kinda mixed on the no charges having been filed part. If the injuries were indeed minor and they didn't want to press charges then I suppose no harm, no foul but it kinda pisses me off that the group negligently endangering everyone at that soccer game (and elsewhere) aren't facing some heat.

Accidents happen but it's crap like this that gives responsible shooters more hoops to jump through.
Old August 30, 2011, 10:40 AM   #8
MrDontPlay

Can we start calling them defense rifles?
Old August 30, 2011, 02:37 PM   #9
markj

Sounds like they need a good backstop before they start shooting. Coulda been a lot worse.
Old August 30, 2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Tactical Alex

My question too Markj. What were they shooting into to help ensure things like this don't happen. You don't have to be a Range Master to know that there's ALWAYS a chance for fliers, especially with the good old .223 or 5.56mm rounds but there's still many techniques that can reduce those risks greatly.

I'm curious if the city this happened in has a good set of laws on where people are allowed to shoot firearms legally without endangering possible third parties? I don't mean to twist this on too the government in any way though. I still think the fault lies with the shooters who did not plan properly to ensure the safety of everyone before they began their shooting.

"Practice does not make perfect...PERFECT practice makes perfect."
Old August 30, 2011, 02:47 PM   #11
old bear

Quote:
Feeling kinda mixed on the no charges having been filed part.
As do I.
Old August 30, 2011, 05:37 PM   #12
maxman894

Tactical Alex, they were inside the city limits, so they will at least get charged with discharging a firearm within city limits.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:15 PM   #13
WW2

They were shooting in the air!

The distance was 1.07 MILES from the game. The bullet drop of a 5.56 at this range is in the neighborhood of 150 FEET! They had to aim very high to get the bullet that far down range.

Additionally, the "hit but not wounded" implies that the bullet was traveling at terminal velocity similar to the mythbusters test (see http://mythbustersresults.com/episode50 ) so it seems, based upon the little evidence given, that these may have been shots fired nearly vertically!

Just my supposition!

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:55 PM   #14
Dwight55

If this is the Ontario, Ohio I know of near Mansfield, . . . it's Booneyville almost all around the area. The shots could easily have come from far outside the city limits of the area, . . .

But it indeed sounds like someone needs a lesson on safe gun handling, . . . like the property / gun owners.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 30, 2011, 08:57 PM   #15
maxman894

Dwight55, it is indeed the one right by Mansfield. The one General Motors had a plant in.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:28 PM   #16
Sefner

Quote:
The distance was 1.07 MILES from the game. The bullet drop of a 5.56 at this range is in the neighborhood of 150 FEET! They had to aim very high to get the bullet that far down range.

Additionally, the "hit but not wounded" implies that the bullet was traveling at terminal velocity similar to the mythbusters test (see http://mythbustersresults.com/episode50 ) so it seems, based upon the little evidence given, that these may have been shots fired nearly vertically!

Just my supposition!
Not so fast. Putting some basic info into a ballistics calculator, the .223 round terminates (hits the ground) about 1.5 miles when fired at 25 degrees from parallel.

You are correct that they weren't firing parallel to the ground, my thought is that had they been doing that something other than a human body would have stopped the bullet (a tree, car, etc).

My guess is that they were shooting at something on top of a berm and missed. Two shots that were close together from over a mile. Those are aimed shots, not shooting into the air.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:34 PM   #17
Mr. James

WW2, thank you. Wow.

Good news that no one was seriously injured, but what a strange case. They launched rounds skyward and managed to howitzer people that far away. I'd love to read the follow up here.

Just guessing, not knowing Ohio law, that they'll face illegal discharge violations of some sort. Doesn't appear they were out to kill the soccer moms.

Truly shoddy "journalism", however. They post a photo of a police rifle, say the rifle used is in the evidence locker, and so we don't even know if it was an eeevil black rifle or a Ruger Ranch Rifle. Of course, the general audience will just assume an eeeevil black rifle, and draw the usual conclusions. "No one needs a military weapon like that." Blecchh. It's like those "if it bleeds, it leads" local news broadcasts where they show a handgun, even when the crime involved a stabbing. Bleccchhh.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old August 30, 2011, 10:06 PM   #18
maxman894

It is shoddy journalism. Not sure what actually happened. Still a good reminder to everyone.
Old August 31, 2011, 03:19 AM   #19
mete

It's called reckless endangerment !! Charges should be placed !
Old September 1, 2011, 08:05 AM   #20
Helios

Quote:
It is shoddy journalism. Not sure what actually happened. Still a good reminder to everyone.
Indeed. They didn't miss their opportunity to post a scary black rifle (one owned by the police, not the shooter) and claim it was an assault rifle.