The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2019, 09:49 AM   #1
kilotanker22

.308 200 grain ELDX.

So since I found out that I do not have a tear in my rotator cuff. I decided to keep the 300 win mag and start load development for the 200 grain ELDX. I did my ladder test as usual, but loaded an extra round at the top 2 charges and fired them into a dirt pile I made. I kept my Magnetospeed attached so I had a reasonable estimate of impact velocity.

The first Bullet penetrated roughly 13 inches of dirt. The dirt also was wet and still had stones and stuff in it. I was able to recover that bullet. Velocity at the muzzle was 2995 and the dirt pile was at 25 yards.

The second bullet went right through the dirt pile. Velocity at the muzzle was 3017.

When I get home I will post a photo of the recovered bullet. Mushroomed perfectly and held on to the core. Pretty impressive in my opinion. I figure velocity was around 2970 at impact. I know this is dirt and not an animal, but I have no doubt that I will always have an exit on deer. And should perform beautifully on pretty much any other animal this side of the Atlantic.

Coincidentally, I had a flat spot in velocity between 2986 and 2996 that was nearly .8 grains wide. So hopefully I will have a load finished for this tomorrow. Pending how it shoots.

Today was shot from the lead sled with 30 pounds weight. That is how I will be shooting until my shoulder heals.

I will post a photo of the recovered bullet in an hour or so
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 15, 2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

A series string of water in used plastic milk jugs, while not ballistic gelatin, will come closer than dirt to simulating tissue, and doesn't cost anything appreciable to set up.

How much dirt did the pass-through bullet penetrate? Hatcher has a photo of two .30-06 150 grain M1 Ball bullet penetration paths through oak. The first went only about a foot. It was fired at 50 feet. The second was over 30 inches. It was fired from 150 yards. The difference was the first bullet tumbled, turning sideways in the wood, which stopped it fast. Tumbling is much more likely at close range due to initial yaw that hasn't settled out yet, but it's not certain to happen as the bullet might be randomly straight at the moment of impact despite initial yaw.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 15, 2019, 11:44 AM   #3
kilotanker22

The mound of dirt I made was about 36 inches deep. Here are some photos of the slug I was able to recover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_15032019_124540_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (153.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_15032019_113313_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (174.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_15032019_113258_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (113.2 KB, 33 views)
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 15, 2019, 11:49 AM   #4
kilotanker22

And one more photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_15032019_113222_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (92.6 KB, 24 views)
– St. Augustine
Old March 15, 2019, 12:02 PM   #5
kilotanker22

I assumed that the first shot. The one I recovered. Lossened the dirt on account of all the energy that it dumped into the pile. I never really packed the dirt down anyway.

I will buy some ballistic gel and try. I wonder how much gel I am gonna need to recover one of these at that velocity.
– St. Augustine
Old March 15, 2019, 04:42 PM   #6
std7mag

Yup, that will kill the tree 100 yards on the other side of a deer, just fine...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 15, 2019, 05:56 PM   #7
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Yup, that will kill the tree 100 yards on the other side of a deer, just fine...
Should also work beautifully On elk if I am lucky enough to draw a tag anytime soon.

Once my shoulder is feeling better I will practice with it without the sled. I am sure recoil is pretty stout.
– St. Augustine
Old March 16, 2019, 05:37 AM   #8
std7mag

Elk aren't tanks, ya know.
Plenty of people drop elk with 168gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets every year with 7mm Rem Mag.
Go in 3-5 inches and come apart.
My large doe at 400 yards, found jacket under offside hide. Internals utterly destroyed. That with a 140gr. Berger.
I wouldn't hesitate a second to use one on an elk.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 16, 2019, 05:45 PM   #9
kilotanker22

Flat spot is good.

These bullets don't shoot very well at all from this rifle though. 2.5 " at 100 was about the best I could get.
– St. Augustine
Old March 16, 2019, 07:05 PM   #10
Rimfire5

I regularly shoot 200 grain SMKs in one of my .308s as well as 195 TMKs because they shoot accurately in my oldest .308.
I do notice an increase in the push from the heavier bullets when I switch from a 168 or 175, even when they are only 20 to 25 grains heavier.

Careful of that shoulder, kilotanker22, you don't want to prolong your recovery.

Last edited by Rimfire5; March 17, 2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old March 16, 2019, 07:11 PM   #11
kilotanker22

Lead sled with plenty of weight helps a lot
– St. Augustine