The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 29, 2002, 03:31 PM   #1
hansolo

CZ 75b - Tanfoglio slidestop

I knew it was a matter of "when", not "if": a couple of days ago, I started having jams with my CZ 75B 9mm. The day before, I went through about 150 rounds of CCI/Blazer with no problems.
The slide stop pin had sheared in half.

Being on warranty, CZ is sending a relacement. I met a fellow selling a bunch of Tanfoglio parts -- is the slidestop interchangeable on these pistols? I don't have the Tanfoglio part in my hand, yet. I figured it would be smart to keep a spare around so that the next time it snaps, I'll have another one.

Thanks!
Old September 29, 2002, 04:20 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

I'm not sure if the parts are interchangeable, but...

Rather than get a spare slide stop, you might be better served by getting a higher rated (16 1b or 17 lb) recoil spring. (Or, do both. Recoil springs from Wolff are a lot cheaper than slide stops.)

Slide stops breaking on CZ are rather rare, but it happens.

When I talked with Mike, the CZ gunsmith about it -- anticipating a problem -- , he recommended a stronger recoil spring -- as the cause of their breaking isn't a defective stop, but an insufficiently strong recoil spring.
Old September 30, 2002, 12:15 PM   #3
hansolo

CZ slidestop broke

Hi, Walt!

I brought my CZ 75B to the gunshop where I bought it just THREE MONTHS AGO(!). The manager, who is a former LEO and VERY familiar with all types of firearms, just looked at the Slidestop pin sheared in the middle and was shocked! He knows me to be very conservative: I use only 115g factory ammo -- nothing like Wolf or anything especially 'hot'. I also clean the pistol every time I go the range and, generally , BABY the thing!!

I went to a standard 14 lb. Wolff spring at Mike of CZ's suggestion. I've done everything right, and will try the stronger Wolff spring. I showed the sheared pin to another 'Smith: he thinks that the pin broke right of center, indicating the barrel lug is hitting the pin at an angle...not straight on as it should. I recently read more than one post on the CZ Forum in which CZ owners have had similar breakages, BTW.

Oh, well, looks like another lemon from Czech Republic!