The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 15, 2009, 09:54 AM   #76
Brigadier

Quote:
Those who don't wan't to admit that semis are as good as pumps (if not better) probably just can't afford them...sorry.

I'll put my $500 930 up against a Benelli any day.
Old July 15, 2009, 10:45 AM   #77
stargazer65

Quote:
Given time, semi-autos will be accepted. All new-fangled technology requires time for some people to accept.
I find it funny to think my 35 yr old 1100 as newfangled.

Do you think those newfangled solid state color TV's will ever catch on as well?
Old July 15, 2009, 11:10 AM   #78
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I used to have an 870, hunted with it for years and never shot it otherwise, because it just wasn't pleasant. I sold it for $300 and bought a NIB 1187 for $400 OTD. I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it (I had TWO on the 870, a screw on and a slip on, partly because of LOP but mostly to try to not break my arm) and it shoots like a dream. I can put 20 deer slugs through it and never feel a bit of pain. The 870 would bruise my shoulder after 1 box of shells.

Why do people prefer a pump? That's a good friggin' question.
Old July 15, 2009, 11:40 AM   #79
stargazer65

Quote:
I can put 20 deer slugs through it and never feel a bit of pain. The 870 would bruise my shoulder after 1 box of shells.

Why do people prefer a pump? That's a good friggin' question.
I agree. I guess I'm just a sissy boy, I don't like getting slugged in the shoulder with a brick.
Old July 15, 2009, 11:42 AM   #80
neon

Quote:
You know, I'm just making jest with some of the old geezer comments that have been made. Nothing serious or personal here.

For the record, I still have a pump action but I've just started to like autoloaders. Probably because I'm getting old.
I was just having fun last night too. In fact I own and shoot semi shotguns as well

Just was feeling spicey last night..lol
Old July 15, 2009, 12:39 PM   #81
SeekHer

Pump guns are much cheaper to buy but offer no recoil reduction whatsoever unless added on like recoil pads, mercury tubes or porting...They are cheap and some are made cheaply to compete in the market place...

They are in no way deadlier or less so then any other shotgun, more intimidating, no -- I'd say a double barrel is more so; looking into two huge holes, unnerving and the fallacy of the bad guy crapping their pants or surrendering when they hear the slide racking back is preposterous, sheer lunacy and really should not be propagated further...Firstly, it should have been racked before engaging, unlike in the movies where they rack the gun three, four times before they shoot it once and secondly, it gives your position away and what your firepower is, duh!

If one is handicapped, primarily to the upper body on one side (usually left) then the gun can't be reloaded or can be but with great difficulty...whether that be bullet wounds during an engagement or the result of an accident or accident of birth matters naught...

I just don't like them, never have and never will although I do have an Ithaca Sweet Sixteen, 16 bore that I bought for the bore size not the action...I'm also recoil shy, so any reduction is appreciated...

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old July 15, 2009, 12:50 PM   #82
neon

My very first shotgun was a single shot 12 gauge. That thing kicked like a mule.
Old July 15, 2009, 01:09 PM   #83
pinetree

Do they? Are they going to shoot it or stick it in the closet waiting for the zombies?

I've been shooting a Beretta AL390 for 15yrs, thousands of shells. No issues. Whether in a muddy half frozen river in Arkansas, a pea field in Canada, a dove field in southern AL or clays at the club it does it all from heavy 3" steel to trap loads. I know of no one in my circles that would buy a pump as a primary shooter. Maybe for those late night bumps in the dark but not for sport shooting or hunting birds.

tim
Old July 15, 2009, 06:30 PM   #84
sp-train-77

Funny thread, lots of opinions, even a few flames.

People own what they like best. Doesn't have to be a reason for it, it is just what they like.

You will use what you like and ignore what you do not like no matter how many of us tell it is better
Old July 15, 2009, 06:43 PM   #85
roy reali

My Experience

I have been shooting self-loading shotguns for many years. Yes, I've had some jams. I know folks that use pumps that have had their guns jam. In fact, I remember seeing some threads here about folks with pump shotguns that are having feeding troubles.

I don't buy the reliability arguement. Now, if a shooter has a preference for pump shotguns, that is another story.

If utter reliability is a concern, one should get a side-by-side or stack barrel shotgun. Granted, you only get two shots, but jamming and feeding problems are very rare. I have an over and under shotgun, it has never failed to cycle.
Old July 15, 2009, 07:20 PM   #86
rickyjames

is the military still using pumps only or do they now use semi's? i guess russia uses those saigas.
Old July 15, 2009, 07:25 PM   #87
greyson97

Quote:
is the military still using pumps only or do they now use semi's? i guess russia uses those saigas.
the US Marine Corp uses Benelli M4s
Old July 15, 2009, 08:26 PM   #88
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gee, I go away for a couple days and look what you get into....

Seriously, there's more ways than mine, but here's my take.

And no greater fan of pumps has ever dropped a triple on a true covey flush....

I've shot pumps since Ike was Prez.

The combination of reliability, durability, cost and versatility is hard to beat.

However, I HAVE shot other types, and my Beretta O/U gets more exercise these days than my pumps.

The only auto I ever owned was a Model 11. While reliable,it fit me not. It does fit one of my many first and second cousins, and he cherishes it.

I have handled and shot ....

SX1s and 2s,

Browning Golds.

Auto 5s and 2000s.

51s.

11-48s, 58s, and I tended an early 1100 when its owner had to go out of the country for a couple years. 28" barrel, Mod choke, and a slip on pad made it fit me well. I didn't shoot it heavily out of respect for my friend but I did do better than expected on SC targets the one time I took it sporting.

303s, 390s, 391s, etc.

Al-48s.

50s, 59s, 1400s and so on.

And it the truth be told., I LIKED most of them.

However, 870s have in my hands......

Followed the lines of various speeding game critters and birds and helped me "Reduce them to possession" for a half century with pleasing regularity.

Put at least 30 deer on the table here and helped feed the hungry elsewhere.

Eliminated pests, controlled starlings and even landfill rats.

Provided a means of defense that was as reliable as anything made by man.

And in Venice, Ca, in the 1970s, helped me convince two "Socio-economically disadvantaged youths" that breaking into my apartment in the wee smalls was not only illegal but darn stupid.

As for the short stroking thing, in a lifetime of use extending over a half century and maybe 100K rounds, I did it once on a pair of clays. A failure rate of .001% seems acceptable.

As for the auto/pump debate. my view's to use what you want, but

know how to run it.....
Old July 15, 2009, 09:02 PM   #89
.45 COLT

Just preference. My hunting rifles are Model '92s and '94s. My carry gun is a Colt SAA. With shotguns, I've pried myself out of the 1800s and use several Wingmasters - the newest of which is 40 years old. I have a lot of other guns, but those are the ones I go to most often - the ones I prefer.

DC
Old July 15, 2009, 10:30 PM   #90
kozak6

Quote:
Given time, semi-autos will be accepted. All new-fangled technology requires time for some people to accept.
How much time? JMB invented the semiautomatic shotgun in 1898 .
Old July 16, 2009, 01:06 PM   #91
neon

A lot of people need the extra rounds a semi and pump offer.

A real man has a single shot shotgun
Old July 16, 2009, 03:56 PM   #92
kurgen99

I have both.

I like autos better, but I got a pump for HD because racking the slide is supposed to be a very good warning to a potential opponent that they have stepped into the wrong house.
Old July 16, 2009, 04:51 PM   #93
johnbt

"And no greater fan of pumps has ever dropped a triple on a true covey flush....

I've shot pumps since Ike was Prez."

That was about the time my father, who is now 87, dropped 2 flying turkeys with 2 shots from a Winchester Model 12 20 ga. He said it was the two fastest shots he ever made because the birds would have been into the apple orchard and gone if he'd blinked once. Hi-brass #6 and practice. Up until a couple of years ago he could still outshoot me. Oh well.

John
Old July 17, 2009, 03:58 AM   #94
dakotashooter2

Cause semi's are for "girly men".
Old July 17, 2009, 04:25 AM   #95
Hawg

Quote:
I like autos better, but I got a pump for HD because racking the slide is supposed to be a very good warning to a potential opponent that they have stepped into the wrong house.
Won't be any warning if somebody comes in my house. If they've got good hearing they might hear a faint click before all holy hell breaks loose in their world.
Old July 17, 2009, 04:52 AM   #96
CajunBass

I've owned both. I prefer semi's, but don't own any right now, just a couple of pump guns. Mostly because they're cheaper. They're nothing fancy. One Mossberg 500 20, and a couple of old Sears Roebuck 12's.

I've had a pump jam on me once. I short shucked it, so it's an operator malfunction, not a gun failure.

I had three Remington 1100's at one time. Two standards and a magnum. I can't remember a single jam with any of the three. Killed a lot of doves and a few deer with them. They are a lot softer shooting, especially the magnum, but since I mostly use a shotgun for deer hunting, that's not really a big issue. For dove hunting it was.

I'd like to get another one, one day, but probably won't. The pump guns I've got will take care of my shotgunning needs.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 17, 2009, 06:09 AM   #97
wilson133

I grew up shooting pump shotguns, it is what I'm used to. The only thing I used shotguns for anymore is home defense and a have a few in various places. I can pick one up in the middle of the night and operate it without having to concentrate on the gun.
A semi auto might have advantages over a pump for someone starting out or with the inclination to learn it. I don't feel like spending the time and money to rearm and relearn my shotgun techniques.
Old July 17, 2009, 11:11 AM   #98
Lee Lapin

GREAT question.

I like pump shotguns because they are the quintessential American shotgun. Yes, there were slide action rifles in Europe before there were slide action shotguns in America. But from the Spencer pump (1883), to the Burgess (about 1885), to Browning's legendary Winchester Model 1893/1897, to Browning's much underappreciated (these days) Stevens Model 520/620 (first marketed in 1904), to the whole family of Remington pumps (Models 10, 17, 29, 31 and 870), Winchester Model 12, Ithaca Model 37, High Standard Flite King- the pump shotgun has been America's utility gun. It is the sporting gun of the ordinary working man who likes to hunt or bust clay pigeons. It's been the sidekick of the American serviceman since before the turn of the previous century. American lawmen have depended on them for generations.

They are common as dirt, unremarkable in almost every legal jurisdiction no matter how hoplophobic, inexpensive, reasonably easy to master, dependable and very capable in the defensive role in qualified hands. There's no better or more versatile firearms investment than a good pump shotgun with a spare barrel or two and a few accessories.

Pump shotguns are as American as red, white and blue. And I like 'em!

lpl

Last edited by Lee Lapin; July 17, 2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old July 17, 2009, 12:00 PM   #99
Cope's Dist

"A real man has a single shot shotgun"

I'm Not a "real man" but I have enjoyed teaching my son to shoot both of my single shot 12 guage shotguns. I figure the best way to learn is at home and at an early age. We also shoot .50 TC Muzzleloader, the AK-47, .22lr and just got a new 9mm Hi-Point to change it up a little bit. Haven't gotten brave enough/stupid enough to try shooting the Mosin Nagant at home though. Working here, I also get to shoot a lot of guns I wouldn't want my son to shoot yet. lol Geri @ Cope's
Old July 17, 2009, 04:05 PM   #100
Dave_Shotgun

I just ordered a pump action shotgun with a detachable magazine. I remember during my firearms training course, that they had guns with all the different types of actions (lever, break, bolt, pump and semi automatic). The most fun by far was the pump action shotgun. There's just something very satisfying about pumping the action on these guns that makes them so popular.