The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 8, 2017, 04:20 AM   #1
Liulfr

SVT40 vs. SKS

Which rifle is better and why do you think so? What would be the price/condition ratio I could expect to find out there on the online market? Pros and cons of each?

And lastly; which would you take to battle if given no other option?

Thanks

-Liu
Old June 8, 2017, 08:59 AM   #2
highpower3006

You are asking what is better an apple or an orange. They are two different rifles that sell for different prices. The SVT40 commonly sells for 3 times the money a SKS goes for. There are many SKS's from different countries and they will have different prices according to rarity and condition.

SVT40's were only made in the Soviet Union during WWII and there is a finite supply here in the US, while SKS's are common as dirt. The SKS shoots 7.62x39, vs 7.62x54r in the SVT40.

"Better" is a subjective term and what is "better" for me my not be "better" for you.

Last edited by highpower3006; June 8, 2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old June 8, 2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Fishbed77

Wildly different rifles. For most, the SVT-40 is a collector's rifle. The SKS is still common and inexpensive enough to be a tool (although that is changing).

I'm not taking any rifle into battle, but the SKS is the more robust and generally reliable design.
Old June 8, 2017, 03:00 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

This one is a 1942, and has no electro-pencil markings. I've had it for some time, and have put a few hundred rounds through it, NEVER any feeding problems.

Accurate? I've never bothered to group the gun on paper, but first round hits, offhand, on 2L pop bottles at 150meters, with crap chicom light ball surplus ammo tells me its accurate enough!

I am more than a bit shocked at the prices being demanded today. Saw two at recent shows, one for $1100 (quite beat up looking) and a better looking one, still not as good as mine, for $1400!

Simply put, the SVT 40 is a rifle, the SKS is a carbine. Shorter, handier, and in this case, less power and range.

The Germans captured enough SVTs, AND thought well enough of them to equip some entire units with them, manufacturing their own ammo and German manuals for them.

US troops encountered so many of them in Normandy that for a time, they were thought to be a German design!

They have a reputation for being a tad fragile, compared to the M1 Garand, and, apparently, the SKS, but if you aren't driving fence posts or trying to bash in the other guy's helmet, I don't think it matter a great deal.

and, just so you can grimace, I paid $125 for mine. Probably before some of you were born...
Old June 8, 2017, 03:55 PM   #5
highpower3006

Quote:
just so you can grimace, I paid $125 for mine. Probably before some of you were born...
If you were trying to make me feel bad, you succeeded.

I have to admit that I paid nearly ten times that for my SVT. But I will say that mine is nearly perfect although it is a refurb.

Old June 8, 2017, 07:23 PM   #6
Chainsaw.

Ugg! You guys are killing me! Such good lookimg rifles!
Old June 8, 2017, 07:32 PM   #7
jetinteriorguy

I remember the first time I saw an SKS. They had them at the Coast to Coast store, $65.00 or 3 for $175.00. I passed, they looked like total junk. I still won't buy one, $350.00-$450.00 is too much.
Old June 8, 2017, 09:09 PM   #8
highpower3006

Quote:
I remember the first time I saw an SKS. They had them at the Coast to Coast store, $65.00 or 3 for $175.00. I passed, they looked like total junk. I still won't buy one, $350.00-$450.00 is too much.

You really don't have a clue, due you?

All forged parts, chrome lined, hammer forged barrel, tough as nails and they keep running in spite of horrible abuse.

Yep, a real piece of junk............Not!

Last edited by highpower3006; June 8, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old June 8, 2017, 09:46 PM   #9
joeb

Selling my SKS was possibly my greatest regret. Accurate enough, tough as a rock, and completely reliable.
Old June 8, 2017, 10:42 PM   #10
Sequins

I had an SKS I bought in great condition for $400 back in 2013. It was a terrible shooter though and so I sold it on, I suspect it might have been "improved" by one of it's previous owners based on the removable magazine and the fact that it shot really, really badly.

I sold it on and don't really have much affection for the SKS. At current prices it's really just worse than a modern AK-47 in every single way.

The SVT-40 is a sweet collectors piece though.
Old June 9, 2017, 06:04 AM   #11
ttarp

Quote:
At current prices it's really just worse than a modern AK-47 in every single way.
Thats pretty subjective, just sayin.

Agree that SVT40 VS SKS is apples and oranges, if you want a shooter, get an SKS, if you want a collectable, get the SVT.
Old June 10, 2017, 03:36 AM   #12
armoredman

The SKS was obsolete when adopted, but it is one heck of a good solid design. Peasant proof in spades and able to put up with a lot of abuse IF left in original guise. Don't use those goofy duckbill detachable magazines, yuck. Get an SKS - they have been in more wars in more places than the SVT-40 and survive better. If I was sucked into Red Dawn and those two were my only options, I'd go with the SKS and a chest pouch FULL of stripper clips.
Old June 11, 2017, 01:34 AM   #13
bamaranger

basher

I am an SKS basher. Pros, once upon a time they were really cheap, and so was their ammo. If you got one back in those days, their shortcomings could be overlooked due to the cost.

Cons, that has changed. I'm with Sequins, today you might as well buy an AK, or an AR the way things are going. The SKS was a stop gap design, on the way to the AK in the 40's.
Speaking of shortcomings, that is one of my gripes, yeah, they say its a carbine, but put one next to an US M1 carbine, or an M4, or a M94 Win, and you realize it is not a true carbine. Compared to the SVT oMosin, Garand, or M98, yeah, but only in that light. Far to long and heavy for the cartridge it launches.
Old June 11, 2017, 08:58 AM   #14
Chainsaw.

Unless you have a paratrooper
Old June 11, 2017, 07:46 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
that is one of my gripes, yeah, they say its a carbine, but put one next to an US M1 carbine, or an M4, or a M94 Win, and you realize it is not a true carbine.
There's two different definitions generally used for "carbine" and then there's what ever you feel is a "true carbine".

One definition (the oldest) is essentially anything with a shorter barrel than the standard infantry service rifle of the day. This is how the Mauser 98k Carbine has a 25" barrel (24.9") and is still technically a carbine, because the standard Mauser infantry rifle (Gew 98) had a 29.1" barrel.

The other definition is primarily American slang, and refers to any rifle with approximately 20" barrel, or shorter.

My books says the SKS is about 40" long with a 20.5" barrel. Yes, its a couple inches longer than a Win 94 carbine, and an M16, but for most people here, the 20.5" barrel makes it a carbine, compared to the 22" or 24" of a standard rifle.

The US Govt, however calls things what ever they want, and to them, the 20" barrel M16 is a rifle, not a carbine.

So, I'd say the SKS is, or isn't a carbine, depending on where you set your standards.
Old June 12, 2017, 12:32 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

There is no 'better' between those two. Except that the SKS(very close to the same length as an M1 Rifle originally. Yugoslav M59/66 is a half inch longer.) was designed as a stop gap rifle to be issued to illiterate conscripts who could be taught to use it as fast as possible. Mind you, so was the SVT-40.
"...there is a finite supply..." Finite supply of SKS' too.
Gigantic difference in the capabilities in the cartridges though. The 7.62 x 54R will kill any game in North America. The 7.62 x 39 will not. It's marginal for deer sized game.
"...M16 is a rifle..." Was a carbine originally. Not made or designed for general issue to PBI troopies.
"...anything with a shorter barrel than the standard infantry service rifle..." To be issued to cavalry only. That stopped with the adoption of the No. 1 Lee-Enfield. Called a 'Short' for a reason. It was the length it stared out as so it could be issued to both the PBI and Cavalry.
"...once upon a time they were really cheap..." So were M1 Rifles, '03A3's and I've even heard of milsurp ammo for 'em. Not up here though. Issue with the SKS is the crappy sights and triggers. Not made or designed for accuracy anyway.
Old June 12, 2017, 03:03 PM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
"...M16 is a rifle..." Was a carbine originally.
Nope. The M16 was always a rifle; the original designation was Rifle, Caliber 5.56 mm, M16.
Old June 12, 2017, 04:42 PM   #18
Model12Win

The SVT-40 has better stopping power due to it's 7.62x54mmR cartridge, roughly doubling ballistics compared to the SKS.

However the SKS is simpler, lighter, more compact, easier to field strip, more durable, more reliable, and the cartridge is lighter yet better tailored to modern combat in an infantry rifle. Also keep in mind while the SVT-40 had detachable box magazines, they were meant to be fed from 5-round Mosin Nagant stripper clips and even the good ones... well they're not as good as the 10 round SKS clips and the rimless M43 cartridge, let's just say that. Also more ammunition can be carried for the SKS vs the SVT-40 for the same weight and bulk.

So, in the end, the SKS is the better combat rifle. The SVT-40 was an early mass adopted semi-auto rifle and it shows. The Soviets developed the SKS from lessons learned during WW2, and really while some say the SKS was "obsolete before it was adopted" I really don't think so. Keep in mind directly after the war most major and minor powers were still issuing bolt-action rifles as the main service rifle. The SKS really didn't fair badly at all until the early to mid 1950's when the select-fire battle rifles started being adopted, as well as intermediate power assault rifles such as the AK-47, after those two things happened the SKS was very much at a disadvantage but it was only adopted as a stop-gap measure as the Soviets were wary of the radical for the time AK-47 and wanted a simpler more traditional rifle to fall back on if the AK-47 project failed, and as we know, it certainly did not fail.

Today the SKS is totally overshadowed and obsolete, but that doesn't keep it out of the hands of soldiers to this day. Too many were adopted and it is still plenty lethal for ambush use and guerilla warfare. With practice it is also a solid civilian defense weapon. I enjoyed the four I had at one time but sold them all of for various reasons. I did have one Factory 26 Chinese military "French tickler" SKS that was in unissued condition that I absolutely should have held on to. Many consider that variety to be one of the best if not THE best Chinese SKS ever made. Very easily identified due to the wood-colored plastic upper handguard with characteristic bumps, reminiscent of the French tickler variety of sex toys.

Still have some 7.62x39mm in storage and a handful of stripper clips. I just wish SKS's were more obtainable, apparently they are rapidly becoming collectors items. About the only ones available on the newly-imported surplus market are the Yugo M56/66s with the grenade launcher. I owned one for a while and found it way muzzle heavy and excessively long. The grenade launcher seems cool until you realize you can't buy 22mm rifle grenades at Wal-Mart or Bass Pro, then it starts to become a well-machined paper weight stuck to the worst part of the weapon.

I still have fond memories of taking my SKSs down to the creek and blasting anything and everything (that was safe to) in sights and reloading on the move with stripper clips and surplus ammo pouches. They are good guns, and if anyone is on the fence, you need to get one now before they get very expensive in the coming years which I fear they will.
Old June 14, 2017, 09:36 AM   #19
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Today the SKS is totally overshadowed and obsolete, but that doesn't keep it out of the hands of soldiers to this day. Too many were adopted and it is still plenty lethal for ambush use and guerilla warfare. With practice it is also a solid civilian defense weapon. I enjoyed the four I had at one time but sold them all of for various reasons. I did have one Factory 26 Chinese military "French tickler" SKS that was in unissued condition that I absolutely should have held on to. Many consider that variety to be one of the best if not THE best Chinese SKS ever made. Very easily identified due to the wood-colored plastic upper handguard with characteristic bumps, reminiscent of the French tickler variety of sex toys.

Still have some 7.62x39mm in storage and a handful of stripper clips. I just wish SKS's were more obtainable, apparently they are rapidly becoming collectors items. About the only ones available on the newly-imported surplus market are the Yugo M56/66s with the grenade launcher. I owned one for a while and found it way muzzle heavy and excessively long. The grenade launcher seems cool until you realize you can't buy 22mm rifle grenades at Wal-Mart or Bass Pro, then it starts to become a well-machined paper weight stuck to the worst part of the weapon.

I still have fond memories of taking my SKSs down to the creek and blasting anything and everything (that was safe to) in sights and reloading on the move with stripper clips and surplus ammo pouches. They are good guns, and if anyone is on the fence, you need to get one now before they get very expensive in the coming years which I fear they will.
I recently picked up a Norinco SKS in a local fun shop for $250.00. It has an aftermarket plastic stock that I don't care for, and came with the detachable magazine. I bought and installed the original magazine for fairly cheap, and will get an original style stock soon. It is a blast to shoot. I like it more than my AK.
Old June 14, 2017, 11:03 AM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The 7.62 x 54R will kill any game in North America. The 7.62 x 39 will not. It's marginal for deer sized game.
While I'm not a fan of the 7.62x39 round, I do have to disagree with your opinion of its capabilities. It absolutely WILL KILL any game in North America.
Provided the shooter does their part correctly. (like any other rifle)

It fires a bullet of about 130gr (and pointed) at about the speed of a 30-30's flat point 150gr. Used within the limitations imposed by the common guns in the caliber, its not "marginal", in my opinion.

Is it the best tool for every job? An unqualified, "NO". Will it work acceptably well within its limits? I'd say "yes".

The SKS proved to be a more successful military rifle than the SVT 40. In part, because military requirements changed in the time between design and fielding of the SVT and the SKS. later designs, taking advantage of being able to see how previous designs perform in the field, usually are some degree of improvement. Usually. There are exceptions.

Tags
sks , svt40