The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 5, 2012, 06:32 PM   #51
SIGSHR

I boycott ANY and ALL businesses that do not recognize MY 2nd Amendment rights. If that Autozone employee had been killed-or badly injured, perhaps for life-would AutoZone be concerned with his well-being?
Old December 5, 2012, 07:07 PM   #52
Dr Big Bird PhD

I dare say that if someone was harmed during the incident, then autozone might have sued the employee for "instigating violence"
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 5, 2012, 07:59 PM   #53
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I boycott ANY and ALL businesses that do not recognize MY 2nd Amendment rights.
How do you know who does? Sure, some folks have signs banning carry, but there are others who simply haven't posted yet.

Then there are the ones who couldn't care less about the RKBA (or might even be hostile) but don't have the inclination to be too public about it. Just because my local widget store doesn't ban carry doesn't mean they don't support anti-gun organizations.

Or, how about a company that does business with other companies who don't recognize the RKBA? What if it turns out the bank holding my mortgage gave money to an anti-gun politician's last campaign?

The idea of boycotting every business that doesn't support us seems satisfying in theory, but it would be an unworkable nightmare in practice.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:31 PM   #54
GreaseMonkey4Hire

Quote:
Same here Old Grump.
Just too many other auto parts places to do bus. with.
Could you show an example of an auto parts store that does allow their employees to be armed? Never heard of bumper to bumper, but I do know that Oreilly's and Car Quest, the two major competitors of Auto Zone in my area, have similar policies. I'm not defending their actions by any means, and I have expressed my distaste on multiple occasions, to no avail.

Its not the action of the firing of the employee that I disagree with, its the policy they have in place that bothers me.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:34 PM   #55
jasmith85

Quote:
The idea of boycotting every business that doesn't support us seems satisfying in theory, but it would be an unworkable nightmare in practice.
This is very true. The company that I work for makes all new employees sign an agreement saying that we understand that if we are caught with any type of firearm on company property that we will be fired. People can feel free to boycott the company but if you do I hope you don't hunt. The company handles all online and telephone sales for hunting and fishing licenses as well as running the system for stores that sell licenses in more than half of the United States as well as part of Canada.
Old December 6, 2012, 05:18 AM   #56
iraiam

I quit using Auto Zone years ago, but not for any political reason, purely a business descision.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 6, 2012, 05:55 AM   #57
hardworker

I'd be willing to bet that most of the people who condemn Autozone and other companies for not letting their employees carry would do the same thing if they ever owned a business and were forced to hire people they didn't know. It's just CYA.

I have no idea who the people I'm hiring are, their competence with a gun, or how level-headed they are. Why would I, as the man that could end up going to court or jail over this person, not care if they have a gun with them on my time? I can't allow one and not the other or I'd get accused of discrimination.

As gun owners, we have to abide by the same rules as anyone else. We're not an elite class. The point of a business is to make money, not flip off the man by allowing my employees to carry and do whatever they want.