The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 30, 2020, 11:51 AM   #51
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg7 View Post
A steel core belt solves my CC issues.

it took a bit of getting used to but now my Shield9 (OWB) is a joy to carry and a G23(OWB) is doable for at least 6hrs at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For a gun to be a "carry gun", you need to be able to carry it all day. That includes long days and difficult days. Being out and about, you might not be in a position to take it off and leave it.

I know this situation very well from shoulder carry. Am I too hot? Do I want to take off my cover garment? Not an option. So plan ahead. Once you step out of your house, you are committed to your choice of carry.
Old January 30, 2020, 12:33 PM   #52
peterg7

Can’t find a comfortable carry solution for OWB carry.

Yes but I’m retired so I don’t need to put in a long day, I carry every time I leave the house and while at home I pocket carry.

I find the Shield9 a suitable choice for running to town for shopping, my G23 is my church security gun and most Sundays I put it on at 7:00 and take it off when I get home about 1:00pm

I believe in KISS for CC, that means a level 1 retention kydex OWB holster and on rare occasions a leather IWB.

There’s a lot of gimmicks being marketed to gun guys who struggle with carry and that’s why it seems the popular belief of a box full of holsters is the norm.

Not me I buy 2 holsters per carry gun, OWB, IWB money is better spent on a good leather/steel belt than gimmicks.

Last edited by peterg7; January 30, 2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old February 16, 2020, 10:34 AM   #53
azretired

I spent the last 15 years of my LE career as a Detective and carried concealed daily a SIG P220, .45 ACP, which is not small. I used an EL Paso Saddlery "Street Combat. This is an extremely well made pancake holster that is still well under $100. For a belt I used either a 1.5 inch Helweg stitched leather (black) or a Bianchi 1.5 inch Stitched leather belt (brown). I still use both and they are both over 25 years old.
In retirement now, I carry a 642 either in my RF Pocket (preferred) or in a JIT on my belt at 3 o'clock. If I take a long trip in my car I use an upside down shoulder holster.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:03 AM   #54
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by azretired View Post
I spent the last 15 years of my LE career as a Detective and carried concealed daily a SIG P220, .45 ACP, which is not small. I used an EL Paso Saddlery "Street Combat. This is an extremely well made pancake holster that is still well under $100. For a belt I used either a 1.5 inch Helweg stitched leather (black) or a Bianchi 1.5 inch Stitched leather belt (brown). I still use both and they are both over 25 years old.
In retirement now, I carry a 642 either in my RF Pocket (preferred) or in a JIT on my belt at 3 o'clock. If I take a long trip in my car I use an upside down shoulder holster.

Forgive me, I’m just now seeing that there was two more responses to this thread but anywhoo to give an update, I think I’m just pretty much to the conclusion that with any belt to just even hold my pants up, I just don’t have the right body shape or something because just to even use a regular belt I still have to have it excessively tight in my opinion so as soon as it comes in, I bought an elastic webbing belt that’s real similar to the slide buckle as my Grip6 belt just to see if I can still have a belt pretty tight but something that’s going to actually move with my body when I go from standing up to sitting down or vice a versa. So with that said, I don’t really think there is a traditional belt out there that would do me any good for any case because I just simply have to have it too uncomfortably tight to do what it supposed to and is just too uncomfortable.

When winter time comes back around I can still wear either my kore essentials slide gun belt or maybe even my Volund gearworks gun belt with my dress jeans I wear casually because I won’t be sitting down all day long like when I’m at work sitting at this truck for upwards of 12 hours at a time. But when I’m at work, I’m afraid that my only choice to comfortably carry my pistol is in the pocket holster.

Old May 28, 2020, 01:50 PM   #55
JERRYS.

if a belt isn't doing the job of holding your pants up, why not add suspenders?
Old May 28, 2020, 04:53 PM   #56
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
if a belt isn't doing the job of holding your pants up, why not add suspenders?

Well, that certainly may be the direction I’m headed if the new elastic belt I bought doesn’t keep me comfortable being cinched down tight enough to hold my pants up.

Old May 28, 2020, 10:01 PM   #57
Skippy

I agree, suspenders are the way to go, especially if your belly is bigger than your hips and butt. I don't see how an elastic belt will ever keep your pants up while packing OWB or IWB or even pocket carry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 28, 2020, 10:45 PM   #58
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I agree, suspenders are the way to go, especially if your belly is bigger than your hips and butt. I don't see how an elastic belt will ever keep your pants up while packing OWB or IWB or even pocket carry.

The elastic belt is just hopefully to cure the the issue I have even when I’m not carrying. I wouldn’t dare use an elastic belt for OWB carry. As far as pocket carry, that’s no different from anything else that’s in my pockets- wallet, pocket knife.... cell phone.

Old May 29, 2020, 03:47 PM   #59
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
The elastic belt is just hopefully to cure the the issue I have even when I’m not carrying. I wouldn’t dare use an elastic belt for OWB carry. As far as pocket carry, that’s no different from anything else that’s in my pockets- wallet, pocket knife.... cell phone.

Gotcha. Adding a loaded pistol to the pockets would certainly weigh more the the other stuff. As an avowed suspenders-wearer with a bigger gut than hips/butt I highly recommend them, the Dickies brand that hook under a good gun belt.

I don't have to cinch the belt to keep my drawers up and comfortable over a tank undershirt and under whatever shirt I wear. I don't tuck my outer shirts in anyway, so no problem there. I always carry IWB but should be just as doable with OWB. I carried a 1911 that way for years and now pack an HK VP9 or snub revolver; occasionally but rarely, a Browning Hi Power

Old June 7, 2020, 07:42 AM   #60
peacefulgary

Try this...

Stop wearing a belt.
You're a trucker.
Again, stop wearing a belt.

Wear suspenders to keep your pants up.

As for the handgun...
Wear an elastic and velcro Belly-band under the suspenders.
But don't wear it at your waist, wear it just above your gut or "love handles".
Not too tight, nor too loose, just let it rest on your belly.

In warm weather just wear a t-shirt over the suspenders and belly-band, which is still fairly quick to get to your handgun.
And in cold weather, wear the suspenders and belly-band OVER your shirt and thermals, but UNDER your jacket.
That way you don't have to reach under additional layers of clothing to get to your handgun.

Not recommending this company or suggesting their products, but just as an example of what I'm talking about...

https://www.daltechforce.com/collect...MaAqQZEALw_wcB