The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 8, 2020, 10:47 PM   #26
scorpion_tyr

I have the same issue with the belt having to be very tight when I carry IWB.

Have you considered a shoulder holster? Not my favorite way of carrying and not sure if your location allows it, but I used a shoulder holster for quite a few years when I had to and while it had certain drawbacks it was at least comfortable.
Old January 9, 2020, 05:15 AM   #27
Brit

Frequent Flier Wilderness belt, 1.5", used it for years, still looks like new. Kydex holster.
Sometimes use suspenders, that hook on to the belt. Tee shirt undershirt, with a sweater when it's cold. Guyabara Florida shirt, when it's warm. About 3-30 position.
Played with the 43X ten shot magazine Glock for a while, but went back to my Glock19.
Nice comfort zone 16 rounds. Spare G17 mag on the offside.
511s love all those pockets. Worn them for 40 years. At one time those pants cried Cop, which I am not. Or a Firearms Instructor, which I am. Now they are worn in some form all over the world. In Europe they just say, Yank. Which I now am.
Old January 9, 2020, 09:22 AM   #28
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnold4this View Post
My 342 weighs 12 oz loaded with aftermarket grips. An LC9s weighs about 20oz loaded.

I carried a Ruger LC9S for the better part of three years and even though it’s only 17 ounces completely empty, I think mine was pushing closer to 23-24 ounces because I carried it with the 9-round extended magazine and a Crimson Trace trigger guard laser. But, I never carried it outside the waistband. It got carried inside the waistband in either an Alien Gear cloak tuck holster or a crossbreed super tuck horse hide holster which both weren’t the most comfortable because I had to cinch the belt down almost as tight to hold everything up. But, that was also done with junky gun belts that were about as stiff as a regular leather dress belt. I never tried that configuration with a much stiffer belt.

I’m just wondering how these guys with similar builds as me are able to carry full-size 1911’s ad such in much more comfort as I’m experiencing. Maybe they’re not sitting all day like I am....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 11, 2020, 04:58 PM   #29
Bottom Gun

I’ve used a number of different brands and styles over the years. I’ve settled on the Kramer Scabbard holsters as being the most comfortable. (I carry mostly full size pistols.)
I would recommend the horsehide. They are incredibly tough.

https://www.kramerleather.com/collec.../belt-scabbard

They aren’t the cheapest holsters made but, in my opinion, they are the best and most comfortable.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old January 13, 2020, 09:29 AM   #30
corneileous

Well, today’s the first day officially going back to OWB carry with my new belt. It’s still too early to tell since the day’s far from over but, this belt seems to be a little more forgiving than the Volund belt. It’s still pretty stiff, a lot more than the Alien Gear leather belt and the Crossbreed Executive leather belt I was using a long time ago, but it’s not as stiff as the Volund.

I hope this one works out since it’s a lot easier to loosen than the one I was using before. I’m also wearing my holster a little further back, too. Before, I was wearing it centered over the 3 o’clock belt loop, now the front belt loop of the holster is just behind the same belt loop on my pants.

Old January 15, 2020, 09:32 AM   #31
rodfac

Quote:
If I am going to sit for a bit while driving, I will loosen the belt a notch if needed then tighten it up when I get out of the truck. I have also been thinking about getting some sort of holster to mount in the truck while driving. Getting to my pistol while sitting with a seat belt on would definitely be an issue if it was needed in a hurry.
Good advice from AFK.

I make my own holsters according to use, and have intended to make up an SUV/Jeep/Pickup Truck holster that accomplishes the above goal. Years ago, like over 40 years to be exact, one of my uncles had a holster strapped to his car & truck's steering column...that's back when cars had a steering column. It worked for him, but both he and the column are long gone now.

Considering the problem, I've toyed with a design that would rivet or velcro to the underside of the dash...but as of now, at least in my Ranger pickup, I wedge my open top holster down between the halves of the bench type seat. Works well and avoids all that monkey motion trying to make a draw from my usual 4 o'clock carry position. The down side is, I have to wrestle with re-attaching it to my belt before leaving the truck....I've had some odd looks from folks who caught a peek at my contortions in our Wally World parking lot.

A dedicated, semi-permanent holster might work on our Grand Cherokee and my Wrangler if attached (velcro maybe) between the bucket seat and the center tunnel, just forward of the seat belt attach point. In use, I'd leave it there, and wear my usual OWB on my belt.

The downside, of course, for a commercial maker would be applicability across the many makes and models of cars & trucks.

YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 15, 2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old January 15, 2020, 10:01 AM   #32
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
Good advice from AFK.

I make my own holsters according to use, and have intended to make up an SUV/Jeep/Pickup Truck holster that accomplishes the above goal. Years ago, like over 40 years to be exact, one of my uncles had a holster strapped to his steering column...that's back when cars had a steering column.

Considering the problem, I'm toying with a design that would rivet to the underside of the dash...just some idle thoughts here...as of now, at least in my Ranger pickup, I wedge my open top holster down between the halves of the bench type seat. Works well and avoids all that monkey motion trying to make a draw from my usual 4 o'clock carry position.

Something similar might work on our Grand Cherokee and my Wrangler if attached (velcro maybe) between the bucket seat and the center tunnel, forward of the seat belt attach point. The downside for a commercial maker would be applicability across the many makes and models of cars & trucks.

YMMv Rod

In my pickup, I’ve got a special holster I got from Gum Creek that is specifically made for a center console. When I go on long trips, the gun that I keep in my safe goes in that holster.

During the midst of all this searching for a comfortable carry solution on my person for when I’m at work, I did put a little bit of thought to that at first about just going that route initially, instead of trying to find a comfortable carry solution that worked for both while in and out of the truck.

I may just continue carrying my Springfield the way that I have, since this new belt seems to help with its much easier adjustability, and focus on looking at ideas for mounting a holster in this semi for one of my other PX4’s that stays in my backpack- err, man purse that carries my Garmin, charge cords, Bluetooth headsets, and my other gear I use on the truck.

Old January 15, 2020, 11:45 AM   #33
1MoreFord

OP, if you feel belt stiffness is part of your problem let me suggest BigFoot Gunbelts 14oz steel lined belt. https://gunbelts.com/

If you feel the need to try some suspenders then look at Perry Suspenders or Dickies version of them.

https://www.perrysuspenders.com/
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Genuine-D...ender/25572481
Old January 15, 2020, 12:02 PM   #34
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
OP, if you feel belt stiffness is part of your problem let me suggest BigFoot Gunbelts 14oz steel lined belt. https://gunbelts.com/

I’m not really sure stiffness is my problem, though. I mean well, the floppyness of my other two belts was enough proof that they were no where near stiff enough but, in my quest to find the perfect belt, I have been told that stiffer, isn’t always the answer. I think my two new belts are plenty stiff enough but, I still consider it strange that I still have to cinch them up fairly tight just to hold my pants up. But, I’ve about come to the conclusion that unless I can lose a lot of this spare tire of mine, that no belt is going to be comfortable when you have to sit down for long periods of time. I will admit that at the beginning of the day when my belly isn’t sore that the tightness I need when standing, is actually pretty comfortable, it’s just that after more than a few hours of sitting without loosening the belt, is when fatigue starts to set in.

Old January 19, 2020, 06:44 AM   #35
1goodshot

I have a body like Hank Hill, gut and no ass. My pants tend to fall down so ill probably have to get suspenders
Old January 19, 2020, 06:58 AM   #36
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1goodshot View Post
I have a body like Hank Hill, gut and no ass. My pants tend to fall down so ill probably have to get suspenders
You speak as though it were a bad thing. I can attest that it is not. You'll never have to continually hitch up your pants again, you'll not have to cinch your belt so tight it hurts your kidneys and lower back and suspenders really help support the weight of the gun. As mentioned before, I wear them over a wife-beater type undershirt and an untucked t-shirt or button up shirt over that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 19, 2020, 04:05 PM   #37
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
You speak as though it were a bad thing. I can attest that it is not. You'll never have to continually hitch up your pants again, you'll not have to cinch your belt so tight it hurts your kidneys and lower back and suspenders really help support the weight of the gun. As mentioned before, I wear them over a wife-beater type undershirt and an untucked t-shirt or button up shirt over that.

My new Kore belt works out much better than the old Volund belt and I think it’s primarily because of what I was originally thinking which, is because of the ability to easily losers it while driving. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that no matter what belt I use, it’s gonna have to get cinched down to hold everything up. I mean, I just feel there’s really no other option I guess, instead of doing what you do which I guess I didn’t fully pick up on about putting a tshirt on over your spenders.

Old January 21, 2020, 03:40 AM   #38
moose fat

Or, an Andrews Leather "Carjacker". Its like a small of the back holster that is worn in front, specifically for driving. I have one I use snow machining. It fits inside my front pocket inside my atkuq, Eskimo parka. Very handy, a very nice holster, well made and comfortable holster. I can wear it under a hoodie and it just looks like I have something in the front pocket. Its for my Glock 36.
Old January 21, 2020, 03:52 AM   #39
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose fat View Post
Or, an Andrews Leather "Carjacker". Its like a small of the back holster that is worn in front, specifically for driving. I have one I use snow machining. It fits inside my front pocket inside my atkuq, Eskimo parka. Very handy, a very nice holster, well made and comfortable holster. I can wear it under a hoodie and it just looks like I have something in the front pocket. Its for my Glock 36.

I like that. I also like how easy it comes on and off the belt, two. Only bad thing is, I would have problems concealing that unless it was a cold day, and it could be kept covered with a hoodie jacket or something like you do but on a hot day, or even a not so cold winter day, I wonder if my extra long tailed t-shirts would cover that.... I guess it would depend on how much it prints, a little printing is fine as long as it’s covered.

I wonder if that holster can be made custom fit for a picatinny rail laser....

Old January 21, 2020, 11:40 AM   #40
pete2

Big belly, no butt. I've about given in to wearing suspenders. Plain old elastic suspenders work fine with IWB carry with a 642, No belt. Otherwise I pocket carry.
Old January 24, 2020, 01:07 AM   #41
Cosmodragoon

I use a ratchet belt. It's basically a leather belt with a smaller kydex belt inside it. So it's a little stiffer, a little sturdier, and still looks like a regular belt. What makes it so great is being able to quickly and easily select the retention point. The little stops on the kydex are very close together and lock securely. It's not just that you can get a more exact fit off the bat. It's that you can make tiny adjustments as needed. Whether you're really full or you skipped lunch, or whatever else you have going on, when your body changes a little you can match it with ease.

Here's something else we don't always talk about. Being a bigger guy can change how you wear clothes, much less guns. Notice the discussion of having to cinch a belt very tightly to get it to work and how that's not entirely comfortable. They've fallen a little out of favor but once upon a time, it was common for a bigger guy to wear suspenders instead of a belt. While it might be fashion faux pas, you can wear both for the sake of concealed carry. The suspenders will allow you to relax the belt a little. It becomes more about holding the gun than holding up your pants or keeping to just the right spot on your waist. Since you'll probably be wearing a cover garment anyway, there are types of suspenders than can be worn a layer down.

If you're in a position to wear the right cover garment all the time, you might consider shoulder carry. Some shoulder rigs anchor to the belt line and act as de facto suspenders.
Old January 24, 2020, 06:26 AM   #42
shurshot

To get around my additional girth, I just wear pant 1 size larger and carry IWB (Uberti 4.75 El Patron .45 Colt). Half the time I forget I'm wearing it. Also carried my S&W 586 4" in the same manner.
Old January 25, 2020, 08:23 AM   #43
Road_Clam

The skinny guy chiming in here also. I'm currently in "trial and error" mode. I'm somewhat new to CC. I'm currently accessing carrying my Beretta Nano IWB appendix. I have a N82 Tactical Pro IWB padded holster and while it is very comfortable overall, the downside is it feels very bulky.

https://n82tactical.com/product/professional-holster/

I also have a simple and inexpensive kydex IWB and it's "ok" as far as comfort but do get that uncomfortable "edgy" irritation feeling with certain body movements. IWB appendix offers me excellent concealability , but with my very thin build i'm realizing this is a very challenging task. Now I know why there is a bazillion used holsters for sale on all the forums. You buy them basically blind, you realize they are uncomfortable and sell them off. I'm now looking to OWB as an alternate. I'm thinking a Winthrop leather pancake style :

https://www.winthropholsters.com/pan...band-holsters/

I've thought about 3:00 IWB carry but again with my very thin build I about guarantee I will probably feel much discomfort.
Old January 26, 2020, 01:42 PM   #44
WyMark

I'm a little on the "fluffy" side as well, and cinching my belt tight enough to keep my pants up while carrying was causing too much pain and discomfort. So I picked up a set of Carhartt 2" wide suspenders and end of problem. I wear an undershirt under an untucked t-shirt or polo anyway, so they work well for me. I carry OWB at 3:00, and with the suspenders I can carry heavier guns like my .327 SP101 with no droop.

https://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Mens...4-135149aa9081
Old January 27, 2020, 12:00 PM   #45
corneileous

Well I dunno y’all, I think I’m about pretty much to the conclusion that because I sit all day every day that, no matter what gun I carry, what belt I use or what OWB holster I use to carry it in, that nothing’s going to work comfortably unless I “A”, lose a bunch of my gut, or slap on a set of suspenders between two shirts, or resort to wearing two shirts for a shoulder holster, or only OWB carry the way that I have been, but with something that’s as light as my little Pug 22 magnum revolver from North American Arms because between a new gun, new holster and two new gun belts, this just ain’t workin.

So, I’m thinking I’m just gonna go back to pocket carrying the Springfield in the front hip pocket of my cargo pants for when I’m at work, and probably get one of those magnetic gun mounts for any of my other full-size guns to get mounted to the underneath of my dash in my work truck, and just call it a day.

The whole reason of this thread was to hopefully find a comfortable, yet best feasible and easily accessible solution to carry my gun when I’m at work in my semi all day; not only for when I’m standing in line in the convenient store trying to pay for the diesel I just pumped in my truck, but for also when I’m sitting down all day in the cab and I all of the sudden have to defend myself from somebody trying to carjack me.

I thought I could take out two birds with one stone and just carry one gun concealed outside the waistband that would cover both in and out of the truck but comfortability is being an issue that’s preventing it so, I feel this is my only option. Thanks for everybody’s help and suggestions.

Old January 27, 2020, 09:26 PM   #46
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
Well I dunno y’all, I think I’m about pretty much to the conclusion that because I sit all day every day that, no matter what gun I carry, what belt I use or what OWB holster I use to carry it in, that nothing’s going to work comfortably...

So, I’m thinking I’m just gonna go back to pocket carrying the Springfield in the front hip pocket of my cargo pants for when I’m at work, and probably get one of those magnetic gun mounts for any of my other full-size guns to get mounted to the underneath of my dash in my work truck, and just call it a day.

The whole reason of this thread was to hopefully find a comfortable, yet best feasible and easily accessible solution to carry my gun when I’m at work in my semi all day; not only for when I’m standing in line in the convenient store trying to pay for the diesel I just pumped in my truck, but for also when I’m sitting down all day in the cab and I all of the sudden have to defend myself from somebody trying to carjack me. ...
You seem discouraged. Don't be. Finding the right carry solution can take a lot of work. A lot of us have faced this challenge. There's a reason we sometimes joke about "the holster box" at the back of the closet.

Here are some things to consider based on what you've said:

Pocket carry is quick and convenient. I carry an LCR that way a lot of the time. The real trouble with this, besides using up a pocket, is that it's hard to draw while seated. It sounds like a big issue for you is being seated, probably with a seat belt in an enclosed space. Belt holsters, IWB and OWB can also pose challenges drawing from a seated position. (Practice some defensive drills from your usual spots, drawing with an unloaded gun.)

Shoulder carry can be comfortable, avoids the belt issue, and is generally the easiest to draw from a seated/enclosed position. The only issue for this one is the absolute need to keep on your cover garment. You mention using a second shirt but in my experience, cover garments for shoulder carry should be a bit thicker, stiffer, or otherwise able to break up possible printing. I've done it with a blazer, suit jacket, leather jacket, canvas jacket (field coat), heavy or padded flannel, and even a thick cardigan sweater. You'd just need to try it and see what you need for your body. (I definitely recommend vertical over horizontal for shoulder carry.) Practice carrying over a weekend or something and have your wife, friend, etc. watch for excessive printing.

Generally, I don't like those little single action revolvers in rimfire for self defense. They can work but they present their own challenges and leave a lot to be desired. If none of the other options discussed here sound good, try a high-rise OWB pancake holster for a compact 9mm (or .380 if need be). The side anchor points on that type of holster distribute weight nicely and they keep more of the gun up above the belt line. You'll still need a cover garment but this method could be more forgiving than shoulder carry. Lots of companies make this style of OWB holster but the Galco Fletch is a popular example.

Just be patient and try different things. Having a secondary full-sized firearm in the truck isn't a terrible idea but there are challenges with that too. Having a good firearm on your person should be the main goal. I hope this helps. I look forward to updates.
Old January 27, 2020, 11:14 PM   #47
Skippy

Sometimes in life we just have to put up with inconveniences and a little discomfort to do what must be done (like going to the gym).

There's little chance you'll find a way to pack a gat that you won't notice, especially at first. Obviously, you don't want other people to notice, but face it - you are going to feel it. But after awhile it kinda goes away.

I get the "comfortable" issue. But try the solution closest to "comfortable" for a few months and don't spend a lot of pesos on methods/holsters/body locations every few weeks.

You'll be surprised how it'll become the new normal if you just stick to something that works. And by "works" I mean quickest access, concealability, and a pistola you are *intimately* familiar with in a caliber that will get the job done when the fat is in the fire.

I've become so accustomed to having a gun on my hip (IWB for me, your milage and geography may vary) that I notice when it's NOT there.

If you need it, you'll need it NOW without having to think, "Now, where did I put my gun today?"

Just my 2¢...

PS: I wear suspenders.

Last edited by Skippy; January 27, 2020 at 11:37 PM.
Old January 28, 2020, 08:35 AM   #48
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
You seem discouraged. Don't be. Finding the right carry solution can take a lot of work. A lot of us have faced this challenge. There's a reason we sometimes joke about "the holster box" at the back of the closet.

Here are some things to consider based on what you've said:

Pocket carry is quick and convenient. I carry an LCR that way a lot of the time. The real trouble with this, besides using up a pocket, is that it's hard to draw while seated. It sounds like a big issue for you is being seated, probably with a seat belt in an enclosed space. Belt holsters, IWB and OWB can also pose challenges drawing from a seated position. (Practice some defensive drills from your usual spots, drawing with an unloaded gun.)

Shoulder carry can be comfortable, avoids the belt issue, and is generally the easiest to draw from a seated/enclosed position. The only issue for this one is the absolute need to keep on your cover garment. You mention using a second shirt but in my experience, cover garments for shoulder carry should be a bit thicker, stiffer, or otherwise able to break up possible printing. I've done it with a blazer, suit jacket, leather jacket, canvas jacket (field coat), heavy or padded flannel, and even a thick cardigan sweater. You'd just need to try it and see what you need for your body. (I definitely recommend vertical over horizontal for shoulder carry.) Practice carrying over a weekend or something and have your wife, friend, etc. watch for excessive printing.

Generally, I don't like those little single action revolvers in rimfire for self defense. They can work but they present their own challenges and leave a lot to be desired. If none of the other options discussed here sound good, try a high-rise OWB pancake holster for a compact 9mm (or .380 if need be). The side anchor points on that type of holster distribute weight nicely and they keep more of the gun up above the belt line. You'll still need a cover garment but this method could be more forgiving than shoulder carry. Lots of companies make this style of OWB holster but the Galco Fletch is a popular example.

Just be patient and try different things. Having a secondary full-sized firearm in the truck isn't a terrible idea but there are challenges with that too. Having a good firearm on your person should be the main goal. I hope this helps. I look forward to updates.

Not really discouraged, just don’t know really what other options there are except suspenders or over the shoulder pistol holder. Lol.

But yeah, I’ve already got quite the collection of holsters.

And I know pocket carry isn’t preferred especially while seated but that’s why I have the other pistol that stays in my backpack that can easily be transferred from the backpack to one of those little magnetic gun mount things that I’m thinking about buying.

Old January 28, 2020, 08:44 AM   #49
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Sometimes in life we just have to put up with inconveniences and a little discomfort to do what must be done (like going to the gym).

There's little chance you'll find a way to pack a gat that you won't notice, especially at first. Obviously, you don't want other people to notice, but face it - you are going to feel it. But after awhile it kinda goes away.

I get the "comfortable" issue. But try the solution closest to "comfortable" for a few months and don't spend a lot of pesos on methods/holsters/body locations every few weeks.

You'll be surprised how it'll become the new normal if you just stick to something that works. And by "works" I mean quickest access, concealability, and a pistola you are *intimately* familiar with in a caliber that will get the job done when the fat is in the fire.

I've become so accustomed to having a gun on my hip (IWB for me, your milage and geography may vary) that I notice when it's NOT there.

If you need it, you'll need it NOW without having to think, "Now, where did I put my gun today?"

Just my 2¢...

PS: I wear suspenders.

Put up with what inconveniences, the fact that with a set of suspenders, or even a shoulder carry harness having to wear basically two shirts? Yeah, that’ll be real nice down here once the summertime hits and that Oklahoma humidity sets in…and to add even further into it, that even doesn’t really sit well considering the fact that I am a hot natured person as it is, and the fact that I grew up tmost of my life in southwestern Colorado so, even after 6 years here, I can’t take this heat down here, I still ain’t no where near adapted to this heat yet. I mean hell, if my boss would let me, I’d be wearing shorts and flip-flops every day but I can’t… LOL.

Old January 29, 2020, 02:26 PM   #50
peterg7

A steel core belt solves my CC issues.

it took a bit of getting used to but now my Shield9 (OWB) is a joy to carry and a G23(OWB) is doable for at least 6hrs at a time.