The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 10, 2019, 08:13 PM   #1
stagpanther

Savage 110 LRH 338 LM and new Leupold 5HD 7x 35 w 60 MOA impact reticle

Bought the rifle this winter and so far have been very impressed with savage's execution. very adjustable, lightweight compared to the tactical space guns, and most of all soft recoiling pussycat for a very powerful cartridge. I've had a night force SHV on top, a Nikon black 1000 and even briefly an IOR valdada terminator.

Recently I decided to splurge and buy a new model of Leupold's 5HD ffp zero-stop side focus with their 60 MOA impact reticle. So far, it's proving to be one of the best scopes I've ever used, though I have to admit I'm only now getting past the load development stage and am soon ready to test tracking; and unfortunately will have to do some searching to find a place where I can reach out in range. If you're an experienced long range shooter I know what you're thinking--so what, right? I've never seen as much "short range prejudice" against the use of any cartridge as I have with the 338 Lapua Magnum.

The 5HD is noticeably lighter than other high power scopes I've tried--though I have to admit I don't have a whole lot of experience with top-tier scopes. The glass is fabulously clear all the way to the edge of the glass at all magnifications, and has an ever-so-slight whiteish cast which I'm guessing is the result of their multiple coatings but IMO more than worth the tradeoff in maintaining clarity through all magnifications. If you have the chance to look through one at a store or range do it--the way it scales the reticle at all powers is really quite slick--it's so good even at lower powers I think it's a disadvantage to "use the crutch" of higher power at closer range as I often do with all my other higher magnification scopes.

Here's my second go at finding a good load with hornady's 285 eldm so I can do some tracking tests on the scope. Yesterday I discovered 87.5 grs of H1000 was pretty good at 100, so I bracketed it +/- .2 grs and found that these were good as well, so I think I'm good to go to do the tall target tracking test. Unfortunately I nudged my portable shooting table and blew the flier in this group, but it otherwise has pretty good numbers and consistency.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7x35-loopy.jpg (60.2 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg 338lapua 285eldm 87.7 H1000.jpg (237.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg labradar 338 lapua 285 eldm 87.7 H1000.jpg (83.9 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; June 10, 2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old June 12, 2019, 11:11 AM   #2
PlatinumCore16

Gorgeous. I also went with a 110 tactical, but in 308. I completely agree with you on the stock and adjustability. Mine has been shooting only with factory ammo and I'm sitting at about 1moa, but, as always, your attention to detail is far and above most lay people, including myself, so I don't have as much data as you. I'm excited to see some more from you on this one. Are you using a brake? Which one? What's your max range hope/are you limited in your area?
Old June 12, 2019, 11:59 AM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
Gorgeous. I also went with a 110 tactical, but in 308. I completely agree with you on the stock and adjustability. Mine has been shooting only with factory ammo and I'm sitting at about 1moa, but, as always, your attention to detail is far and above most lay people, including myself, so I don't have as much data as you. I'm excited to see some more from you on this one. Are you using a brake? Which one? What's your max range hope/are you limited in your area?
Thanks--but I've done nothing special to the gun, mount, scope etc--everything is stock (it's a 110 long range hunter with 26" barrel) including the brake. When I fire it even with top power loads--the felt recoil is unbelievably light--not even equivalent to a low power 12 gauge shotshell IMO, maybe a tad more than a typical 308 IMO. My rifle all-up weight with everything ready to rock is 11 lbs. on the bathroom scale. It does jump a bit on firing--but how savage engineered it to dump all the recoil is amazing to me. That goes a long way to mitigate "anticipation flinch" too.

I've loaded a few rounds to try to tracking test the scope, but's it's very windy at the moment--I hope it backs off before the day is over. The scope is simply amazing--but it is a premium priced top-tier optic. I live in Maine where even 100 yds clearing in the woods is hard to find, so I have to do some "creative" weaving between trees and rocks to get much beyond that.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 12, 2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old June 12, 2019, 02:44 PM   #4
PlatinumCore16

Ohhh jeez, my apologies. I saw the grip texture and removable magazine and assumed it was also the tactical model. You went with the LRH. Slightly different, comes with it's own brake installed, and the stock is a slightly different forearm contour, and a different bolt handle. The rear of the stock is identical, still has a 20moa rail (or appears to?), and the barrel is of a heavier contour.

I agree with the felt recoil. Compared to other 308s I've shot, this would be the lowest felt recoil I've had. The stock system does help to get a good fit, though I wish it could be a tad longer.

Ah, my apologies on the range news. I am lucky to live 20ish minutes away from a 1000yd range and appx 2 hours or less from the Whittington center. Come out and check it out some time!
Old June 12, 2019, 02:55 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
Ohhh jeez, my apologies. I saw the grip texture and removable magazine and assumed it was also the tactical model. You went with the LRH. Slightly different, comes with it's own brake installed, and the stock is a slightly different forearm contour, and a different bolt handle. The rear of the stock is identical, still has a 20moa rail (or appears to?), and the barrel is of a heavier contour.

I agree with the felt recoil. Compared to other 308s I've shot, this would be the lowest felt recoil I've had. The stock system does help to get a good fit, though I wish it could be a tad longer.

Ah, my apologies on the range news. I am lucky to live 20ish minutes away from a 1000yd range and appx 2 hours or less from the Whittington center. Come out and check it out some time!
No reason to apologize--actually between the two I think your model is somewhat better--but I'm perfectly able to cope with what I have, even lacking some of the advantages of the tactical model (it comes with the 20 MOA cant rail as well, which , for some unknown reason, savage insists on delivering untightened--maybe they figure you might want to bed it?)). The brake is phenomenal in reducing felt recoil force--along with the accustock ergonomics. If you ever get a chance to look at one of the new models of the 5HD--it too is a great scope. The bad news is between the rifle and scope--there's nothing to blame poor shooting on except myself. LOL. Yep--living in the east can be a bit challenging when contemplating long range shooting. Or any shooting, for that matter.
Old June 13, 2019, 12:43 AM   #6
stagpanther

Well, my first attempt at a tall target test was an abysmal flop..

I did the best I could in the windy conditions to get a level target with a plumb line set-up--but it was immediately obvious when I got back to the gun and rest the reticle and target line did not line up. I can't tell for sure why that was, but obviously I'm going to have to start all over again checking everything with both the scope and target set-up. I also was a bit sloppy and had only one rangefinder to verify distance to target. Things started out with promise with the first group at the scope's zero, the first two shots pretty close to bullseye shots--but then the third shot--and all the rest--shifted left. I then dialed up 5 and then another 7 MOA on the scope keeping the same POA, but the subsequent shots landed left and also opened up in group size. After doing the math, the margins of error was way beyond what I would expect so I'm going to have to try again--and with a better set-up and verified trued scope, target and distance to target.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1756.jpg (45.5 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1755.jpg (24.8 KB, 236 views)
Old June 13, 2019, 03:08 AM   #7
std7mag

Silly, Stag!!!
Everybody know not to go heavier than 250gr with the LM....
Oh well, since you already have the bullets, you'll just have to get a 338-378 Weatherby, or Lazzeroni 8.59 Titan, so you can shoot em long range..

Just mess'n.

Glad you like the new scope!
One day i'll win the lottery too...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 13, 2019, 06:20 AM   #8
stagpanther

There's definitely "something special" about the 338LM. I'm learning about mystical gyroscopic forces that actually improve the projectile's accuracy as the range increases.

As for affording a top-tier scope; I thought you had already built a doghouse in the backyard for temporary residency to accommodate your firearm's habit?

Last edited by stagpanther; June 13, 2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old June 13, 2019, 10:26 AM   #9
std7mag

Still have to pay the mortgage on the big house.

Kinda like paying lot rent on a trailer.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 16, 2019, 09:42 AM   #10
Rob228

What rings are you using? I can't say I've ever seen them before.
Old June 16, 2019, 11:54 AM   #11
stagpanther

American rifle company. Best Rings I’ve ever used
Old June 16, 2019, 01:57 PM   #12
Rob228

Thanks, I'll have to give them a look.
Old June 17, 2019, 04:24 AM   #13
stagpanther

I've been messing with the scope some more--as mentioned above, the only slight negative I have observed about it is that the lens coatings tend to wash color definitions out slightly, say like yellowish leaves in green grass might not stand out as well color-wise but the focus definition is still very sharp. That appears to be a "trade" for maintaining over-all clarity through the entire field of view, and, it seems to me anyway, a reduction of mirage and parallax makes bringing in and keeping focus on the point of aim easier.
Old June 18, 2019, 05:00 AM   #14
stagpanther

Finally found something I definitely do not like about the scope--and leaves me scratching my head as to why Leupold did this. The windage turret zero is offset so that it appears higher up on the scope body--say at roughly 10:30 instead of the normal 9:00 or 12:00. Presumably this is to make it easier to see, but I find it confusing/difficult to figure out what the setting actually is (if you're not carefully keeping count of the clicks). I'm sure the intent is to make it easier to adjust without coming off the sight picture; but I find I have to do the opposite--and in fact have to get above the scope to see if the hash line is properly lined up, which itself is hard to discern since it's at an angle to the turret.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 18, 2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old June 20, 2019, 01:00 PM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

Thanks for the report! Now I’ll have to go to my old standby therapy for every time I think about buying one of those good deals on a .338LM: Punching myself in the shoulder and throwing a $5 bill in the fire.
Old June 20, 2019, 01:51 PM   #16
stagpanther

Quote:
Thanks for the report! Now I’ll have to go to my old standby therapy for every time I think about buying one of those good deals on a .338LM: Punching myself in the shoulder and throwing a $5 bill in the fire.
LOL--if you can handle a low-velocity 12 Guage trap shot shell--you won't even notice the felt recoil on this one. I've never come home with a sore shoulder even after extended sessions. Definitely a reloader's proposition--but the Lapua cases, while initially expensive, last for many reloads and as 338 becomes more popular the bullet prices are also dropping. It's bark is far worse than it's bite.
Old June 20, 2019, 05:29 PM   #17
Bartholomew Roberts

Actually, I usually do well with rifles. I’ve fired a single-shot .50 and a .375 H&H and was OK with the recoil of both. I’ve fired about 60 rounds of .375 in a single session (speaking of throwing money downrange) and that left a mark.

For me the worst recoil is an 870 with 3” turkey loads. That just rattles me from stem to stern.
Old June 20, 2019, 07:56 PM   #18
stagpanther

Quote:
For me the worst recoil is an 870 with 3” turkey loads. That just rattles me from stem to stern.
Yup--especially heavishot. A fast shotshell deer slug too. My biggest thumper is my 375 Ruger--that baby hits hard.
Old June 22, 2019, 02:16 PM   #19
BusGunner007

That's quite the rifle and excellent report.

Might be a weird question on my part, but why is the front ring for the scope not further forward?

Additional comment on recoil: my .375 RUM is definitely brutal ( in a good way! ).
Old June 22, 2019, 02:37 PM   #20
stagpanther

Quote:
That's quite the rifle and excellent report.

Might be a weird question on my part, but why is the front ring for the scope not further forward?

Additional comment on recoil: my .375 RUM is definitely brutal ( in a good way! ).
Thanks, very good question--I had issues getting the send-it level in a good position--no room in the back and it hits the objective bell any further forward. I may try to switch it later, but everything is trued and leveled. I love the rifle , might just have to get another one.
Old June 22, 2019, 03:30 PM   #21
BusGunner007

After magnifying the pic I see that.
Oh, so close!
Old June 22, 2019, 03:52 PM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
After magnifying the pic I see that.
Oh, so close!
Actually I just double checked and have room to move the level a notch or two out. I guess I could move the ring forward a bit--but then I'll have to start the entire process of leveling and trueing all over. One reason I like American rifle rings is that they apply a better distributed "clamshell" grip instead of the typical up down plates, so you can run the torque a bit higher than with typical rings. I've got clearance from the turret housing too--even if it looks a bit close.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 22, 2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old June 22, 2019, 07:00 PM   #23
BusGunner007

That would be an aesthetic PITA!

Looks good as is.
Happy shooting.