The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 3, 2017, 08:46 AM   #26
FITASC

Quote:
Don't take any firearms, and don't take any ammunition of any sort.
The odds of being arrested are higher than the odds of needing to defend yourself.
Based on what facts?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 3, 2017, 10:14 AM   #27
Screwball

Traveling to NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Based on what facts?

Read up on NJ 2C:39 and 2C:58...

While I feel his wording (post you quoted) was probably wrong, any person going into another state with a firearm should know the laws. Handguns are illegal for transportation, unless between certain points in NJ. If you don't have a NJ FID card, you have similar restrictions for long guns (with the FID, long guns can sit in your vehicle like anything else). Exceptions being LEOSA.

For ammunition, there is not one issue with any ammo... if you are committing a crime (carrying a firearm illegally), having hollow-points with it is an additional charge. But hollow-points or any ammunition is not illegal... by itself.

As the situation that was described by the OP, he did not say the home was his... so a handgun or long gun would be illegal in regards to transporting. If it was discovered, he likely would be arrested. People forget that a lot of things come from simple traffic stops... and I know that NJSP is doing a major ticket writing campaign between the 6/28 and 7/28, on the major highways across the state. It is very likely the OP will go on one of these roads during his trip.

Also, we don't know where he is staying... but unless it is something like Camden, Newark, or someplace similar, the likelihood of needing a gun is pretty low. Even in those areas, situational aware by itself is better than having a gun without it.

Now, if he brought a firearm into NJ, would he get caught? Probably not, but most people will not advocate something illegal... I sure as will won't. Doesn't matter what happens during his time in NJ, based on NJ criminal code, he does not have any legal reason to be in possession of any firearm. If you want to go through it and find something that I know isn't in there... go right ahead.

Last edited by Screwball; July 3, 2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old July 3, 2017, 07:05 PM   #28
Snyper

Quote:
Based on what facts?
More people are arrested than use a gun for self defense.

Hollowpoints for hunting are legal for NJ residents to possess under specific conditions:

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transpo...lowpoint.shtml

Quote:
N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition
Quote:
N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).
Visitors shouldn't carry any guns or ammo.

Last edited by Snyper; July 3, 2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old July 3, 2017, 07:48 PM   #29
FITASC

Carry? Agree; bring to the state? A blanket NO guns is silly as folks come there all the time to shoot and hunt
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 4, 2017, 12:39 AM   #30
Screwball

Traveling to NJ

Quote:
Carry? Agree; bring to the state? A blanket NO guns is silly as folks come there all the time to shoot and hunt

That is what you are confusing...

NJ doesn't allow people to just drive around with firearms. You can take your firearms from your home to another property you own, to a range, to your personally owned business (must be a physical location, not something that moves or a job site), to a dealer, or hunting. Only reasonable deviations are allowed between those places... which there actually is no real definition in what such a deviation is.

If the OP had a NJ FID, then he is allowed to leave a long gun in his vehicle, and is exempt from the transportation restrictions. Handguns still follow the above restrictions, minus hunting (not allowed for hunting in NJ).

I was looking for a holster maker in NJ, being I had a CZ with a unique setup that I wanted a Kydex holster made for. Emailed about it to some local companies, and for the ones that were capable of doing the work, they could not accept my pistol to work off, being they did not fall into one of the places I listed above. Had to go to the Oaks gun show (PA) to have one made for me.

As stated, you are correct... people do hunt and shoot in NJ. However, the OP did not say he was doing that. Even if he did, the way the law is written, he is supposed to go back home after hunting/shooting at a range. There are aspects of NJ law that are very vague, like reasonable deviations, but parts that are very clear... like where you are allowed to take a firearm. There are clear locations described, and the FID does allow some leeway with long guns.

So no, the blanket statement about not bringing guns into NJ is not silly. Do your research for yourself, but for someone that is living in NJ, I think I'd have a better understanding of the law than someone that suggested to bring a pistol grip shotgun into NJ because people hunt... see how far that gets you without a hunting license, and likely having a firearm that isn't legal to hunt with (NJ has hunting firearm laws based on the season; quick example, deer season... it is illegal for you to have slugs on you if your shotgun doesn't have rifle sights or a scope).

OP... do yourself a favor and leave the guns at home. Having one isn't worth the headache if you are pulled over and arrested... even how small the chance is. I mean, would you take a firearm into New York City, after the SAFE Act? I definitely recommend to carry as much as possible, but do it legally.
Old July 4, 2017, 02:07 PM   #31
Snyper

Quote:
But he's not going to "shoot and hunt".
He will also be passing through other areas where guns magazines and ammo could cause problems.
Old July 4, 2017, 03:01 PM   #32
FITASC

I was addressing the comments by folks who made blanket statements about never bringing a gun to NJ; mostly made by folks who have never been there.....
Old July 4, 2017, 04:00 PM   #33
Screwball

Quote:
I was addressing the comments by folks who made blanket statements about never bringing a gun to NJ; mostly made by folks who have never been there.....

Understood, but saying just because people go to shoot in NJ doesn't mean bringing guns in is the best suggestion. I understand your point, but with the same token, the OP never mentioned any recreational need for firearms. Everyone should look up laws for anyplace they intend to bring a firearm for reasons like this.

And I have lived in NJ since I was born...
Old July 4, 2017, 09:54 PM   #34
Snyper

Quote:
I was addressing the comments by folks who made blanket statements about never bringing a gun to NJ; mostly made by folks who have never been there
No one made any such statements.
We were addressing the OP specifically, not the world in general.
And don't assume you know where others have been, because you'd often be mistaken.
Old July 5, 2017, 12:22 PM   #35
P5 Guy

Quote: