The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 15, 2012, 03:51 PM   #51
Oysterboy

Whenever I leave my house I take my 2 guns, ammo, money, narcotic medicines, etc with me in a nondescript bag and stuff 'em in my trunk. The electric latch is disabled and only a key will open it.

In a way you can call it my bug out bag.
Old April 16, 2012, 04:49 PM   #52
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Unfortunately, this is the society we live in today. And one of the reasons we have many of the problems that we do. Everything is always our fault, never the fault of others, the ones actually doing the deed. Its our fault, because we let it happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpzwms
44Amp you make a point. But and you had to know that was coming if you have not done everything you can to prevent the loss of a firearm, you have not done enough. If you place them around your home do you put them away when you go to work? to the park or to the store for a gallon of milk? How long do you have to be away before its too long?

My guns are in the safe when I'm not at home, period. That's the best I can do. But how many pickup and pack up before running out for a minute?
I have to go with 44 AMP on this. If you lock your house when you leave and your guns are stored willy-nilly around the house, are they locked up? The answer is YES! Any other attitude simply empowers criminals and helps enact useless laws that do nothing but protect only them. Sure, many of us have safes or RSCs, mostly because we want to protect our investment, but remember, a safe salesman will be glad to tell you how many seconds it will take to open that RSC. Safes aren't the be all end all of security, either. Security in layers, folks.
Old April 16, 2012, 06:29 PM   #53
Nnobby45

Quote:
I have to go with 44 AMP on this. If you lock your house when you leave and your guns are stored willy-nilly around the house, are they locked up?

StevieRay, you've taken some liberty with certain statements re: having guns placed in the house. Mine for sure, and others as well.

Any gun stored for tactical reasons in my house is not stored "willy-nilly". It's put where it is for a reason, with forethought, to give me a tactical advantage under extreme circumstances.

Lastly, if they're stored "willy-nilly" then they wouldn't be locked up--would they?
Old April 17, 2012, 05:17 AM   #54
seeker_two

Question for those who carry in their homes: Do you also carry a first-aid kit and fire extinguisher on your person at all times?
Old April 17, 2012, 09:58 AM   #55
Glenn E. Meyer

There is a significant first aid kit in my car and house. Also fire extinguishers on each floor.

The thrust of the question ignores the time constraints of a violent attack vs. the time constraints of getting the kit or extinguisher. Yes, you might be faced with a sudden fire or bleed out wound but that's probably not the same temporal course as a home invasion, part of which separates you from the gun you have stashed away from you.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:00 PM   #56
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
StevieRay, you've taken some liberty with certain statements re: having guns placed in the house. Mine for sure, and others as well.

Any gun stored for tactical reasons in my house is not stored "willy-nilly". It's put where it is for a reason, with forethought, to give me a tactical advantage under extreme circumstances.

Lastly, if they're stored "willy-nilly" then they wouldn't be locked up--would they?
I've taken NO liberties. I really couldn't care less how they are placed about the house. I've used the term willy-nilly to explain that even if they are placed in the absolute most careless positions, if your house is locked up-your guns are locked up. Or would you rather give criminals even more excuses in court?

Your honor, if I hadn't seen that beautiful handgun laying on that table while I was looking in their windows, I swear I never would have broken in. So you see, it's actually their fault.

Clear now?
Old April 19, 2012, 02:48 AM   #57
RBid

Seeker Two,

I have 2 first aid kits in my apartment, and a fire extinguisher mounted in the central area.

Fires and home invasions are similar in small ways. I carry in my home because of the differences. If a fire erupts in your kitchen, it won't shoot or stab you, if you make a move for an extinguisher.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:23 AM   #58
C0untZer0

I think stashing guns significantly changes the dynamics of home defense in a number of ways.

There are people who plan to go to arm themselves, go to a defensive position and "hunker down" - wait for police. How does it affect things knowing that while you're hunkering down the home invaders are discovering your stashed weapons?

I'm perfectly OK with the theives taking my home electronics and stuff while I'm hunkered down. I know they're not going to take my wide screen TV and kill someone with it.

Even though tactically I know it would not be smart to leave my defensive position to confront home invaders, I personally would have a problem standing by while burglars walked out with my weapons - not so much in just losing them, but feeling responsible for them.

It also raises the potential of upgrading the weaponry of the assailants - as it did in this case when the woman left her handgun in her purse downstairs.

I know criminals carry all sorts of different weapons, but I believe that they gravitate toward lower-priced, lower valued firearms, and possibly lesser quality.

I just think if a thief had stolen some beautiful gun that is worth $2,500 - he's more likely to sell it for the money than to keep it as a burglary/mugging tool. He can get a $200 handgun that will do most everything he needs it to do and the extra $2,300 buys a lot of dope.

If I ever do get in a shootout I am hoping that I'm only facing a .32 or something.

Not that a .32 caliber bullet won't kill you, I know a .22 will kill you too.

But the thing about stashing a gun, it raises the potential that I'm significantly upgrading the armament of a home invader from a knife or .32 pistol to a quality high-capacity nine.

I have kids so stashing guns around the house is just not an option. But I think if I didn't have kids and I were to stash guns, that automatically requires that I have an alarm system and a dog, because besides just protecting my house I've now added the element of racing against time to prevent the intruders from procuring my stashed weapons.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:24 AM   #59
Edward429451

It's true. Sometimes trouble just walks up to the door and knocks. You will not have time to walk across the room and pick up a gun. If you're one that doesn't believe that these things happen because it's never happened to you, good for you that it hasn't happened to you.

Being in denial about it doesn't change the possibilities. It just means you'll be caught in condition white and unprepared if something happens. Being armed at home is not some big dramatic event, it's very casual.

There is an incredible amount of satisfaction that goes along with successfully repelling invaders at the front door. It wouldn't have been possible without the pistol.
Old April 19, 2012, 03:24 PM   #60
Sarge

Quote:
On stashing guns around the house: It's your house, your rules ..... but they are also your guns, thus your responsibility. If a kid or pet finds one and something bad happens, you'll have to live with that.
That does it. I'm selling the dogs.

I can tell you I grew up in a house where the guns where stashed and so did my kids. There were absolutes of behavior and dire consequences for ignoring them, in both cases.

As noted this is a personal choice for each of us to make and since everyone's circumstances are different regarding children, etc., no pat answer is going to work for everyone.
Old April 19, 2012, 03:52 PM   #61
spacecoast

I keep guns in my home and car, in locations that are secure but not so secure that I have a problem getting to them quickly. Nobody is going to run into them by accident. I'm with the few here who think that putting a gun behind a locked door means that it's locked up and that being victimized by a thief is not the same as negligently arming that thief.

For those who are paranoi... errr... so concerned about my guns, what do you do about your kitchen drawer full of knives??? Do you lock those up too? What about all the criminals and small children you are inadvertently arming with deadly weapons?

And what about the bleach and rat poison and hammers and crowbars and shovels scattered around the house and garage? And that money in your wallet - a thief could certainly use that to buy weapons and larceny tools. Shame on you!
Old April 19, 2012, 04:19 PM   #62
RBid

Spacecoast,

Is it your position that kitchen knives, rat poison, hammers, crowbars, and shovels are as dangerous as firearms?

To clarify, we all know that they can be used to cause harm or death. My question isn't, "are they potentially deadly". My question is as above.
Old April 19, 2012, 04:27 PM   #63
9mm

I keep a gun on my desk, in my pocket, and in my bedroom.
Old April 20, 2012, 09:55 AM   #64
Glenn E. Meyer

I certainly hope that I face my dog when he is shooting a 32.

Wait, I don't have a dog.

Dogs do shoot people quite a few times in TX. Step on or knock over a long arm.

I do have a 32 - a 327 Mag - with some powerful stuff in it. You wouldn't want that in your face.

My shovel doesn't cost $459.

After watching the finale of Justified I am rethinking carrying my Chinese cleaver around with me.

Old April 20, 2012, 07:29 PM   #65
drifts1

Everybody is gonna do whats comfortable for them and so long as we each take responsibility for our own safety its crazy to critizize each other. We have the carry on my person vs. stashed around the house vs. on my nighstand vs. all locked up in my fort knox safe people going at it. Decide whats best for you and thats that. Personally i dont carry at home, it just not comfortable for ME. I know anything can happen anywhere but i choose for my home to be a place of relaxation & safety. if something does happen i know what i need to do.
Old April 23, 2012, 09:30 AM   #66
cookie5

That is just one reason why guns in purses is a very bad idea.