The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 2, 2012, 04:33 PM   #76
JimCameron

Slick Willie, you paint a broad stroke with your brush, based on your encounter with a handful of officers. There are over 800,000 LEO's in the U.S.

On the other hand, my guess is that the Jet Blue passengers don't think much of pilots in general either.
Old April 2, 2012, 05:06 PM   #77
Willie Sutton

What I first learned is that cops treat citizens like suspects because 1 out of 1000 is a criminal, wants to harm the cop, and that the only way for them to stay safe is to treat everyone as a threat. They treat the people they interact with like threats until they drive away. That's understandable: It's just good tactics likely.

What I then added to that knowlage was that I need to do the same thing: I need to treat all cops that I come into contact with like someone who will trample my rights in order to do whatever they have been ordered to do. 1 out of a 1000? Same odds. They are all threats to me until they prove otherwise... by getting back in their car and driving away. Those are my tactics now. I learned them from the police.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Maybe it is 1 out of 1000. Cops don't accept those risks... neither do I.

I don't want to be a lightning rod here, I'm a relaxed good guy and basically LIKE cops from a cultural standpoint and from the standpoint of what they SHOULD be trying to accomplish in society. But I cannot risk my freedom on the wishful thinking that they are all good, or that all departments are honest departments. I have, to my own peril, found otherwise.

I'm going to step out of the discussion now, as its not productive. My entire point was to try to articulate why some people choose to run from the cops. it's not always that they are criminals: Sometimes the cops have taught people to fear them more than being punished for running if they are caught. Just food for thought.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; April 2, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old April 2, 2012, 05:33 PM   #78
JimCameron

Actor, I just don't want you to get yegg on your face.
Old April 2, 2012, 05:54 PM   #79
Willie Sutton

It's all good... sense of humor unscathed. Friends greeted, and enemies waved at.

Willie the Actor... what a guy, eh? Everybody liked him, unlike me...

Best,

Willie "not the actor"
Old April 2, 2012, 06:00 PM   #80
Fishing_Cabin

Not a problem Willie...

At times we all have opinions and ideas that may be great, or may rub others the wrong way. The discussion has been friendly, at least my view of it.

Also, no problem being a lightning rod...That is unless your grounded properly as well. I think we can all become a lightning rod at times. I hope you took nothing personally. I for one, did not infer that, only enjoyed the friendly discussion.

All, enjoy your evening
Old April 2, 2012, 06:38 PM   #81
Willie Sutton

Completely agree.

Willie

Old April 2, 2012, 06:40 PM   #82
marsofold

I agree 100% with Willie Sutton's attitude and conclusion about the current state of law enforcement in America. Thank you for your post, your service, and may God bless you Willie...
Old April 3, 2012, 03:26 AM   #83
F350Diesel

Cop bashing?

I was taught by my dad what to do when interacting with the police. He enlisted in '73 as MP and still does it. That advice kept me not only sans handcuffs, but kept me out of jail when the police had more than enough to make me stay a few nights. Due to those few encounters when I was wrong but still acted calm, respectful, and followed orders, I wanted to be a police officer. I joined the military instead, but still want to be an officer when I'm done with the military. I've also got a lot of friends who are police officers. I've volunteered at my local police department to play "bad guy" during training. Just like my dad said, be good, you get treated well. Step out of line and get what is coming to you. Even in the training ops that was apparent.
Obviously there are variable factors in play here. Everyone is prone to a bad day. The stress of working a bad part of town for an extended period of time can really put someone in the red when it isn't necessary. Mob mentality is a pressure everyone is susceptible to, including officers. I guess even if these situations develop just a tiny bit, a regular Joe can make it a pretty bad day through complaints or legal action. But in all the instances where I've been pulled over or anything like that across the country, I've been treated with respect and fairness regardless of how obviously stupid I was being.
I guess I'd just like to say thanks to the cops out there.
Old April 3, 2012, 12:07 PM   #84
Frank Ettin
Staff

Getting stale -- let's call it a day.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread