The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 28, 2002, 10:54 PM   #1
JoshM75

L Moore ?

I recently was given a SXS Hammer 12ga shotgun, its only markings are "L Moore The Strand London" along the center of the barrels [30inch] and "L Moore" on the side plates. No serial numbers or anything else.

It seems to be in working order I'm not going to test it though .
Most likely clean it up for wallhanger duty.

A rough idea of manufacture date or value would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 29, 2002, 05:11 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I don't have anything specific on the L. Moore, however from what you describe it is probably what is commonly termed a "Hardware Gun" (Guns made by Major Mfg's of firearms, for Hardware Stores in the late 1800 & 1900's, , even individuals, with the store or individuals name on them. Some compainies provided this through import, haveing the guns made in Europe, and distributed here in the U.S. Crescent was a major contributor in these efforts. Although L. Moore is not specifically listed with Crescent, I am assuming that this gun is in that catagory, I just don't have who made it. Here is the Crescent story.

CRESCENT ARMS

This Company mfg’d good quality, inexpensive side by side and single Bbl shotguns and was founded in 1883. They were bought by the H&D Folsom Arms Company of New York, importers and distributors of firearms and sporting goods.

After the purchase of Crescent, the Folsom Company was able to offer a complete range of shotguns, imported English French, Belgium and American made Crescents. By the turn of the century Crescent Arms produced huge quantities of “Hardware Guns” it produced guns under direct contract to distributors, mail order housed and hardware distributors with any brand name the customer requested. Crescent also produced guns for its parent company, as Folsom house brands that were sold to customers that did not want their own brand name.

By the lat 1890's Crescent was producing basically five grade of dbl bbl shotguns offering a model for most tastes. The Crescent /Folsom Arms Company continued this type of business until 1930 when it merged with Davis Warner Arms Corp and became the Crescent-Davis Arms Corp. In 1932 it assets and machinery were bought by Stevens Arms Company, a victim of changing tastes and the depression

HJN
Old November 30, 2002, 07:22 PM   #3
JoshM75

Thanks Harley
Old December 4, 2002, 09:43 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some American makers even tried to trade on the reputation of English guns by using "London" markings or altered names of well-known English makers ("Breener" for "Greener" for example).

My sources show a number of Moores in the English gun trade, but no "L. Moore".

One thing to check is to remove the barrels and look on the bottom and on the flat part of the action (the "watertable") under the barrels for English proof marks. The presence of English proofs will confirm the "London" marking; the presence of Belgian proofs or no proofs would show that marking to be phoney.

Jim