The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 22, 2020, 04:06 PM   #1
ghbucky

.22lr with iron sights?

I've been looking around for a bolt .22lr with proper iron sights.

'Proper' for me means a rear sight (behind the bolt) with click windage and elevation adjustments and a front blade.

Everything I see (that does have iron sights) seems like the rear sight is forward of the receiver and with a slide elevation and no windage.

I saw that Anshcutz makes stuff like this, but ... zowiee, the price!

I thought this was shooting 101, so I'm surprised they aren't commonly available. Is there a reason they don't commonly make rifles like this?
Old August 22, 2020, 04:07 PM   #2
tlm225

Lack of demand by consumers.
Old August 22, 2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Hawg

There are some with windage adjustable sights but they're all barrel mounted until you get into target rifles. You can always have a rceiver drilled and tapped for sights.
Old August 22, 2020, 06:58 PM   #4
oprod

There are some guns available, but you have to look in the used sections in gunbroker, river of guns, guns international, and 22 bore or the like websites. Kimber made a great one for many years,there are some low entry, high quality .22 rim fires made by the Romanians in the 50’s and 60’s. These you can find searching for Romanian .22. Winchester 52 models a-d. Remington model 37.
Old August 22, 2020, 08:00 PM   #5
10-96

Naw, there's this one. It's been out for years and still out there. CZ and others have options if you care to order from Tech Sights.
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=98263

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old August 22, 2020, 08:15 PM   #6
SIGSHR

Behind the bolt ? My Winchester M69 has the rear sight at the very end of the receiver.
Old August 22, 2020, 09:42 PM   #7
jmr40

The type of sights you describe would cost more than most 22 rifles and most people today use scopes. If you want them they are available aftermarket.

Winston Churchill
Old August 23, 2020, 06:56 AM   #8
ghbucky

Quote:
Naw, there's this one. It's been out for years and still out there. CZ and others have options if you care to order from Tech Sights.
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=98263
Perfect! Thank you! And this dealer is only 2 hours away.

Last edited by ghbucky; August 23, 2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old August 23, 2020, 05:24 PM   #9
10-96

You're welcome! Could you do us a favor and give us a range report when you get the critter and run through the paces with it? There's been at least twice that I thought real hard on picking one up, but then I caught the CZ bug and ended up with all my 'Wants and Wishes' bases covered. On here, I've read they'll either just nearly or fully keep step with just about any CZ.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old August 23, 2020, 05:39 PM   #10
FITASC

Buy a Williams peep sight and have it installed
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 23, 2020, 05:53 PM   #11
ghbucky

Quote:
You're welcome! Could you do us a favor and give us a range report when you get the critter and run through the paces with it? There's been at least twice that I thought real hard on picking one up, but then I caught the CZ bug and ended up with all my 'Wants and Wishes' bases covered. On here, I've read they'll either just nearly or fully keep step with just about any CZ.
I sure will. It won't be for a while. I was just doing the leg work to find what firearm I'm adding next. Very excited to find Savage makes exactly what I'm looking for and for a reasonable price.
Old August 24, 2020, 05:18 AM   #12
stagpanther

Local bubba one day brought me a Remington 22lr--one of those really old "found in grand-daddy's basement" things, a beautiful little rifle made sometime in the 1930's which had a sweet built-in flip up rear peep sight and nice front sight. I cleaned it up and shot it it, it could do MOA at 50 yds. I'm sorry I don't remember the model number--but I would seriously consider buying one if I ever saw one at a gun show.
Old August 24, 2020, 11:55 AM   #13
darkgael

Savage Arms Mark 1 FVT .22 bolt action. At Champions Choice. $465.00
http://www.champchoice.com/store/mai...yBody&c=FISRSA
Old August 24, 2020, 12:16 PM   #14
ghbucky

Thanks, darkgael

10-96 clued me in that exact Savage rifle upthread. I had looked at their rifles on their website, but their filtering tool doesn't really work all that well.

That rifle is exactly what I'm looking for.
Old August 24, 2020, 01:41 PM   #15
Erno86

You might be interested in the BSA Martini Model 12/15, or a BSA Mark II or III International target rifles on Gunbroker; but they do not come equipped with a mechanical safety and have Parker Hale peep sights.

I own 3 - 12/15's and a Mark II...that I swear by. The 12/15 is a great bench or offhand/standing target rifle (10.5 pounds), and the Mark II or III (14 pounds) are used mostly with a benchrest or shooting prone.

--- George Orwell
Old August 24, 2020, 02:14 PM   #16
ghbucky

Erno86, those are certainly beautiful rifles. But I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive.

This is really a lark. I shot my brother's Springfield M1A using the iron sights and really liked it. So, I figured I'd line up a .22lr that I could repeat the experience with, but be a much cheaper beast to feed.
Old August 25, 2020, 11:20 AM   #17
Erno86

I use 1.5 diopter reading glasses (I'm 69 years old), in order to see the front sight aperture on my 12/15's, clearly focused with my right eye. Fortunately...I can see the target clearly focused as well, while using the 1.5 diopter.

The BSA 12/15's...as so boringly accurate off the bench, that I have come accustomed to shooting them in the offhand/standing position.

--- George Orwell
Old August 25, 2020, 06:26 PM   #18
Dfariswheel

Many .22 rifles have grooved receivers for scope mounts, and many are drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Williams make receiver sights that attach using the grooves or the scope holes, so you can put a receiver sight on a .22 bolt gun.
Old August 26, 2020, 07:41 AM   #19
raimius

Tech Sights makes several models, including ones for the 10/22.
Old August 26, 2020, 09:00 AM   #20
reinert

Didn't know Savage made the Mk1 FVT model. What a great factory offering equipped with a receiver sight, along with a decent price tag to boot. I'll bet the thing shoots great, too. I have an old pre-war Winchester M75 with a Vaver receiver peep sight that tears little holes at 50 yds. "all day long" as the saying goes...

CCI, standard vels. "all day long," too, if you can find some these days... luckily I have a decent supply I bought last year @ 25 bucks a brick. If you can find some these days, the price, no doubt, might be a "wee" bit higher...
Old August 26, 2020, 01:49 PM   #21
bamaranger

Mossberg 44US

If you are looking for a peep sighted rifle, you might include a Mossberg 44US in your search. These were sold affordably by CMP in years past, unfortunately, many w/o magazines. I do not k now what one will bring these days. A replacement mag will run $50 if you can find one. I single load mine. The triggers are a bit heavy , but they are simple and can be tweaked a bit. The barrels, if in good shape, are frequently first rate.
Old August 26, 2020, 02:28 PM   #22
ghbucky

Thanks, bamaranger!

Looks like a nice rifle.
Old August 31, 2020, 12:57 PM   #23
Drm50

I have a dozen 22 rifles with reciever sights. I only have two with scopes. I don’t have any with house brand sights like use to be an option on most BA 22s. I have Lyman and Redfield reciever sights on mine. I like the click adjustments just like a scope. I also have some 22 with flip up Tang Peeps, fine for target but not much good for moving small game. The remainder just have factory original irons. Some I can’t shoot because I can’t see rear sight, to close for my eyes to focus on. The reciever peep is perfect for me and others that can’t see back sights.
Old September 20, 2020, 07:11 PM   #24
Reloadron

If you can find one the Remington 510P would do. The P suffix is for Peep sights. The downside is that it is a single shot rifle. First rifle I ever owned and I really like that old rifle. Not sure if the 511 or 512 offered a peep but pretty much any older 22 rifle with a peep sight will have the rear sight aft of the action.

Ron
Old September 21, 2020, 02:56 PM   #25
Tony Z

I have a Remington 513T. I think the T stands for target, as the rifle has a heavy barrel and target stock. Also has peep sights. Very accurate.

Got it from an uncle around 1982 or so, and it was old then!