The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 10, 2020, 10:19 PM   #26
stephen426

@mikejonnestkd,

I have spring piston, nitro piston, PCP and CO2 air rifles. As littlebikerider mentioned, spring piston and nitro piston guns have some bad recoil which can affect accuracy. PCP rifles have come down considerably so you really should give them a second look. Unless you are looking at pest control or small game hunting, I’d stick with .22. Ammo is quite a bit cheaper than .25, but it pack a lot more than the .177 I think Pyramyd Air is probably one of the best sites for air guns. I just ordered this gun but it hasn’t come in yet. The reviews are amazing and the specs are highly impressive: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_V...Air_Rifle/5136
It is a regulated gun with adjustable power and the tank can be pumped to 4500 PSI. Price is only $299, buy\t you’ll probably spend more on a pump.

The Benjamin Marauder. As already mentioned, is a great gun as well and very quiet. I have one in .25 for sniping iguanas at my parents house. I started with the Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston piston and then went up to the .25 caliber version when it didn’t seem the .22 was doing the job. The Marauder (I got the synthetic version) is an incredible gun and is very accurate with the right ammo. I’ll update once my Air Venturi Avenger comes in.
Old October 11, 2020, 05:56 AM   #27
shurshot

Some very good advice in the previous posts. Crossman makes a fun plinking pistol. For the money, they are hard to beat. I have the 1322.
I would add, for casual backyard plinking, and pest control / hunting, a nice moderate to high powered springer long gun is hard to beat. I have always been a fan of the Diana springers. The 350 is way too loud, too hard to cock repeatedly. I got rid of my 350. The 34 is perfect. Sidelever model is also nice, I still have one, a model 52 in .22.
My all time favorite is the Diana model 45 .177, bought one in 1988 (900 fps with a rubber piston seal), foolishly sold it, then found a replacement, a 1983 model on Ebay a few years ago. This one has the leather piston seal, shoots a bit slower...probably around 800 fps, just needs a drop of oil on occasion to keep the leather alive. You can still find the RWS Diana 45 used if you look.
Properly cared for, springers last indefinitely as long as you don't store it cocked or dry fire it... or loan it out to friends.
Springers are perfect for survivalist minded folk, as there is just FAR less to break over the long haul. No tanks, pumps , valves or hoses! Just a spare spring, an extra breach and piston seal along, bottle of the proper oil with plenty of pellets and you should be good come Hell or high water. Something to consider in today's crazy world.
My vintage Diana 45 is perfect for plinking tin cans, squirrels, rabbits, feral cats, rats, crows, etc. Over 800 FPS in a man sized rifle, German made wood and blue steel, accurate & classy, what more do you need?
Oh, pellets. You need pellets. I like the RWS pellets, pricey, but accurate. Still far cheaper than .22's. .177 is potent on birds, but with squirrels, rabbits, etc., I would suggest head shots.
The 45 is no longer made, but the 34 is its son if you want brand new and or in .22, which is probably better for hunting / pests. Or, my next likely airgun, a Weihrauch HW50... another quality made air rifle. Very nice gun.
Don't get too hung up on speed. Some people think you have to have the fastest airgun made. Speed sells. You do not need 1,000 fps to shoot rats or tin cans. 650 to 800 is more than enough, and many of us have been successful and satisfied with even less. Shot placement is the secret.
With a springer, use the artillery hold, no death grip... hold it loose, allow it to recoil foward. First lesson I learned in 1988 with my old 45 Diana. Springers do have a learning curve, but once mastered are a true joy to use.

Last edited by shurshot; October 11, 2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old October 11, 2020, 08:14 AM   #28
FITASC

While PCPs aren't as expensive as they used to be, buying the SCUBA tank can be expensive.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 11, 2020, 09:13 AM   #29
Geezerbiker

I've been lusting after one off the 9mm air rifles from PyrimidAir for a long time. One with all that's needed to feed it never seemed to fit in my budget...

Tony
Old October 11, 2020, 03:01 PM   #30
Double K

SCBA tanks {fireman tanks} that are out of date sell for less than 100.00, the gauge and hose are another 65.00. Paintball places will fill them or if you know someone who works at a firehouse that has a compressor they'll fill them if they know your using it for a pcp and not fire rescue. The local guys around here have topped off my gun a couple of times when I didn't have the bulk tank with me.
I know two guys that have compressors that fill mine, one full tank will fill my gun close to 50 times, 50 shots per gun fill= 2500 shots between tank fills, that's alot of pellets.
Once you shoot a suppressed pcp you'll never go back to spring guns. They're way lighter, accurate and quieter.
Old October 11, 2020, 09:12 PM   #31
stephen426

https://www.amazon.com/GX-Compressor.../dp/B0819ZH85H

I know this compressor isn’t cheap, I bought one and mine has worked great. It can fill bottles as well as long as you don’t run it longer than 30 minutes. One you get a compressor, you will never want to go back to manual pumps. If you have to pay to get your tank filled, it will eventually add up.
Old October 12, 2020, 01:16 PM   #32
SIGSHR

If this ammo shortage doesn't let up soon air guns are all we will be able to shoot.
I have a Webley Tenpest, I like not having to depend on an external power source.
An air gun allows for shooting on a cold, icy, snowy rainy stay at home day. And it's an excellent way to introduce new shooters.
Old October 12, 2020, 02:22 PM   #33
cslinger

Quote:
If this ammo shortage doesn't let up soon air guns are all we will be able to shoot

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH!!!! I don’t need a few million extra air gunners eating into my pellet supply too. . .

Quote:
An air gun allows for shooting on a cold, icy, snowy rainy stay at home day.
My evening last night.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1B1126FA-E7BB-4888-8A69-94B21D8585E1.jpeg (141.9 KB, 162 views)
Old October 13, 2020, 10:26 PM   #34
stephen426

My Air Venturi Avenger just came in today! I’m going to have to wait till I go to my parent’s house since I have my compressor there. I’m pretty darn excited to shoot this thing. I’ll let you guys know once I put it through it’s paces. Those iguanas won’t know what hit them!
Old October 14, 2020, 09:29 AM   #35
seanc

cslinger:
Quote:
YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH!!!! I don’t need a few million extra air gunners eating into my pellet supply too.
^+1,000!!

What distance were you shooting at for that target?
My .22 Gamo Whisper with a nitro piston can do about 1" groups at 25 yards, but beyond that opens up to just under 3" at 50 yards, off-hand. I just got a Benjamin Fortitude Gen 2 in .177 and am just shooting at a 1.5" spinner at 25 yards for now. Still breaking in the 1st 500 shots, then I'll switch to the good pellets and see what I can really do without the springer recoil at distance. That Gamo is still my squirrel/chipmunk killer!

With the run-up in gun & ammo prices this summer, I took the opportunity to sell off one of my rifles and it's ammo. Gave me plenty to get started in the PCP world with a nice HP compressor too. Luckily, I found the .177 ammo my Fortitude likes before pellet prices started going up in the past few weeks. I just hope it still likes the same 2 after "break-in" as I bought several years supply worth (trying to capture the same lot).
Old October 14, 2020, 10:01 AM   #36
Double K

Here's a target shot at 20yds with my Diana Outlaw earlier this year, it shows a preference for 10.0+ and heavier pellets.
My go to pellet for pest control this summer has been the Stoeger 10.19 gr. x-power, at 20yds it groups in an out of round hole and 1/2 inch out to 60yds.

I've been cleaning out prairie dogs at one of my accounts for the last few weeks, mostly neck and head shots out to 50yds.
This one was a 37yd neck shot.

Ran across this picture from a couple of years ago, this customer has a prairie dog for a pet, he runs around the house with her Chihuahua, not house trained and bites everyone except her. I didn't comment on the situation.

Last edited by Double K; October 14, 2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old October 14, 2020, 01:55 PM   #37
cslinger

My “indoor range” is around 18-19 yards. About 58 feet wall to wall.

With the (all spring) air rifles 50 yards is REALLY stretching my skill limit. I am fairly solid out to about 35-40 yards.
Old October 14, 2020, 03:30 PM   #38
seanc

My indoor range is only 14 yards. I can usually get groups like that with my 953, even with the cheapest pellets. I don't like to shoot my faster pellet rifles indoors due to lead exposure concerns.
Old October 14, 2020, 05:58 PM   #39
Double K

Here's some 10 shot groups at 20yds, nothing wrong with JSB 10.34 gr. pellets.

Check out the 10 shot group on target #1.

50yd testing checking velocity.

I should have realized that if the Outlaw would topple the heavy duty 22 rams at 50yds they would also damage the air gun rams, ruined a couple of them before gong down and looking at them.
The third one from the left was dented pretty bad.

Last edited by Double K; October 14, 2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old October 20, 2020, 07:33 PM   #40
stephen426

So I finally made the time to shoot my new Air Venturi Avenger. At only $299, this is arguably the best value PCP rifle on the market right now. The air tank holds 180 cc and can be pressurized to 4350 PSI. You had better have a compressor if you want to try and get to that pressure. The barrel is shrouded and has internal baffles to reduce noise. I fired it at full power and it was very quiet (at least as quiet and the Benjamin Marauder). The cool thing is that this is a regulated air rifle, especially at this price point. It is user adjustable for the regulator, allowing full power shots, to lower powered plinking. The trigger pull is also adjustable for trigger weight and travel! It has Picatinny rails on top (no fixed sight included) and a rail at the front of the fore end for mounting optics or a bipod. The gun uses a side lever to cock the gun which is pretty cool. It just goes straight back and forth unlike the typical bolt action On the Benjamin Marauder.

So, how does it shoot? Pretty darn good would sum it up. I mounted a 3-9 powered scope from Center Point and got it dialed in. I used a laser pointed that I lined up along the air tank and barrel to get close to lined up. From there, it just took a few shots and I was dead on. I’ll try and post some pics when I get a chance.

I did not mess with the trigger pull as I was just trying to get the scope sighted in first. While it isn’t like a light match grade trigger, it isn’t bad at all. I’m sure it can be improved with the adjustments. I don’t have a trigger gauge, but I’d say it was in the 4-5 pound range from the factory.

Accuracy was spot on as you will see once I get the pictures up. It took just a few shots to get sighted in so I started aiming at the numbers instead. It was raining so I could only shoot at 14 yards under my covered patio. There is no crosswind so the shots were dead on at that distance. I sighted in with JSB Match Kings, then H&N Barracuda Extremes and Predator Polymags. Both pellets were dead on as well and were touching at 14 yards. I didn’t fire enough rounds to see how it functioned at lower pressures, but I’ll try and update this post when I do.

If you have a high power compressor, this is the gun to get. Getting a regulated gun at this price range is incredible. Having the ability to adjust power and trigger pull is a awesome bonus. Someone complained the stock feels cheap and plasticky, but it also lowers the weight. The gun actually came with two mags and a single shot loading tray while Benjamin only came with one. This may not be the ideal poop hits the fan air rifle since it is PCP, but it can certainly take out small game easily and probably even bigger game with good shot placement. If you are using it for pest control, buy the caliber you need. I’m using mine for iguanas so .25 is ideal for me. It is rated at 45 foot pounds at the muzzle. The .22 is rated for 34 foot pounds, and the .177 at 22 foot pounds. Rats should easily go down with .22.
Old October 20, 2020, 09:06 PM   #41
Dean C

A friend of mine has several airsoft guns with AR style mags. Watching him load the mags using a thumb and a funnel, I had this brilliant idea. Note: I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer with a everlasting craving to design things. I am now about 80% finished with the design of a Rube Goldberg mechanism (without fans, birds, mice etc.). This device will totally replace the "thumb and funnel". I've told him about my gizmo loader and he wants to build one. It's got to be a great conversation piece.
I'll provide pictures when complete.
Dean
Pro 2A Washington (Charter Member)
Old October 22, 2020, 11:53 PM   #42
candr44

I've been getting into shooting air guns for the past 2 years now. I bought a .22 Diana Chaser and a .22 Hatsan Bullboss pcp rifle mainly for pest control. Air guns are also the only guns I have to shoot since I moved to Massachusetts. I left all my firearms in another state since most are illegal here. Surprisingly Massachusetts doesn't regulate air guns other than having to be at least 18 to buy one.

The Diana isn't as accurate or as powerful as I would like but its good for close range. The Hatsan is very accurate and has plenty of power but it is heavy. I use both to keep the squirrels and wood chucks under control but there seems to be no end to the chipmunks.

I haven't been into air guns since my teens and it amazes me how much they have advanced in capabilities. Full auto, short barreled rifles, silencers, calibers up to .50, and a lot of power are easy to find now. They are a lot more deadly and it wouldn't surprise me if Massachusetts started regulating them like firearms.
Old October 23, 2020, 08:27 AM   #43
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by candr44
I haven't been into air guns since my teens and it amazes me how much they have advanced in capabilities. Full auto, short barreled rifles, silencers, calibers up to .50, and a lot of power are easy to find now. They are a lot more deadly and it wouldn't surprise me if Massachusetts started regulating them like firearms.
Don’t give them any ideas. LOL I knew that the power was increasing on air rifles, but this is a lot more than I was expecting: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umare...Air_Rifle/4336

It fires a .50 cal projectile at 1000 FPS and has a muzzle energy of 700 foot pounds. That is easily lethal power. The cost of ammo goes up significantly above .25. You’d also better have your own compressor as well since you don’t get too many shots per fill with these big bore guns.

Last edited by stephen426; October 23, 2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old October 23, 2020, 10:15 AM   #44
Tony Z

I have multiple "BB" and pellet guns. Be very mindful of what you use as a target! A round BB ricochets easily (you'll shoot your eye out).
Old October 23, 2020, 10:23 AM   #45
Double K

More and more companies are realizing the issue with ricocheting bb's, here's one that should be much better than the old steel bb's.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Air_V..._1_500_ct/1477
Old October 23, 2020, 10:53 AM   #46
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K
More and more companies are realizing the issue with ricocheting bb's, here's one that should be much better than the old steel bb's.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Air_V..._1_500_ct/1477
Seems like a good idea. @ $9.99 for 1500, it’s 125% more than the copper plated BBs of the same pack size. You can also get 6000 copper plated BBs for the same price as the frangible BBs. I guess it is one of those “do it if you have to”, but the price is still a bit steep. Just wear safety glasses and be aware of what you are shooting at.
Old October 23, 2020, 10:56 AM   #47
Double K

If you add in the price of just one window to the copper bb's there not a bargain, ha ha.
Old October 23, 2020, 11:05 AM   #48
stephen426

@ Double K... I was expecting that kind of reply. LOL
Old October 23, 2020, 11:36 AM   #49
Double K

Glad I didn't disappoint you.
Old October 23, 2020, 11:46 AM   #50
cslinger

Quote:
It fires a .50 cal projectile at 1000 FPS and has a muzzle energy of 700 foot pounds. That is easily lethal power. The cost of ammo goes up significantly above .25. You’d also better have your own compressor as well since you don’t get too many shots per fill with these big bore guns.
I dig airguns. I love the innovation etc. that said, at least in this country, I have a hard time seeing the utility of super powerful airguns. If I want to hunt I can pretty much amble into any guns shop in any state in the union and pick up a passable .308 bolt gun and glass or a 12 gauge and have far more versatility, far cheaper. I get the giggle factor. TRUST ME I GET THE GIGGLE FACTOR. . But they are a hard sell in my opinion.

For me airguns shine as safe low powered shooting pretty much anywhere or discreet, inexpensive pesting. Again that is for me personally I am not telling others they are wrong or I am right.