The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 2, 2019, 09:55 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Mossberg Flex Rifles & Shotguns

Hi everyone,

I recently placed a used Mossberg MVP 308 Flex rifle on layaway at my LGS. It looks like new with 18.5” fluted medium heavy barrel, tactical adjustable stock, cheap Chinese fixed magnification scope and adjustable trigger. I love that it accepts M1A and AR10 magazines.

After researching its features, in terms of stock takedown options, I began looking for the Mossberg 500 Flex, which shares the same removable stock system. To my surprise, my rep at the LGS told me that the Flex series has not been embraced by the market and that they only sell the guns and related accessories via special order.

I find this odd because this flex line is very convenient and versatile for those who like takedown rifles. One bolt action rifle that shares various stock options with a 500 Flex series shotgun? That sounds awesome! Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 18, 2019, 04:51 PM   #2
YankeeIronSights

Update:

My LGS had a special sale this weekend. All used guns had a 20% discount !!! I walked away with the MVP rifle for less than $300.00 out the door. It looks like the one in the photo (adjustable stock- sand color instead of black). I will share the range report next week.

Old August 18, 2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Theohazard

I’ve worked at 3 different gun shops since 2012. Back in 2012 - 2013 we stocked a small selection of Flex shotguns. They sold slowly. I left that shop in 2014. Since then, the shops I’ve worked out didn’t stock them and customers didn’t ask for them. I think I’ve seen one customer order one in the last 5 years. They just don’t seem very popular.
Old August 18, 2019, 06:59 PM   #4
YankeeIronSights

That is the same trend I keep hearing from sales reps in various stores that I have visited. Someone told me today that the price of Flex models is too high and customers get better deals buying regular Mossberg models.

I still think that the concept is very cool. I will start looking for a Mossberg 500 Flex with regular rifle stock that can be swapped with the adjustable stock of my MVP.