The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 14, 2017, 02:42 PM   #1
OhioGuy

Finally, a tuckable IWB holster that really works!

I've been looking for holster options for my S&W Bodyguard for a while--ones that would allow me to tuck my shirt in when the occasion calls for it. I really dislike carrying in a pocket, even with a quality pocket holster.

The majority of tuckable holsters have very prominent belt clips--they're great functionally, and allow the shirt to be tucked between the clip and the holster. The trouble with all of these is that you have an (often) enormous, prominent metal or plastic clip on your belt that could tip someone off--even if they have no idea what they're looking at, something out of place could draw someone's eyes to an area they'd otherwise never look at. I wanted something less obvious.

I tried a Desantis Sof-Tuck holster, a pretty high quality leather holster with a clip that slides over your waistband and hooks under the belt. Good in theory but poor in practice, as even the small weight of a pocket .380 eventually pulls the waistband down and creates a gap in the belt, and the J-hook sometimes slipped under the belt and failed to retain the holster. I replaced that clip with an UltiClip, which uses thin and strong steel to clamp down on the waistband--better retention and smaller profile, but still not a good fit.

I tried a Sticky Holster, hoping it would just stick with the shirt tucked around it, but no dice--the shirt stuck TOO well to be easily drawn up and more often than not, the entire holster came up with the shirt.

Finally I found what I think may be the only truly invisible but secure tuckable holster, made by Remora. This is just like their standard design (which is very much like StickyHolsters), but the "Remora Tuckable" has an extra flap of their sticky material sewn on. The space between the holster and the flap is smooth, so the shirt can be tucked and untucked easily, but the outer surfaces of the holster still grip firmly to the waistband and your undershirt (or skin). I've been using it for about a week, and that little sucker just doesn't move!

A small .380 makes a pretty insignificant bulge in your waistline, visible only if you're staring from above, which nobody does. There's no clip, hook or clamp to create additional bulk, or to advertise to the world that you have something hidden beneath your belt. And it does come with a detachable, spring steel clip that can be slid over a belt for extra security when you don't need to tuck your shirt.

Their larger sizes work just as well, although I've decided that anything larger than a single-stack (and those may just barely qualify) simply creates too much of a bulge on your waistline to look at all natural. It would work great if you also had a sport coat or some other outer garment, but still needed to look professional with a shirt tucked under it.

Look up and see! https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/tuckable-holsters/

I'm not selling these or getting kickbacks I'm just impressed with their product. I won't add any of my own pictures, since they don't show anything that's not already seen on their site or in other people's reviews.