The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 21, 2016, 03:58 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Optics Options

Need some opinions on what optics I might consider for two of my rifles.

I currently have an Eotech 512 on my M1A EBR and moderate quality (it wasn't the most expensive nor the cheapest) red dot on my new AR.

Upon further consideration I'm thinking I'll move the 512 to the AR and try to find something with a little more magnification for the M1A. I don't want to break the bank and I don't need something with x36 magnification but something in the range of x4 or x5 might be nice. I'll save the red dot for some later project.

Thoughts on an optic for the M1A EBR?

PS: I tried to upload pics of my current setup but I can't get them to upload. I figure most of you can visualize it.
Old August 21, 2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Pahoo

Consider Tacticals

Lots of options here but while you are shopping around, you might want to take a look at the Tactical scopes, like Sniper or CenterPoint. Very reasonably priced and can take a bit of abuse. You can also go hi-end Tactical. Most come with illuminated reticles and Mil-Dot. Some old school old-school riflemen don't care for the AR types or Tactical scopes. I recall reading that today's low-end scopes have better optics than yesterday's high-end scopes. ....

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 21, 2016, 11:43 PM   #3
'88Scrat

I considered a Trijacon ACOG but good God its almost more than my AR. I just don't see how it can be worth that.
Old August 23, 2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Polinese

Do you have a particular budget in mind because that will dictate a lot with something like this.